My car robbed at work (long)

This is a discussion on My car robbed at work (long) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all , I'm new here and just wanted a few thoughts on a subject ,first a little background info I work for my father ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car robbed at work (long)

Hey all , I'm new here and just wanted a few thoughts on a subject ,first a little background info I work for my father in law as a delievery driver and auto parts salesman , I don't have a ccp but the state i live in allows you to carry concealed or open in your vehicle or on personal property through the castle doctrine , I normally carry while I am driving and leave my pistol locked in a safe in my car when i exit luckily i didnt have it with me yesterday , I pulled back in at the shop after making a run at about 1:30 pm and parked on the side of the buildind next to the employees cars where mine was parked I looked at the four cars paked there where all ok including mine I walked inside talked with the owner for around five minutes and walked back out to find my trunk open and drivers door as well and noted no one was in the car before i approached it i quickly took inventory of what was missing and broken ,all they actually got away with was my speaker box and broke my dash and in-dash lcd screen i assume they where kids due to the fact they left all my tools and amplifier alone and only took what was easily able to be removed , so on to my question is there any advice you can gaive that i can pass along to my co-workers as to what to do to better be prepared if the run into this problem in the future ,as many of them where making statements to the fact that they would have tried to stop them if they had seen them in the act or in my car and my coworkers couldnt understand why i said even if i had saw them in the act i would have came back inside and called police as opposed to trying to stop them , as well as they couldnt understand why i wasnt upset about the fact my stuff was stole or my car damaged but more upset about the fact that anyone of us could have walked out on the suspects at anytime due to the fact that we all are constantly moving in and out of the building in that area, any suggestions or comments? and sorry for the long post

With the mentality of kids and adults today,a little burglary can turn into a homicide real quick,There is nothing in my car right now worth my life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Your paragraph/ sentence has caused my eyes to bleed.

21 bubba, my thoughts exactly
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Your paragraph/ sentence has caused my eyes to bleed.
    He did start with a capital letter and ended with a period.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    He did start with a capital letter and ended with a period.
    Capital yes, period no.

I think you know all the answers already. As stated there is nothing in my car or house worth my life or the hassle I might have to deal with should I engage someone in the act. I just had a talk with my wife about grabbing the home defense pistol, cell/house phone and the kids and holing up in one of the rooms until police arrived and only engage the intruders should they try and enter the room they are in. If you didnt have the answers, I dont know if you would have posed the question. Are you just looking for confirmation?

Yes it is in the forum rules to try and use the best grammar and punctuation we can, but could we try and answer the question before we berate the OP? It is scary enough coming into an established forum and asking a question, without feeling we may be made fun of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    I think you know all the answers already. As stated there is nothing in my car or house worth my life or the hassle I might have to deal with should I engage someone in the act. I just had a talk with my wife about grabbing the home defense pistol, cell/house phone and the kids and holing up in one of the rooms until police arrived and only engage the intruders should they try and enter the room they are in. If you didnt have the answers, I dont know if you would have posed the question. Are you just looking for confirmation?

Yes it is in the forum rules to try and use the best grammar and punctuation we can, but could we try and answer the question before we berate the OP? It is scary enough coming into an established forum and asking a question, without feeling we may be made fun of.
    Berate? It's called humor, try it sometime.

Roosterbob, welcome to DefensiveCarry.

That sounds like a typical smash and grab which is getting more common nowadays. I think I would have done the same thing. And if I looked out my window and saw someone ransacking my car, I'd probably:
    - make my car alarms go off with the remote entry system keychain thingy
    - call 911
    - maybe try to take pics

Yea its not worth your life to get in a scuffle or worse over stuff, especially if you're in a safe position away from the thieves who could turn out to be worse.

You might want to also install some sort of camera security system at your work.

Did they mess with your in-car safe? I'm curious if they noticed it and tried to open it - like were there marks on it or any attaching cables. I think the in-car safes would survive most of the smash and grab thefts since the thieves seem to want to get it over quickly.

Were any of the other cars messed with?

The only reason I wouldn't get a carputer is because my car WOULD get broken into, alarm or not. Thieves break into cars for GPSs even if all they see the windshield circle from where it was stuck.
    NRA member
    Registered voter
    Make it take an army to back you down.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i'm not sure about the smash and grab comment because i'm under the impression the vehicle was left unlocked...no entry damage was mentioned...i would find it odd that someone who prepares themselves for possible conflict by carrying a firearm does not take the simple precaution of locking their vehicle...that would be my advice...

as you mentioned they only messed with the stereo and speaker box...its not likely it was a professional theft and most likely it was kids looking for a new sound system...a locked door may have been all it took to stop them...if my assumption is correct...

and although your run-on sentence was painful to read i'll be the last to critisize punctuation....:)

And please do not stop posting. Sometimes you just gotta blend in with this entertaining crowd... They are not really that scary. In the days of yorn, I used to be like you -- either I forgot to lock my car or I got locked out of it. Thank God for the now modern quirks on SUVs plus I can now leave my car unlock with my *vicious 110 lb dog inside and there ain't no one's gonna dare touch his car!

Welcome from Missouri. Glad to have you aboard.

*whimpy
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

first of all, welcome rooster from s.e. michigan. some good feedback
    for ya to think about. could add some more but i'm sure you get the
    picture. anywhy, we've all been there too. live and learn.

glad to hear that nobody got hurt or worse. as dukalmighty mentioned
    things can go south REAL QUICK. welcome again and enjoy the forum.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

In an ideal world we could load our car up with 'goodies' put it in the middle of a parking lot and carry a sniper rifle...I'm just sayin'...

Get your permit and CCW 24/7...next time you and/or your family could be part of the dirtbag's interest.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Welcome.
    I think everyone else covered it. Do what you can to increase visibility, minimize what you carry of value, and get your carry permit. As Ret said, YOU could be their next target of opportunity.

Oh, and yes, your post was a bit hard to read. Just slow down and collect your thoughts.
    Also please realize that's it's good natured ribbing.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links