i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

This is a discussion on i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not going to say much other than... glad you and your son are ok.... and... What did your wife say when she got home? ...

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I'm not going to say much other than... glad you and your son are ok.... and... What did your wife say when she got home?

Why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves up.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I can't think of a more rediculous statement than that. How about if you had the gun you could have thrown fire at those mothers as they came through the door way. Remember, they're criminals, not police or military. They aren't going to keep pushing in under fire to achieve the mission. Once someone starts shooting back the criminals are likely going to turn and run like hell. Especially if the first guy in the door starts spouting bullets through his back.
    J.....you've misread my post. I'm taking issue with another poster who said the victim was lucky he wasn't armed.
    I think in general you have a much better chance of fighting back.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Like you said you can move it when it isn't loaded with other stuff. His was.

Okay, I knew I was in the minority when I wrote what I felt.
    No offense to anyone. But................

They have you down with a gun to your head, and they carry the safe out, only to have to break it open later. Why didn't the guy with the gun ask you for the combination? Seems easy enough for me?

I'm just sayin'
    Why? If they have the tools to open it at their place it would be simpler to take it and cut it open.

Ape
    I can't add anything that hasnt already been said. But I feel compelled to first send my well wishes for you and your family. I couldn't imagine the terror you felt and must still be experiencing. AS TXJB said, look into some theraputic help. If anything for your wife and kids who may have a hard time later in life because of something like this trauma.

I've always been a big proponent of carrying while at home. My go to line is "When do you feel the safest? AT HOME! Which is why you should carry at home instead of leeting your guard down". Comes across as paranoid but there's some reality in there as well.

That being said....even if you were carrying you wouldn't have had much of a chance to use your gun by the sounds of things. Which makes me rethink my cautious door opening procedures. As it should everyone else who reads this.

Lastly, for those of you who think your big old safes can't be moved by a couple of guys..... Guess again! Unless you have a 100 gun safe loaded to the hilt......It CAN be moved if not bolted down! Granted, the bigger one's might need a dolly to do so, but it's still relatively easily done. Go unbolt your safe's and try it some time. I assume they're bolted down at least?
    And even the largest of safes loaded to the top can still be moved by two guys and a dolly. If you have a nice safe that was delivered to your house by the originating company you should have already seen this somewhat demonstrated with it empty. ;-)

The OP stated he had a gun safe with 16 guns in it. Doesn't sound to me like it would've been all that heavy for two guys to manipulate.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    WOW.....my condolences and congratulations to you and your son for getting through that unscathed. This POS cousin needs to brought down hard and fast. I know what is like to be robbed (at knife point) and I told myself never again. This gun doesnt leave my hip until the doors are locked,the lights are out and I know my girl and housemates are home. Im in a shady part of town too, and its terrifying to know these people will venture to the burbs looking for an easy score.

Good luck/God bless

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    sorry to hear you were involved in what had to be a very trying experience...especially with a child involved...i hope you can work your way through it...

its a blessing that no physical harm came to your son or yourself....we could play this scenario through a thousand times with different outcomes but none of them would probably be as good as it did work out...fortunately for you...

it definately made me rethink some of my habits and will go a long way helping me train my family...thanks for sharing...

ntg
    My thanks to you for sharing to help us. I don't question your integrity on this and anyone who did is disrespectful and out of line. Even if I did question it in my mind, what good is it going to do in a virtual world to question it? For most of us your hundreds of miles away and the truth of you story will not affect our lives. Even if it was made up, you've made us think, which helps us keep our 'edge', and we should be thanking you anyway. So, THANK YOU, is what any of us should say. I believe you and my prayers are with you. May it turn out as well as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieShoot View Post
    Why? If they have the tools to open it at their place it would be simpler to take it and cut it open.
    Maybe. But why would they want to lug a loaded safe up and out, then transport it in (a car?) only to break into it, then have the evidence to dispose of, or be caught with a broken safe with their fingerprints all over it?
    Seems to me (I'm not a criminal) that it would have make more sense to say, "Open the safe or we'll kill you." Then carry the contents out.

Now, according to the account, there were three BG's in the house, as well as a lookout and a driver. That's five people.
    Where did they put the safe? Hold it on their laps while they made the getaway? Pickup truck? Maybe, but five people can't ride in the front of a pickup so a couple had to jump in the back, right? Did they bring a truck knowing they were going to carry out a safe? How did they know?
    Think about it.

Ape
    Maybe. But why would they want to lug a loaded safe up and out, then transport it in (a car?) only to break into it, then have the evidence to dispose of, or be caught with a broken safe with their fingerprints all over it?
    Seems to me (I'm not a criminal) that it would have make more sense to say, "Open the safe or we'll kill you." Then carry the contents out.

Now, according to the account, there were three BG's in the house, as well as a lookout and a driver. That's five people.
    Where did they put the safe? Hold it on their laps while they made the getaway? Pickup truck? Maybe, but five people can't ride in the front of a pickup so a couple had to jump in the back, right? Did they bring a truck knowing they were going to carry out a safe? How did they know?
    Think about it.
    I don't understand your obsession with not wanting to believe the OP?????
    Since when are criminals think rationally or make sense????
    And who's to say they didn't have a big SUV or four door truck????

But more importantly what does it matter to you????

Maybe. But why would they want to lug a loaded safe up and out
    Time. It's much faster, and you're out of the crime scene, to just grab and run.

There is a story involving a friend of mine and his daughter that if I told it no one on here would believe it because it is so unbelievable. I believe the guy because irrational people do irrational things that rational people cannot always rationalize!

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    But more importantly what does it matter to you????
    I thought this was an intellectual exercise.
    Okay, I'll lay out and let the rule.

To start, up front, I'm someone who believes you fully. Don't let a few online doubters get to you. All that should matter if you were there. There are many things on the internet, and in real life, that are hard to believe happened. Peole have their guard up. You have nothing to prove to them, let the doubters say their peace and consider it constructive feedback not on the truth of if it happend, but how you expressed it (in that way, they might have something to consider).

As for mistakes you made, I have a feeling you have replayed it over and over, and need no more help with that.

I would only suggest one thing. Your cousin-in-law may not be the biggest criminal. He deserves jail time, don't get me wrong, and is never to be trusted.

When I first read your posts, I wondered if the people he was hanging with were the ones that under threat forced him into action. Maybe he owed them money or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    ...because irrational people do irrational things that rational people cannot always rationalize!
    It is a difference that may not matter, but sometimes it is not crazy family you have to worry about, but the people they hang out with or get under the thumb of.

The reason I think this, is it is hard to believe he felt he could really get away with the crime (even if crazy). Maybe he is just messed up in the head, or maybe there is something bigger going on. It may appear that it is over, but now your concern should be the friends of the friends (the associates of the associates your cousin-in-law is now ratting on).

Fight the fight via LE, but stay on your toes. Just a thought, take it for what it is worth.

PS- Some here will really disagree with me, but if it were me in your shoes after such a violent crime, I would have to consider a move, at least until things cooled down. Then again, I've become a bit of a coward. I'm good on the spot, but afterwards, the fear of what may come gets to me.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    It has nothing to do with it being an "intellectual exercise".
    You're statements have impugned his credibility, and that adds nothing to any tactical review of the situation.

Either review and accept the situation as presented, and participate or not.

Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out how the line of thinking you presented adds nothing to the learning value.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

The intellectual exercise is discussing what, if anything, could be done in such a situation to improve one's safety, and how to be better prepared.

What's intellectual about questioning whether or not it happened?

I appreciate the OP telling what happened, its really enforcing the idea of being aware of the possible flaws in one's assumptions (regarding family, in this case).

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links