House alarm goes off, what to do? - Page 2

House alarm goes off, what to do?

This is a discussion on House alarm goes off, what to do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Turn off the alarm? I would not, nor have I ever had a regular house alarm...that's just me. I have, however, always had an agressive ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Turn off the alarm?
    I would not, nor have I ever had a regular house alarm...that's just me. I have, however, always had an agressive dog (or two). We had to put our Rhodesian Ridgeback down about 6 months ago...he was the perfect alarm. He was alert, protective, bold and agressive. We will get another RR some day soon. For now we have an Irish Wolfhound pup...just turned 7 months (31 inches at the shoulders and 90 lbs). She's a marshmellow, doesn't bark much, but her size through the windows is impressive. Visitors at the door do back up.

A good dog will beat any alarm...IMHO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by bugboy View Post
    Years ago I was asleep in bed with my 70lb lab and an Australian Shepard (dog ) mix. The dogs alerted and I heard some commotion in the living room. The Shepard got up crawled over me so that I was between her and the door . I grabbed my .44 special and went to investigate while the dogs hid in the bedroom.

A Bluegill from the aquarium jumped out and landed in the dogs' toy basket. I did not shoot the fish, but I did figure that if it wanted out that bad I'd help it. I threw it out in the front yard and went back to bed.
    Bugboy:

I think you have summed it up quite nicely.

(Do you think an intruder caused the fish to go on full alert?)

I'd say Silence the audible alarm but not the signal to the security company. Alarms are LOUD and especially if your sleepy it can be disorienting. Silence it and then LISTEN for footsteps/rustling/running etc.

By letting the alarm stay on you lose a valuable sense. Hearing. If the person's desire is to hurt you. You won't be able to hear them coming with the alarm blaring.

I know with our ADT alarm panels at work if you add one to the last digit of your code it will allow you to enter the building but it will call the police.

For example if your code is 1234 you would type 1235 if you're in distress.

If someone is holding you at gunpoint and tells you to enter the code. If you enter 1235 it will disable the Audible alarm and trigger a "Distress" silent alarm to ADT / Police.

I don't know if this would work at home. But it can't hurt to give your security company a call.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Excellent Strategy!

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Got kids? Other relatives in other rooms? That puts you in the category of having to "do something" and investigate. In my house it is my wife and myself in a locked bedroom with a door stopper backup that makes bedroom entry by a slime an effort and a demonstration of intent. I have already called the police (my alarm system is local and not tied to police) and even actuated the car alarm with my remote. Everything on the slime side of the bedroom door is just "stuff" that is insured and just not worth my going up against someone or a group that MAY be bigger and badder and more gun savvy than me. My life is not worth stuff, especially insured stuff. Now if they persist in going thru my locked bedroom door and the door stopper, I will truly believe that is a "reasonable" expectation of great bodily harm or even death and I will, most definitely, invoke the "castle doctrine" and the other state firearm rules in SC to defend myself. I guarantee you they will not like what is on my side of the bedroom door. Having to really do something comes down to others in other areas of the house. I choose to hunker down and wait for them to leave or for LEOs to arrive. I find it easier to deal with the insurance company over stuff than have my wife deal with the insurance company over my life insurance.
    Kelcarry:

Excellent plan! It allows for definitive statement of intent by the dirt bag; it allows you the maximum safety and warning of attack; even in Chicago, it would be hard for an overambitious prosecutor to charge you with recklessness or worse.

Thanks for posting it,

Capt. Art

We must play out certain scenarios in our head and be prepared.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

My alarm is a Doberman and a Rottweiler mutt so I can't turn them off but I can set them on whatever idiot thought it would be a good idea to break into my house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links