i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

This is a discussion on i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well this was a very scary and real situation that happened to me thursday night. I am breaking the story into 2 parts so you ...

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: i was robbed at gunpoint thurs night

well this was a very scary and real situation that happened to me thursday night. I am breaking the story into 2 parts so you can get the story and what was leading up to this:

Part 1.
    My wife and I have been married for 9 years. When i first married her i met her family, she had a half cousin we will call him "sam" so "sam" moved away when he was 10 years old and we have not seen him since. Last Sunday my wife gets a call and it is "sam" he is saying he is back in town and was trying to see all his family he has not seen in years after talking to him for 30 min or so he asked if he could come see us in our new home and visit. My wife told him yes and he was due to come over the following evening ( monday ) he was supposed to be here at 8:00pm and he didnt show up untill 11:00pm, my wife told him it was kind of late and he couldnt stay long. "sam" came in and i immedietly noticed he was a little on the weird side, he just didnt seem to have all his bearings. he stayed an hour or so talking about "good ole times" and "storys of the past". He finally left and I told my wife that there was something weird about him and I didnt want him to come back over, my wife agreed with me and said she didnt want him overhere anymore either. Well on Tuesday he started calling, called like 15 times and wanted to come over, my wife told him no we were busy, so then Wednesday he called 10 or 15 times wanting to come over, my wife again told him no we were busy. So thursday afternoon he started calling my wife at 4:00 asking if he could come over, she said no she was leaving taking my daughter to cheerleading and he said well will your husband let me come over, she said no he has our son and he is busy as well. now for part 2

part 2
    So my wife and daughter leaves at 6:45 she was going to the church to do cheerleading, she took her gun off and sat it on the mantle, for some reason I took mine off as well and sat in on the mantle next to hers. ( all of our guns are in the safe accept the two we carry ) I was downstairs cleaning and at 7:15 there was a knock at the door, my son jumped up to answer it and I ran after my son telling him not to answer the door, I glanced up and it's my wife's cousin knocking, so I am thinking what is this young idiot wanting we told him not to come over, so i answer the door and he says "whats going on" before i could say "getting ready to leave" a black guy rushes in and has a gun in my face, he was hiding on the side of the home, then the cousin and another black guy walk in, both black men had bandanas over there face but the cousin did not. He put the gun in my face and grabbed my shirt and made me get on the ground face down, he stood overtop of me with the gun to the back of my head asking where all my money was at, I told him I had none, the other 2 guys went through the home and tore my house up. Mind you my 3 year old son is watchng all this unfold. Then, he makes me get up, puts the gun to my middle back and says go downstairs, I walk downstairs. I am thinking in my mind do i turn around and fight him or try to get the gun from him, but i decide to listen to him because i didnt want a stray bullet to hit my son if we got into a scuffle. so i go downstairs ( seperating me and my son ) and he makes me get back on the ground, stands back over me with the gun to my head, he was getting upset cause they were not finding any money. he tells me to keep looking at the ground and i am trying to see whats going on around me, the two guys come downstairs and pick up my safe and carry it out of the house, they come back in and one black guy says to the gunman "we have been here to long lets go" the gunmen says " get your ass back upstairs and find his ****" and then he starts poking me in the back of the head telling me he will kill me if i dont give up my money. I remember that the two guns are on the mantle and the BGs have not seen them yet, i was waiting for them to make a mistake so i could get to the gun, but they didnt make any. so I am now at this point thinking i am going to die so again i am thinking do i fight or lay here and go out like this... but my son comes back to mind. then he sees the guns on the mantle and gets them and then slaps me with the gun and says "you think your slick huh" then he asks for my cell phone and house phone and i told him i didnt have any, he found a cell laying on the couch and took it and tells me if i get up he is going to kill me and i hear the footsteps going up the stairs. i waited about 10sec and jumped up and ran upstairs and got my son and they were gone by this time. so i hit the panic button on the alarm and the police came.

It was a very scary situation, they stole 16 guns in total and now i am sitting here without a gun. I am getting another one tomorrow, but this goes to show you that you can not trust anyone, and do not get complacient even inside your home. I dont know why i took my gun off, i usually keep it on untill bed and then i sleep with a 24/7 but this night for some reason i was caught without one, but i am not sure that it would have mattered, the gun was in my face as soon as i opened the door.

ending

think there was anything else I could have done? anything I did wrong? I have slept maybe 3 hours since thurs night and cant stop thinking about what could have happened. they believe the suspects have been robbin business's around town and they shot someone last week, i really cant say much else because the investigation is still on going but I feel I am pretty lucky to be alive. Just wanted to share with you guys just to let you know that it can happen anytime and do NOT get complacient

Wow, glad you came out ok. I really don't know how much reaction time you would have had if the guy just came running up out of nowhere. I hope they catch the guys and you get your property back.

