Went Condition Orange tonight.. - Page 3

Went Condition Orange tonight..

This is a discussion on Went Condition Orange tonight.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude I'm making a sign for our garage (away from home, me and several other guys rent a large building together to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Went Condition Orange tonight..

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm making a sign for our garage (away from home, me and several other guys rent a large building together to restore cars...it's in downtown, which is sketchy at night). It will read:

NO TRESPASSING
    -------------------
    Trespassers Will Be Violated
    How about

Trespassers will be prostituted.

I say if either you're too busy to be bothered, or you're not comfortable opening your door to strangers, or you're easily persuaded by sales pitches, then go ahead and just tell them
    "I'm busy - can you just leave a business card or flyer? Thanks."
    Either through the door or out a side-window or intercom.

That way, you acknowledge them, plus they know you're there (in case they're casing for unoccupied houses) and maybe you'll finally find that ultimate mail-order steak via the flyer. :)

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I still believe in the No Solicitation sign will work wonders, nice big visible letters of course, that way all I have to do is say please read teh sign and if they persist, then I will wonder (not necessarily go a color), but as stated, be prepared.

I'm not against making a living either, people have to do what they have to do now a days. I'll just keep being prepared.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Most likely it was nothing, lots of salesman work door2door and he was on his way thinking about how *(&^% his job is.

Always good to be alert though.

Teufle -

I'm reading some of these posts and IMO the people ragging you about being paranoid are way out of line. I have a friend who has been broken into 4 times. Twice those break-ins were preceded by door-to-door salesmen. Coincidence? I think not.

Of course not everyone selling door-to-door is casing your house for a robbery. Some people legitimately make a living doing this. If you want to be polite and careful, you could ask for some way to confirm that they work for the company they say they represent. Ask for a phone number and call on the spot. Usually a criminal is not going to think that far ahead.

For sure you need to get a safe, and you need to work on some other home security issues. Also remember, if you don't want to answer the door when some stranger knocks, that is your option. If you want to yell through the door that you're not interested and they should go, that's your option too. I don't have a problem with school kids trying to win a skateboard by selling the most cookbooks, or whatever. Usually I will happily buy from them, but if some random adult salesperson comes by they get a firm but polite "No, thanks." And I don't answer the door for a stranger unarmed.

Stay safe,

Darren
    Freedom Doc likes this.

Door

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    I think you are paranoid.
    I don't. I had a car in my driveway at 1AM and some guy at the front door asking directions. I had a 1911 in my hand, condition 1, and told him I did not know where he was talking about. I could see 3 othe guys in the car.
    Out house was in the middle of the block, lights out.
    So, I said can't help you and shut down the porch lights. He go into the car, backed out, and took off post haste, with HIS lights out.
    I called the police, and they took a report
    If I wan't home, the house would have been cleaned out.
    The next day, I installed an alarm with a prominate red indicator near the door and signs on all windows.
    BTW< a week later they were caught a mile away, breaking in to a home. They cops had me ID him.
    Paranoid? The BGs us a rouse like selling XXXX or taking a survey for XXXX to "case the house"
    Freedom Doc likes this.

Here is how I see it; if the nice old ladies from the church want to invite me to worship with them, that's OK. I'm not interested, but I won't stand there with my hand on my Glock. It's on my person, concealed, I'm watching my surroundings, but I'm not going Rambo on anyone.

If a student knocks on the door wanting to sell magazines/candy bars/ et al, same thing: I'm not interested, but nothing untoward is causing me to be overly rambunctious.

If a man knocks on my door, with a cig behind his ear, dressed like he's been wearing the same clothes for a week, and appears "sketchy" (I'll know it when I see it ...), then yes, I'll be much more observant and have a heightened sense of awareness. Will the situation go to pot? I certainly hope not, but if it does, I'll be ready.

Are you paranoid? It doesn't sound like it to me, sounds like you are fully aware of your surroundings, and that aint bad.
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveller, not a tourist.

A traveller doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Great job, Rugergirl!

Quote Originally Posted by rugergirl View Post
    check with your local municipality and ask what the requirements are for door to door solicitors.
    Where i live a business must apply to the city for a permit to solicit, unless they are with a religious organization.
    If your city does the same, just ask the person to see their permit. If they don't have one, they won't hang around long, if you see them continue going door to door, call the police and tell them about it.
    I had an incident with a solicitor without a permit who showed up, i told him i was interested in changing my phone service and he needed to go. He responded by telling me i should show him my phone bill and he would show me how much money i could save with his company. I told him a little more firmly, "no, it's time to go". He continued to carry on about seeing my phone bill. I picked up the garden hose i had been washing my truck with and pointed it at him, and very firmly said "good bye". I must have printed when i bent over to pick up the hose, his eyes got huge and he pointed at my hip and asked if "that" was a gun. Again i tell him goodbye, and he asks about the gun again. Enough, i drew my cell phone from the other hip and called the police reporting a solicitor who wouldn't leave. There was a patrol car nearby and he arrived before i was done speaking with the dispatcher. Turns out the guy had no permit, and he refused to provide id when asked, but kept telling the officer i had a gun. The officer asked, and i showed him my cpl. He was fine with that, but after the whole thing washed out with the officer, it turned out he was charged with soliciting without a permit, trespassing, and he had 3 outstanding warrants. He got a free ride downtown and an hour or later, the officer shows up, to let me know what happened. He asked why i was outside with this scumbag, and told me i shouldn't come outside to talk to solicitors. I told him i had been outside washing my truck when the clown showed up and normally i don't even answer the door for strangers. He asked again about the cpl and what i was carrying. I told him a 1911 and he thought that was great, and asked if i showed the gun at all. I laughed and told him "no, i must have been printing when i brandished the hose nozzle at the guy". We both got a good laugh and he told me to stay safe.
    He stopped by again a few month later to let me know this guy wouldn't be bothering me again, turns out the guy ended up locked up for a long time, one of his warrants had been for kidnapping! He asked again if i was carrying, i told him everyday, everywhere i legally can, and he told me that he wished more people would do the same.
    well done!

