i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night - Page 7

i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

This is a discussion on i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Geeezzzz............. You can choose your wife but you can't choose her family............. Home invasion style. Especially with a 3 yr. old with you. Your one ...

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

Geeezzzz.............
    You can choose your wife but you can't choose her family.............
    Home invasion style. Especially with a 3 yr. old with you. Your one darn lucky Dad.
    Even being armed in a home evasion, things happen in milliseconds. Maybe just as well if the lead started flying with your little boy there.
    Pretty Scary............

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post

Replace your front door! Get something without glass - use a peep hole - and I still like a camera/surveillance system, especially if you can combine it with an intercom... Yelling or speaking through the door advertises your location to those on the other side of the door.

When I was redoing my house I found some storm doors at Home Depot that not only have the traditional handle latch but when locked have top and bottom pins like on a safe. The glass is laminated and a video running by the display shows guys with 16# sledge hammers beating on the glass and all that happens is the glass shakes. This allows you to harden without shutting out the light and gives full view of the outside.

You can do the same for your windows; you have to replace them and use replacements with "hurricane glass"; developed to withstand hurricane driven projectiles and is the same type laminated glass as in the door. It cost a bit more (~20%) but I replaced the windows in my house and all ground level windows and sliding glass doors are hurricane glass. They had to be ordered by the supply house because hurricane glass is not required where the house is but for the peace of mind it is worth it.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I have nothing much to add except my best wishes and the recommendation you go to the various pawn shops and FFL's within a 20 mile radius and check for your stolen firearms. One of them might just turn up, it could be returned to you, and lead to another suspect's identity
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I can't think of any situation where it might be better to be unarmed.
    I'm not going to rely on the good nature of my attacker to decide if I live or die.
    I can't think of a more rediculous statement than that. How about if you had the gun you could have thrown fire at those mothers as they came through the door way. Remember, they're criminals, not police or military. They aren't going to keep pushing in under fire to achieve the mission. Once someone starts shooting back the criminals are likely going to turn and run like hell. Especially if the first guy in the door starts spouting bullets through his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I can't think of a more rediculous statement than that. How about if you had the gun you could have thrown fire at those mothers as they came through the door way. Remember, they're criminals, not police or military. They aren't going to keep pushing in under fire to achieve the mission. Once someone starts shooting back the criminals are likely going to turn and run like hell. Especially if the first guy in the door starts spouting bullets through his back.
    Amen to that! honestly, I would rather die fighting than die cowering! also I don't know what I would do in a situation as the OP was in.

I'm glad you and your family are safe and those involved get what they deserve!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    +1 This has inspired me to hide a .357 Python near the front door just in case I get caught unarmed in the house....although I am also more convinced to try to never be caught unarmed even at home. I showed this story to my () wife and she told me to make sure I was always armed.
    "The sheep hate the sheepdog almost as much as the wolf until a wolf shows up."

i have watched a ton of robbery surveillance videos online.....and in every one that i can remember as soon as the thugs see a gun pointed back at them, they fall over themselves trying to exit the place.....

may, may not have happened in this case but im with the above poster who would rather go down fighting these punks

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    i have watched a ton of robbery surveillance videos online.....and in every one that i can remember as soon as the thugs see a gun pointed back at them, they fall over themselves trying to exit the place.....

may, may not have happened in this case but im with the above poster who would rather go down fighting these punks
    What's that quote? "They may find me dead, but by God there will be a pile of brass next to me" ?

Again, I'm glad it played out safely for the OP, no matter what. I personally just decided long ago I'm not going to the floor for anyone. In this case though, complying may have saved their lives.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    What's that quote? "They may find me dead, but by God there will be a pile of brass next to me" ?

Again, I'm glad it played out safely for the OP, no matter what. I personally just decided long ago I'm not going to the floor for anyone. In this case though, complying may have saved their lives.
    you got that right, my friend.....

tpurdin,

thank you very much for sharing your experience.......

this just confirms my practice of not only carrying outside the house, but INSIDE AS WELL.....the only time i ever take my gun off is when im sleeping, and then it is within arms reach........no kids in my house

and as far as answering the door goes....my rule is i never, ever, ever open the door unless i am expecting you or i KNOW who you are.......having a weird relative/friend like in your situation, the door would have never been opened...PERIOD......

i cant count the people who have come up to my door banging on it for whatever reason, and i am in plain view through the living room window, and i dont give a damn if they think im rude or whatever....I DONT OWE ANYBODY ANYTHING in my house, and that includes opening up a door for someone i dont know........just yesterday some clown pulled up in my driveway in some truck that sells "seafood and meat"....starts banging on my door, sees me sitting in the living room and starts yelling at me through the window......told him to get off my property NOW.....

in your situation i dont know if having your gun on you would have prevented what happened since they got the "jump on you".......but im glad you came out unharmed......

thanks for sharing...

bruce
    +1000 Glad you survived this invasion. Lady Luck on one shoulder and Guardian Angel on the other!

Bruce, as have I. 10 out of 10 times once a criminal has a gun pointed back at him he runs like hell. Once a victim or civilian pulls a gun these thugs will literally run through a glass window to flee to safety.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwguy View Post
    Reread Rotorblade's statement.

I don't think Rotorblade is saying that he cannot think of a better situation in which to be unarmed; he is saying that he cannot think of any situation where it would be better(a good thing) to be unarmed. There is a difference. He then reinforces it by saying that he is not going to rely on the good nature of his attacker to decide if he lives or dies.

I took both statements to mean that he is going to be armed and throwing fire at them when they come through the door.

Rotorblade, correct me if I am wrong.
    Yes, let him speak for himself. IMO he was saying that the OP was lucky he wasn't armed because everything turned out ok, as opposed to the OP having a gun and escalating the situation with bad results.

In the end, I'm glad the OP and his boy made it out unscathed, but shaken. This will teach daddy to stay armed and little junior not to open the door for anyone.

I'm not trying to computer chair quarter back this one, I'm just saying always be armed and blast them as they come through the door.

Guys...guys...remember that in the OP's story, a gun was shoved right into him. He was always aware of his son but I am guessing he doesn't know where exactly he is at the time, or he is aware but he is thinking of him...his safety. The door was already opened so he can't act like a Rambo warrior at the time because of the boy....sabes???
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I can't think of any situation where it might be better to be unarmed.
    I'm not going to rely on the good nature of my attacker to decide if I live or die.
    Given the context of post #70 (a reply to a previous post), I read it to mean he couldn't think of any situation in which one is better off unarmed. Sounds like he is agreeing with be armed and fight back and not rely on any good nature from a BG.

Just how I read it.

In any event, once the door was opened he had to deal with the circumstances as they were...unarmed. They are fortunate to be unharmed physically, although emotional harm will take time to heal. The material posessions can be replaced or recovered.

No one will ever know what would have happened otherwise, so its pure speculation. Bullets blazing from three people with a child in the room certainly has potential for a bad outcome the same as relying upon the BGs to have mercy. The OP and his son are safe, so that is all that matters in hindsight.

I'll say a prayer for you and your family to stay safe. Being targeted by "family" and his cohorts is scary...keep your guard up and I hope they catch them soon
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Thanks for posting

4 hours ago I had to explain (yet again) to my 4 & 6 year old why they are NEVER allowed to open the door, ever, without me or their mom saying it's OK. Then I read this.

To the OP, thank you for sharing. I pray I never have to experience anything like this. It's reinforced my position on a few things re: home defense.

God bless your family, despite your current circumstances it sounds like he already has. Love on your son, be glad your alive and don't beat yourself up.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links