Went Condition Orange tonight.. - Page 4

Went Condition Orange tonight..

This is a discussion on Went Condition Orange tonight.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This week my wife was at home working in her office in the front of the house when a salesman came to the door. Before ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Went Condition Orange tonight..

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This week my wife was at home working in her office in the front of the house when a salesman came to the door. Before she answered the door, she got up and turned the alarm off and put a gun in her pocket. She said the guy saw her (windows on front) and was undoubtedly curious what took her so long to answer as she had been 3' from the door, but he didn't ask. This guy appears to have been legit and passing out literature to offer tv+internet from a company that ran new fiber down the road a few. Months ago. One never can tell what the real motive is and fwiw, I don't think you over reacted.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This week my wife was at home working in her office in the front of the house when a salesman came to the door. Before she answered the door, she got up and turned the alarm off and put a gun in her pocket. She said the guy saw her (windows on front) and was undoubtedly curious what took her so long to answer as she had been 3' from the door, but he didn't ask. This guy appears to have been legit and passing out literature to offer tv+internet from a company that ran new fiber down the road a few. Months ago. One never can tell what the real motive is and fwiw, I don't think you over reacted.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Why did she feel the need to answer the door? Simply because he rang the bell? She'd be safer to just let him cool his heels until he decided to move on to the next house.

I never go against my gut feelings,,,,, and they have
    keep me safe and out of a lot of BAD stuff.

That is not necessarily so. Security experts will tell you that you should either answer the door OR let them know in no uncertain terms that someone is home. Home invaders around these parts always knock on the door before they kick it in or look for a point of entry. They want to make sure no one is home before they strike. It might have something to do with our excellent laws here in NC that protect homeowners. You dont have to answer the door. You could install a speaker, intercom, or speak through the door or storm door. You should always have a obstacle between you and the person at the door though. My 70 lb disturbed lab is usually the one who answers the door first and even with it shut, you know she is there...lol.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    That is not necessarily so. Security experts will tell you that you should either answer the door OR let them know in no uncertain terms that someone is home. Home invaders around these parts always knock on the door before they kick it in or look for a point of entry. They want to make sure no one is home before they strike. It might have something to do with our excellent laws here in NC that protect homeowners. You dont have to answer the door. You could install a speaker, intercom, or speak through the door or storm door. You should always have a obstacle between you and the person at the door though. My 70 lb disturbed lab is usually the one who answers the door first and even with it shut, you know she is there...lol.
    Do you have citations for these claims, or are you just making up security "facts"?

When I said she'd be safer not answering the door, I meant just that. The poster stated his wife shut off the alarm and grabbed her gun before opening the door. If the door-knocker has ill-intent, I'd rather my wife NOT need her handgun to defend herself. I rather he simply walk away. If he kicks in the door, then it's saf(er) and legal to greet him with gunfire. That doesn't happen all that much around here (insert my normal caveats here), so I make my life simpler and safer by not answering the door for ANY stranger for ANY reason.

I think you'd agree that not everyone who rings your bell is a guy getting ready to kick down the door, so why add to your family's risk by engaging with sleazy peddlers, con artists, gypsies, religious proslytizers, and political party hacks?

Well, it wasn't the roomates but a rather sketchy looking caucasian fella around my own age. I had my XD .45 concealed on my hip. I have a hard time "being an ass" to someone, so I at least heard what he had to say.. After telling him "no thanks" (he was selling windows/water heater blankets...which perked my interest that much more) I promptly locked the door back the way it was, and made sure the sliding glass back door was solid.

All that was running through my mind was "please dont make me shoot you"
    I just don't see how that got ya excited. Not one indication would have raised my SA more than I would for any other time somebody came to my door. My 02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...be prepared to have duck for dinner...
    Taste like chicken

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links