Went Condition Orange tonight..

This is a discussion on Went Condition Orange tonight.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I heard a doorbell ring, immediately followed by a few knocks. Assumed one of my other 2 roomates had locked themselves out. It's around ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Went Condition Orange tonight..

So I heard a doorbell ring, immediately followed by a few knocks. Assumed one of my other 2 roomates had locked themselves out. It's around 5:30pm in SC, so it's not dark yet, but quickly approaching it.

Well, it wasn't the roomates but a rather sketchy looking caucasian fella around my own age. I had my XD .45 concealed on my hip. I have a hard time "being an ass" to someone, so I at least heard what he had to say.. After telling him "no thanks" (he was selling windows/water heater blankets...which perked my interest that much more) I promptly locked the door back the way it was, and made sure the sliding glass back door was solid.

All that was running through my mind was "please dont make me shoot you"

I didn't pay much attention to what he was selling, moreso what he was doing. I could see his hands, I had a clear view on both sides of me with a wall to my back and 2 dogs in the house who hate strangers.

He was on foot. That struck me odd. But he also went across the street to the next house over. I thought seriously about calling the cops on this one.

Needless to say, I'm running on a higher alert status than I normally would.This guy wasn't that far out there, but I still took all my guns (2 handguns and I don't own a safe, yet) with me when I went out for dinner.

What's your take on this? I'm capable of defending myself in the home, and you cant see jack in here through the windows. If he was casing homes, the house across the street is home to a Vietnam vet, whom I imagine is more armed than I am.

I just dont like feeling insecure. Thoughts...Ideas?

I know not answering the door to begin with wouldve been prudent, but I was expecting someone.

Had a guy selling cheap steaks tonight,I really gotta get a nolo trespassio sign put up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Had a guy selling cheap steaks tonight...
    I'll bet those are some top quality steaks, if they have to sell them door-to-door...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

You are OK...sometimes how we feel reflects on our face. Can you do a poker face sometime so the person in front of you will get the little surprise waiting for him instead of being alarmed. Or maybe that was your purpose...give the other person the alarm to stay away, quick! a hora mismo! pronto!!!? Just asking...I don't even know if I am saying this the right way...if not, I am sorry....
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...be prepared to have duck for dinner...
    babarock and atctimmy like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

tag
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufle View Post

I think you are paranoid.
    sd976, Bark'n, soada101 and 2 others like this.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Don't feel bad, I usually get that kind of tense feeling when a stranger approaches my door and like mentioned here, I need to find a No Solicitation Sign again, had one at my apartment, but not my house, I'll take care of that this weekend.

It's ok to have that feeling in my view. Keeps us on our toes because now a days, people walking neighborhoods in my view are scoping houses anyways, it's just my view of an economically depressed society at this time, I'd say a 60/40 chance.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Let me try and phrase this as best I can without making light of or criticizing this thread but "went condition orange" and "took all my guns to dinner" is kind of scary. Just sayin. We constantly talk about "what ifs", "scenarios", etc etc but my first thought when I read your post is to "lighten up" a little. Your replies to this post will be absolutely correct, I will agree with you, and once again I apologize if I have upset you, but you must either live in a bad area or have had some terrible "scenarios"--it was just a guy knocking on your door who ended up walking away.
    Sfire and Ishmael like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Check with your local municipality and ask what the requirements are for door to door solicitors.
    Where I live a business must apply to the city for a permit to solicit, unless they are with a religious organization.
    If your city does the same, just ask the person to see their permit. If they don't have one, they won't hang around long, if you see them continue going door to door, call the police and tell them about it.
    I had an incident with a solicitor without a permit who showed up, I told him I was interested in changing my phone service and he needed to go. He responded by telling me I should show him my phone bill and he would show me how much money I could save with his company. I told him a little more firmly, "No, it's time to go". He continued to carry on about seeing my phone bill. I picked up the garden hose I had been washing my truck with and pointed it at him, and very firmly said "Good bye". I must have printed when I bent over to pick up the hose, his eyes got huge and he pointed at my hip and asked if "that" was a gun. Again I tell him goodbye, and he asks about the gun again. Enough, I drew my cell phone from the other hip and called the police reporting a solicitor who wouldn't leave. There was a patrol car nearby and he arrived before I was done speaking with the dispatcher. Turns out the guy had no permit, and he refused to provide ID when asked, but kept telling the officer I had a gun. The officer asked, and I showed him my CPL. He was fine with that, but after the whole thing washed out with the officer, it turned out he was charged with soliciting without a permit, trespassing, and he had 3 outstanding warrants. He got a free ride downtown and an hour or later, the officer shows up, to let me know what happened. He asked why I was outside with this scumbag, and told me I shouldn't come outside to talk to solicitors. I told him I had been outside washing my truck when the clown showed up and normally I don't even answer the door for strangers. He asked again about the CPL and what I was carrying. I told him a 1911 and he thought that was great, and asked if I showed the gun at all. I laughed and told him "No, I must have been printing when I brandished the hose nozzle at the guy". We both got a good laugh and he told me to stay safe.
    He stopped by again a few month later to let me know this guy wouldn't be bothering me again, turns out the guy ended up locked up for a long time, one of his warrants had been for kidnapping! He asked again if I was carrying, I told him everyday, everywhere I legally can, and he told me that he wished more people would do the same.
    danfive555, soada101 and echopeak like this.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I have a hard time "being an ass" to someone, so I at least heard what he had to say..
    This kind of thinking can get you hurt. One doesn't have to be an ass to be assertive. Set aside some time and reflect on your priorities.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Keep in mind what type guy sells water heater and window blankets door to door. Do you think when he was a child he knew he wanted to be a door to door water heater blanket salesman when he grew up? Do you think he might of had some problems in his life that led him to this career choice? I think you were right to be concerned with this guy. Without ever meeting him, I would bet he has seen the inside of a jail. I have an ex brother in law that sells steaks door to door. I know why he is in that career field.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