I'm glad that you and your family are ok. I also wish that the BGs are caught and you recover your firearms soon.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Glad you and your son made it out alive. I am not one to critique how you handled the situation, but I never answer my door witout a weapon on me. I leave out in the county and do not get many visitors unannnounced. I do not have any small children around and do have a hidden weapon in several rooms in my home.
    NRA Life Member
    Indiana Lifetime permit holder
    USCCA member

Honestly, I can't believe they didn't shoot you. They set you up for a full-out execution. I don't know how I would have acted in that situation, but I'd certainly want to fight back against the guy leading me downstairs. Of course, if any of my sons were home, I might reconsider.

But, hey, you're alive, so I think you did the right thing.

It's very difficult to second guess someone else's actions/reactions in a situation such as yours. I'm glad you and your son are OK. I will speak on two things you brought out in your story...

1) When the knock came at the door, and your son ran to open it and you warned him, told him NOT to open the door, yet when you saw it was the cousin, the one that both you and your wife felt "weird" about, the one that both you and your wife did NOT want back in your home, YOU opened the door to him. WHY?

2) Why did BOTH you and your wife disarm? More importantly, why did you disarm in your own home and answer your door, to an individual that your "spidey" senses had already warned you about, without being armed.

Hindsight on your part and second guessing on my part will not solve the problems you encountered. YOU know NOW how to solve those problems. I believe someone higher than both of us was watching over you and your son. I'm thankful again that you and your son are safe. I hope I could and would have done at least as good as you did given the circumstances.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'm so glad you are ok...and since you and your son are alive, IMO you did everything right.

Considering this was a true set up, I think they would have gained access to your home one way or another. If so, maybe you would have had time to reach your gun, maybe not.

OTOH, there were more of them, even if you had your gun. Unless you and your son had holed up with it in a 'safe room' and called 911 and gotten a fast response, it may really be better that you were unarmed.

God bless & I hope you find some peace of mind again soon.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member
    Ugghhh. Makes me sick. Does this mean that a throw away cell phone is a good idea? We have plenty of old ones around. Maybe I'll leave one on my desk.

I like to carry in the home but honestly it sounds like you are fortunate to have not had a firearm handy, as it might have turned more violent.

And your young son, hope he's doing ok.

My dog would have been going NUTS.

btw, it sounds like the idiot cousin got hooked up with a couple of pros, or at least very experienced bgs. His cut is probably minor, just drug money. He was doing nothing but scouting for them, for the $$.

I sure hope you can track down him at least, thru other family members?

And I really think you are alive because you werent wearing your gun. If you wear it all the time until bed....do you think the cousin noticed it on his first visit?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Holy crap. Glad you're ok.
    Not being there, in your shoes it's too easy to Monday Morning quarterback.
    Myself though, I won't answer the door without the firearm. I also won't allow anyone to put me on the floor. In my mind, that's a sign of a pending execution.

The fact that you're alive though means you played the situation ok, somehow.

Best wishes.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member
    Glad to hear you and your son are ok besides a little shaken up.

I'd be warning other family members to not let him in their homes and to call the police if they do hear from him.

Things like this are really making me consider cameras at my doors so I can see who is outside and around the perimeter before answering. Plus it's good evidence should anything happen.

I too am not going to MMQ this.

I'm sure you will find fault in things you did, or didn't do. That is to be expected. Maybe at a later date you can critique yourself, and have others critique you as well, but not while things are still running in turmoil through your mind.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You are alive and unharmed physically. That is the one and only objective in my mind. The other stuff, we can deal with later.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Time to find Sam and ask him a few questions Abu Ghraib style.

Damn! Glad you and your son are ok, but sorry for the loss of property and situation. I probably wouldnt of done anything different, although we dont really know unless we were in your shoes. Hopefully some of the guns will turn up at pawn shops. Hopefully you and your son wont be scarred too much from this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

I am glad that you and your son are ok, feel fortunate nobody was hurt, a home invasion a couple of doors down from me left a elderly man in the hospital hanging on to life by a thread all over a SS check! As for your half cousin I would be looking for him, if found I think a "chat" would be in order...just sayin...
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links