First person account of a SD shooting - Page 2

First person account of a SD shooting

This is a discussion on First person account of a SD shooting within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KralBlbec That is very interesting. I too have always avoided covering the slide at all. I'm going to have to read up ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First person account of a SD shooting

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    That is very interesting. I too have always avoided covering the slide at all. I'm going to have to read up on that. I might be marking myself as a noob with this question, but how would an external hammer make any difference shooting backwards?
    Nowhere to put your thumb on the slide.

Edit: Not to mention the grip safety. I don't own any guns with a grip safety but it seems that it might be difficult to engage the safety and hold the slide at the same time one handed.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I'm not sure that can be done with a 1911.
    I don't see why not; in fact, because of the positive capture nature of 1911 feeding, a spec 1911 would not only be able to shoot there, but also cycle and reload while upside-down. OPFOR is right about the thumb-ouchie, though, and it is an interesting example of how the grip safety might cause problems...

Looking at the pictures of the CBOB's owner, I'd say he was pretty lucky to come out of that situation as well as he did.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    Nowhere to put your thumb on the slide.

Edit: Not to mention the grip safety. I don't own any guns with a grip safety but it seems that it might be difficult to engage the safety and hold the slide at the same time one handed.
    I got ya. For some reason I was thinking "external hammer = revolver" and wondered what that had to do with it. None of my semiautos have external hammers (glocks rule )

Wow; I wonder how the other guy ended up? I read he was hit in the hand, but was curious about jail time.....

As for shooting someone depicted in the photo with an autopistol, I would rather have a wheel gun for that. It wouldn't jam, and with the auto, it would almost certainly jam up from that angle, then you have to deal with an attacker who has a gun behind you and a jammed gun.....

Bad tactics there. But a plus for anybody carrying a wheel gun. 5 rounds from a .357 in the guys guts and pelvis could open up major arteries, not to mention break the pelvic bone and that guy won't be going very far. He will either bleed out if you hit an artery or vessel, or he will go down from a broken pelvis.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "I had the little problem with the next round not going off, thinking I had a jam, I ducked behind the table to clear the gun and yelled for everyone to stay down. I looked down and saw how bad my hands were as I cleared the round out, and stood back up to continue fire. (Looking back on it, I think I realized that I wasn't getting a good grip due to the screwed up hand and neglected to engage the grip safety)"

Not wanting to start a new argument over grip safeties, but this does tend to make one reconsider its worth.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "I had the little problem with the next round not going off, thinking I had a jam, I ducked behind the table to clear the gun and yelled for everyone to stay down. I looked down and saw how bad my hands were as I cleared the round out, and stood back up to continue fire. (Looking back on it, I think I realized that I wasn't getting a good grip due to the screwed up hand and neglected to engage the grip safety)"

Not wanting to start a new argument over grip safeties, but this does tend to make one reconsider its worth.
    If ones hand was so messed up that they could not engage the grip safety, then they would still have problems with "limp wristing" in some form or fashion & it would probably not matter .....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    But a plus for anybody carrying a wheel gun.
    My thoughts exactly. Real world scenarios like this are really making me think my EDC should be a revolver. Sometimes, simple is better.

And since I've stirred up that hornet's nest, this scenario is yet another reason for carrying with one in the chamber!
    Last edited by slingshot554; January 25th, 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: missing word

Senior Moderator
    Grip safetys have been used for a long time.

Reading about someone getting shot in both hands and not being able to manipulate it because it had a grip safety, does not make me want to go out and sell my Government Models.

As for not carrying a round in the chamber, there is no good reason for it. Its a simple training issue that can be overcome if one does not feel comfortable with doing so.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Wow, I'm glad the victim and his friends survived, with only "minor" injuries. That's got to be a very scary situation and probably leaves more of an emotional/mental toll than a physical one. I'm glad they caught the dirtbag though.

And as for the grip safety, I'm sure it varies from gun to gun. I have an XD and it's EXTREMELY easy to engage and i don't think I could hold the gun and NOT engage it.

VIP Member
    I've been carrying a P230 as a back up (though I don't always carry a BUG), but a good snubbie is looking better and better...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I may be completely off base, but looking at the technique above, I saw a flaw. After attempting it myself, that draw seems very slow and easily "blocked" by keeping the elbow from ascending. Plus it is quite difficult to get it high enough to do anything but a thigh shot.

Now granted, I understand this is all somewhat Monday morning quarterbacking here, as the fact that the man made it out alive is wonderful, wounded or not. And secondly, this isn't anything in his direction, but more over a tactical look at for myself. After attempting a defense myself, I'd think a no-look right handed shot over my right shoulder (gun upside down with elbow pointing a 11 o'clock) or a switch to my left and fire under my right arm pit might be more effective. Thoughts?
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

It's too bad the "friends" did nothing to assist while the BG was distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    It's too bad the "friends" did nothing to assist while the BG was distracted.

They were probably pretty busy messing their pants....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I may be wrong but I can't help but wonder if he waited too long to engage the robber. He had them laying there execution style, I THINK I would have tried before the BG got so close.

Also had he taken his wallet out and had it laying there when the BG got to him....?

I guess at best I'm just throwing that out for discussion.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I am in no way trying to distract from the OP. I think he did a fantastic job given the circumstances, especially the dealing with the pain of the hits he took.

I would suggest, as others have, that this is a good argument against "any" external safety. I would also suggest that appendix carry might have been an advantage in this circumstance.

I only suggest this for others to consider because the OP did a fantastic job given his circumstances.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links