So I heard a doorbell ring, immediately followed by a few knocks.

... a rather sketchy looking caucasian fella around my own age.

I at least heard what he had to say. After telling him "no thanks" I promptly locked the door back the way it was, and made sure the sliding glass back door was solid.

Why did you think you'd need to use a firearm to shoot the visitor?

Why would this be the only thing running through your mind?

Are there details that we're missing, here? Because, it seems there was zero reason to fear death or crippling injury; zero reason in the visitor's demeanor or words to even imply he was there for evil purposes. Now, I am not discounting whatever it is that hasn't been said, whatever it was that made the little hairs on the back of your neck rise. But if that's the case, what was it that spooked you?

If nothing else was there to prompt such preparations for a response, then my thought is you need to work with someone to practice evaluating situations and indicators.

As for "being an ass," there shouldn't be any problem living your life and refusing to engage a salesman or cold-caller whenever you choose. I mean, there's a reason your door is shut and locked; a reason you have a voicemail/messaging service on your telephone. Living your life the way you choose, on your terms, at times of your choosing, isn't a bad thing. And simply not answering the door for people you don't know isn't "being an ass." Viewed from the visitor's perspective, it's merely a situation in which nobody came to the door. No big deal.
    Sfire and sd976 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Having had my home broken into once and guns stolen, I'm very cautious about anyone going door-to-door. I think it's a bad practice these days and legit businesses should consider other options.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Having had my home broken into once and guns stolen, I'm very cautious about anyone going door-to-door. I think it's a bad practice these days and legit businesses should consider other options.
    I agree, though I haven't had my house broken into.

Anytime someone comes to my house either I know them or I don't. For those I don't know, I don't like the uncertainty but I hope their visit is legitimate, though I'm never 100% sure. Those are the one's I am concerned about since they may just be showing up to test whether my house is occupied, case my house, size me up as a homeowner, OR have intentions of trying to kill me while they ask to use my phone (this did happen nearby where two were killed).

While a broom salesman might be giving me his spiel, I might be hoping and thinking that this spiel is legitimate and hope it doesn't suddenly escalate into a deadly force issue, as the OP mentioned. I don't have any trouble defending myself, but I'd think it's fairly normal thinking to prefer this impromptu sales call ends uneventfully.

BTW a door intercom/camera is a great option.........I've got to get that in place.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Keep in mind what type guy sells water heater and window blankets door to door. Do you think when he was a child he knew he wanted to be a door to door water heater blanket salesman when he grew up? Do you think he might of had some problems in his life that led him to this career choice? I think you were right to be concerned with this guy. Without ever meeting him, I would bet he has seen the inside of a jail. I have an ex brother in law that sells steaks door to door. I know why he is in that career field.
    keep in mind some people get into situations where they will do anything to make a living and feeding their families take priority over their pride...so if selling pink tutus door to door will pay the bills and help little jimmy grow then more power to them...

maybe we need another thread about discrimination...
    dev_null likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links