Went Condition Orange tonight..

This is a discussion on Went Condition Orange tonight.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have real mixed emotions about this... A good friend of ours, in his early 20s, is selling alarm systems door-to-door for ADT. He makes ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Went Condition Orange tonight..

I have real mixed emotions about this...

A good friend of ours, in his early 20s, is selling alarm systems door-to-door for ADT. He makes good money. He is honest (no criminal background).

But, like most of you, someone who shows up at my door is suspect. I realize they are likely not a threat, but I will not take a chance.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

You need counseling if what's running through your mind is "don't make me shoot you" when a door-to-door salesman knocks at your door. It's one thing to carry a gun at home and be prepared, and it's another thing to be so paranoid that some poor guy selling water heaters, for god's sake, might get shot.

Which reminds me, I need a sign, too. Usually I simply open the door a bit with the chain on, say, "I'm not interested, but thank you." and shut it. Quick and simple. I don't waste their time, they don't waste mine.

TOF
    Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    I think you are paranoid.
    He may be paranoid but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get him.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Remind me not to knock on his door

An inexpensive peephole installed in the door will save you a lot of hassle. Always check it before unlocking the deadbolt.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    The police in our little town request any person having a stranger selling at their door to call the police. They always check if the solicitor has a door to door sales permit. Because of that policy, we very seldom have strangers going door to door in our town. Makes it hard for traveling crooks to case the community.

While the fear factor would not have been there for me (as he described the incident), I would definitely consider the possibility that such a person might be there to size up my security for later or to sell the info for drug $ to local thugs. And to see if he could see what easily removeable valuables you had, like fancy tvs, etc.

I think the precaution of taking his guns was fine to keep them from being stolen, altho in a break-in there's lots more to lose. It's good he saw your dog and not much else.

I would consider hardening or changing some of my security measures after something like this. I mean, look at Tpurdin...he let someone he knew into his home and they turned right around, next day or so, and did a home invasion.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    I think you are paranoid.
    +1 I live in a very good neighborhood. You know how many times someone knocks on the door wants to give me a price on trimming trees, cutting down old palm trees, teenagers selling magazines and various other BS. Ha, as I am typing this, there goes my doorbell.

Personally I dislike all this condition white, blue, orange .... references. But in any event I am always aware of what is going on around me but not to the extent you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Keep in mind what type guy sells water heater and window blankets door to door. Do you think when he was a child he knew he wanted to be a door to door water heater blanket salesman when he grew up? Do you think he might of had some problems in his life that led him to this career choice? I think you were right to be concerned with this guy. Without ever meeting him, I would bet he has seen the inside of a jail. I have an ex brother in law that sells steaks door to door. I know why he is in that career field.
    The OP didn't mention his age so this point might be moot but posted in the halls of buildings at my University are job postings and many of them are door-to-door sales. Many are work at your own pace and might be a good option for a college student. Or... maybe it was the only job the man could get. Door-to-door sales doesn't automatically mean someone has been to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    The OP didn't mention his age so this point might be moot but posted in the halls of buildings at my University are job postings and many of them are door-to-door sales. Many are work at your own pace and might be a good option for a college student. Or... maybe it was the only job the man could get. Door-to-door sales doesn't automatically mean someone has been to jail.
    No, door to door sales does not mean you have been to jail. But when the product is water heater blankets the odds go up.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I live in a semi-rural area. No close neighbors, no street lights. 40 minutes from the nearest sub-station. When the door bell rings and I am not expecting someone, they are met by a visably armed person with his wife as back up. Life is too short to worry about opinions from unwanted guests.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    No, door to door sales does not mean you have been to jail. But when the product is water heater blankets the odds go up.
    well then maybe we should evaluate everyones job here and do a search for related illegal activity...

the amount of speculative character judgement that goes on in some of these forums in order to justify a certain degree of paranoia...for lack of a better term...is really shocking...

one would think that a group who is dicriminated against for the legal activity of carrying a firearm might have an appreciation for or toward less speculative judgment...but it doesnt appear so...seems like we are the juror who says "i can spot a guilty defendant a mile away"....

another incident where a condition code flag went up and a wish for not having to shoot anyone turned out to be unfounded and there are still posts regarding the probability of criminal mindset dur to occupational choice...brilliant...

now take a step back and wonder why people try to control guns...because they dont think any differently than you..."no, just because he suspects something may be suspicious about someone doesnt mean he wants to harm them. but the fact that he carries a gun makes the odds go up"....

yeah...i know...apples and oranges....or is it?...

Come on Guys, Jeezze get a grip, I guess I just live in rural Missouri,, Not a crime ridden ghetto,, But we have people who sell steaks, And we have the "Swans" man also sells food and ice cream and other stuff on a route,, Oh and people do have hot water tank blankets,, saves energy,, The job out look right now,, Is and now get this? That ANY job to feed your family is a good job,, I did't say not to be careful just look out the peep,, I thought the post about the guy who had his carry ready when he answered the door, For girl scout cookies, Was alittle over the top, LOL,,,

I appreciate all of your responses. Perhaps I should have worded "all that was going through my mind is please don't make me shoot you" a little better. I had my head on a swivel, and did have my gun on my hip that he didn't know about. Its the first knock on the door we've had in about 6 months. He was asking questions that weren't his business (can we come by tomorrow? when are you off work?) There are usually 3 cars in the driveway, I was the only one home at the time.

This guy had me on edge, never seen a door to door salesman with a cigarette behind his ear. And as I recall, there's no such thing as paranoid, just prepared. As I stated earlier, I recall what he was selling, but wasn't paying a bit of attention to what he was saying.

Will I continue to go to the door armed, you bet. Am I itching to shoot someone, hell no. Did this guy act in a manner that I thought I might have to defend myself in the present time or in the future, yes he did.

Again I appreciate the responses, you guys and gals have been at this far longer than I have. (relating experiences on an internet forum for others to critique)

As for "taking my guns with me to dinner" There's plenty of stuff in my home that I wouldn't miss, I'd hate to lose i, but I wasn't coming home to my own gun pointed in my face, if that situation had in fact come to pass.
    Last edited by Teufle; January 30th, 2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Had a guy selling cheap steaks tonight,I really gotta get a nolo trespassio sign put up
    I'm making a sign for our garage (away from home, me and several other guys rent a large building together to restore cars...it's in downtown, which is sketchy at night). It will read:

NO TRESPASSING
    -------------------
    Trespassers Will Be Violated
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links