A defensive scenario for you to react to

This is a discussion on A defensive scenario for you to react to within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened to me Dec. 31 2002. I will give the details, then hopefully some of you will repond with what you'd do. Then I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A defensive scenario for you to react to

A defensive scenario for you to react to

This happened to me Dec. 31 2002. I will give the details, then hopefully some of you will repond with what you'd do. Then I will give what I did.

I am in a F-350 Dually Diesel with a 2 year and a 4 month old baby. I was pulling out across 4 lanes of traffic behind a corvette. There was lots of time to cross. About halfway across the corvette rolls to stop, apparently stalled. Traffic is coming at us, I beep my horn. Not an obnoxious beep, just 'beeep'. The Corvette gets moving, we cross and I continue about a mile to the grocery store. I park pulling into a space with cars in front and to both sides. A few seconds later the Corvette pulls up sideways behind me, blocking me in. Two young guys get out. One uses a big flashlight, the other a chunk of concrete and begin beating on the pass and driver side windows of my truck. When the driver side window explodes, I take action.

What would you have done?
    I will post what I did after a few replies.

2. Remove Ads

I would have worried about the person on my driver side first and opened the door FORCIBLY into said person. I then would have drawn on him and told him to stay on the ground. I would have then pointed my gun at his buddy bud stayed where I was with easy access to my children.
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Distinguished Member
    I'd get on the horn and backup.

Did you have a firearm in the truck?

p.s. then call 911 as you are duallying over the vett.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post

Didn't even think of that. A big bad Diesel can back over a fiberglass sports car with ZERO issues.
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Air condition his Corvertte?

Beating out my windows with weapons? My young child in the car?
    Tough call, but I probably would only have pointed my weapon at the thug nearest my child. Hopefully, he would have backed off.
    I would then put my truck in reverse and my F-350 would T-bone his vet as I back out of the space. His car would have been moved way across the parking lot (becoming undriveable). I would then drive a ways away and call 911. I would keep my eyes on the dirtbags who were beating on my truck and if they tried running towards my truck...well, that's a continues threat and not very bright on their part.

Hopefully, the cops would arrive within the hour for a report on the attempted car-jacking, that's is what you thought, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    With kids in the car I'm not going to start a gun fight if I can avoid it. If I can see the perps hands don't have firearms, I'm throwing it into reverse and rolling the perp's car outta the way. I'll call the 911 once I'm clear and arrange to meet with the officers. I'll do whatever is required to protect my kids, including not damaging their hearing by firing within the vehicle if I can avoid it. But in my book, smashing the window has not escalated to a lethal threat level. I'm just not sticking around to let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post

p.s. then call 911 as you are duallying over the vett.
    Sorry should have posted this, had no phone, had a Beretta 21a pistol with me though.

I'd shoot em... but not with a .22

While backing up over their car and creating distance and then after the threat was neutralized I'd get a passerby to call 911.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Make a pancake out of their vette as you back over it, get to safety and call police. Using a weapon would be the last resort for protecting myself and children.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ok here is what I did- as soon as my side window was broken the young man started grabbing inside the truck, I put it in reverse and floored it. Crushed the front of the Corvette and pushed it aside. I drove to a gas station and called the police. I didn't know that a cop that was eating in a restaurant in the lot had seen the attack and was running towards it. As I left he arrived, one man was arrested the other ran away and was arrested later. They had stolen the car, and one had outstanding warrants. I had to give a statement to the police but that was all. My truck was scratched up a little and I never heard anything about the damaged corvette.
    What I still find interesting in this whole situation (only lasted 15 seconds or so) I never even considered drawing my weapon. Did I forget about it? Did I not consider it life threatoning? I am not sure.

I still go over this event fairly often. Should I have not beeped my horn? Should I have noticed them following me? Did I really forget I was armed?

Good call

I think I would have done the same thing. Your gun should be a last resort, especially with young children in the car.

maddyf: I believe the power of the mind is MUCH more complex than we realize... ie your mind CHOSE NOT to draw (didn't forget about the gun). You were in an auto-mode of self preservation and your brain coupled with your adrenaline and came up with the quick decision of which you made. Your deeper mind realized there was no gun in the hand of the attacker and therefore you did not "need" to use your gun. Hmm, as it turned out, you did the best thing it seems. (and you didn't even have to "think" too much about it.)

Good job.... that's what I was thinking I would do as well.

Wow, and well done. Um....I can speak to pushing things out of the way with a big truck.....@_@

Glad you are ok and way glad there was a cop observing.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    I never even considered drawing my weapon. Did I forget about it? Did I not consider it life threatoning? I am not sure.... Did I really forget I was armed?
    You did draw your weapon. The F-350 was the weapon to use in this situation... You really weren't armed, with that Beretta 21A. It would've been the wrong choice for this situation...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links