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    You need counseling if what's running through your mind is "don't make me shoot you" when a door-to-door salesman knocks at your door. It's one thing to carry a gun at home and be prepared, and it's another thing to be so paranoid that some poor guy selling water heaters, for god's sake, might get shot.

Which reminds me, I need a sign, too. Usually I simply open the door a bit with the chain on, say, "I'm not interested, but thank you." and shut it. Quick and simple. I don't waste their time, they don't waste mine.
    How's this for a sign:

GO AWAY

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    How's this for a sign:

GO AWAY

I like it, since some people can't read the other one. This one is simple and gets the point across.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

he could of been just a door to door salesman. sometimes they park at the end of a block, and go from house to house
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Check with your local municipality and ask what the requirements are for door to door solicitors.
    Where I live a business must apply to the city for a permit to solicit, unless they are with a religious organization.
    If your city does the same, just ask the person to see their permit. If they don't have one, they won't hang around long, if you see them continue going door to door, call the police and tell them about it.
    I had an incident with a solicitor without a permit who showed up, I told him I was interested in changing my phone service and he needed to go. He responded by telling me I should show him my phone bill and he would show me how much money I could save with his company. I told him a little more firmly, "No, it's time to go". He continued to carry on about seeing my phone bill. I picked up the garden hose I had been washing my truck with and pointed it at him, and very firmly said "Good bye". I must have printed when I bent over to pick up the hose, his eyes got huge and he pointed at my hip and asked if "that" was a gun. Again I tell him goodbye, and he asks about the gun again. Enough, I drew my cell phone from the other hip and called the police reporting a solicitor who wouldn't leave. There was a patrol car nearby and he arrived before I was done speaking with the dispatcher. Turns out the guy had no permit, and he refused to provide ID when asked, but kept telling the officer I had a gun. The officer asked, and I showed him my CPL. He was fine with that, but after the whole thing washed out with the officer, it turned out he was charged with soliciting without a permit, trespassing, and he had 3 outstanding warrants. He got a free ride downtown and an hour or later, the officer shows up, to let me know what happened. He asked why I was outside with this scumbag, and told me I shouldn't come outside to talk to solicitors. I told him I had been outside washing my truck when the clown showed up and normally I don't even answer the door for strangers. He asked again about the CPL and what I was carrying. I told him a 1911 and he thought that was great, and asked if I showed the gun at all. I laughed and told him "No, I must have been printing when I brandished the hose nozzle at the guy". We both got a good laugh and he told me to stay safe.
    He stopped by again a few month later to let me know this guy wouldn't be bothering me again, turns out the guy ended up locked up for a long time, one of his warrants had been for kidnapping! He asked again if I was carrying, I told him everyday, everywhere I legally can, and he told me that he wished more people would do the same.
    Excellent post! I shared this with my wife and she was impressed with your progressive responses. She was especially impressed by the officer's followup with you where he shared about the kidnapping warrant and the BG being locked up for a long time.

It seems to me, that the BG erroneously imposed his values upon you. Specifically, it appears that his thought process was: "If I carry, I would be illegally carrying a weapon. Therefore, this lady is illegally carrying a weapon--so, I'll just tattletale on this lady and get myself into the good graces of this police officer."

However, as your tale shows, that was a major boo-boo for the BG because many citizens do carry legally. He did not get on the LEO good side; he just earned a much closer look by law enforcement. He now has a lot of time to reconsider the err of his ways.

"Hey, buddy, sorry to interrupt, but I'm on an important phone call right now and I gotta go. Good luck, hope everything works out!"

I have a feeling that if he were a bad guy and did what bad guys do the folks in here calling you paranoid would be the same one calling you unprepared. Just an observation. Anytime anyone knocks on my door or rings my doorbell i raise my intensity level up a bit. Call it a color or just intensity level. Matter of fact, the same thing happens when my dog barks. The "dont make me shoot you" comment was probably not taken as you meant it. I listen to my "spidey sense". A door-to-door salesman with a cig behind his ear would cause it to no doubt go off as i would consider that unprofessional and out of place. I answer my door armed at all times but then again I have had my door kicked in and that does tend to color ones response. (No, I wasn't home at the time than goodness)
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Teufle View Post
    So I heard a doorbell ring, immediately followed by a few knocks. Assumed one of my other 2 roomates had locked themselves out. It's around 5:30pm in SC, so it's not dark yet, but quickly approaching it.

Well, it wasn't the roomates but a rather sketchy looking caucasian fella around my own age. I had my XD .45 concealed on my hip. I have a hard time "being an ass" to someone,
    Now would be a good time to learn this important social skill.

I think I've posted this a couple dozen times here: If I don't recognize you or didn't arrange for you to come over, I simply don't answer the door. Period. Works like a charm. Everytime.
    Ishmael likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links