i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night - Page 4

i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

This is a discussion on i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What makes this worse is that area is not known for violent crime. Local l.e. probably doesn't have alot of experience with this sort of ...

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    What makes this worse is that area is not known for violent crime. Local l.e. probably doesn't have alot of experience with this sort of thing.

Wow... sorry to hear that you and your family had to experience such a situation!

I don't think you can critique the situation much, other than what you already said, "don't open the door to strange people" or be armed if you must open it.

While none of us want anymore guns in the wrong hands, look at the bright side. You gave up thousands of dollars worth of guns and other belongings but kept yourself and son alive through the entire ordeal!

I'm glad you're alive. Don't open the door unarmed.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

VIP Member
    Glad to hear you are okay. Things will settle down and you'll be able to sleep pretty soon... My first 'fight or flight' situation kept me awake for about 3 days, from the adrenaline dump, when it finally wore off I slept for like 14 hours... You may want to talk to a professional about your experience... Take care and hang in there...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i have a combat knife hanging from my door and i always grab a hold of it before i answer the door so that if anybody pushes through it is automatically in my hand and ready to go. im never going to be caught off guard again
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

I'm glad your wife and daughter were out of the house.

This robbery could have turned ugly very ugly in a real hurry.

I hope the LE gets all of them and you get your property back.

FWIW, I have family I don't trust ether.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by tpurdin View Post
    think there was anything else I could have done? anything I did wrong? I have slept maybe 3 hours since thurs night and cant stop thinking about what could have happened. they believe the suspects have been robbin business's around town and they shot someone last week, i really cant say much else because the investigation is still on going but I feel I am pretty lucky to be alive. Just wanted to share with you guys just to let you know that it can happen anytime and do NOT get complacient
    tpurdin,

First, while I agree with others who have said you do not need to beat yourself up, it sounds like you are anyway. Get some help. Find a counselor who deals with Post-Traumatic Stress. You have been through an incredibly bad scenario, and playing it over in your mind is natural. Thinking of how much worse it could have been is natural. Find a professional to talk it through. Police/Victims Advocates should have some recommendations.

Second, as has been noted, do you need to harden your house, change locks, etc? Did they take anything which would allow them access to your house, like garage door openers?

Third, do you need to stay somewhere else for awhile while they are tracking down the professionals?

Fourth, what can you do out of this that helps others? Who can you talk to about the 'it can't happen to us, it did happen to us' mindset? Use this terrible event for good. Don't let it rule you.

God bless. You are alive. You have learned. This will get better.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    FWIW, I have family I don't trust ether.
    Add me to that list, too...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Add me to that list, too...
    Me, too. Main reason for talking my wife into "getting a gun" (she has no idea about the one I have). It seems to be working...

Glad you made it through...

Will keep you all in prayer.

Jang and several others are definitely worth paying attention to - good advice (even if it is free!)

Replace your front door! Get something without glass - use a peep hole - and I still like a camera/surveillance system, especially if you can combine it with an intercom... Yelling or speaking through the door advertises your location to those on the other side of the door.

Good presence of mind to have the alarm system

If you need to talk - or someone to sit in the drive or at the curb so you can sleep... PM

That is why I have Cameras at my Front door, Backdoor & Garage door. All I have to do is turn on my TV in my bedroom and hit video mode and access my cameras. If I am at my computer all I have to do is hit "Instant DVD Recorder" button and a window opens on my computer monitor that accesses my Cameras. I never answer my door at night without my M&P357Sig or Taurus PT24/7 Pro 45ACP in my hand. You know it is really sad but in reality, family is the most likely to get you messed up because most of us drop our guard when it comes to family and that is where the problem lies. Most of us go into full alert mode for a stranger so it stands to reason they would have a harder time getting the drop on us.

Okay, let me be the devil's advocate.
    Forgive me if I'm off base.
    If I had you on the stand, I'd be asking if you made this up.

My first problem came with you and your wife carrying around the house, being called at all hours by a weird cousin,
    and then you BOTH leave your guns on the mantle? If I was being harassed, I'd have more guns handy, not fewer.

The police should have caught the cousin immediately. He might then give up the other two guys.

You identified the other two as black guys, why? To prejudice the story?

Why didn't they shoot you? You could certainly identify them.

But the big "Hmmmm..." for me was you saying they carried your safe with 16 guns upstairs and out the door. Maybe, but I know everyone has a bunch of stuff besides guns in their safe, and if it was any safe, two guys couldn't carry it away that fast. Up stairs.

So, I'm not buying............just yet.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'm not quite clear, how many BGs had guns? Was it the cousin or masked man who held the gun to you?

It's a simple maneuver when someone has a gun pressed in your back to spin block and take the gun away from them. Simple if you practice it, and even then you are tossing a coin that everything goes right the first time. Failure can be disastrous. I'm glad it worked out for you but I can't see letting myself being led away like that. Never a good scenario.

Cousin was definitely nuts to do this when you could ID him. I think he chickened out on shooting you. Did you know where he was staying?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Hey SIXTO be on the lookout for this guys weird cousin

Administrator
    Eh, it would be easy enough for me to verify the story if needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links