Store security system goes nuts....

This is a discussion on Store security system goes nuts.... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find that people with above normal intelligence will set them off,It's really annoying,I have learned to live with it tho...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Store security system goes nuts....

I find that people with above normal intelligence will set them off,It's really annoying,I have learned to live with it tho
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I find that people with above normal intelligence will set them off,It's really annoying,I have learned to live with it tho
    You should quit shopping with your wife then.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I work for Wally World. SIM cards in cell phones are bad about setting them off.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Having worked in retail I can assure you that those alarms only go off from RF signals, which is why cell phones may cause them to go off but I can't fathom your gun sending an RF signal.

On top of that, most store don't care much about the door alarms. They only worry about the people who run once they go off by which time it's too late.

Also remember that, AFAIK, in most states no store employee can stop you at the door for "suspected" theft. They have to witness you take the merchandise, watch where you put it, and watch you walk out the door. Many companies have policies against stopping shoplifters because of liability.

Walmart cannot force you to stop at the door to check your receipt; illegal detainment. They surely can't stop you because their alarm goes off as you walk in or out without a bag.

TOF
    I set buzzers off for several weeks till I thought to look in all the pockets of my wallet which was received as a Christmas gift. Lo and behold, therein was an RFID device.

What did you get for Christmas?
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    I walk into various stores around the city and on occasion the security system for shoplifters goes off coz of the barcode on my weapon. Does this happen to anyone else? I do the old double take at the door, look at the clerk and shrug my shoulders. They dont bother me after that, but I sure hope it doesnt happen as I go out, then Im a tough situation.
    You have a anti-shoplifting tag buried deep in your wallet somewhere, about the size of a (postage stamp, silver in color) that has not been de-activated check your wallet carefully all slots and pockets, or your shoes have a anti-theft device built in the sole usually in of one shoes only that has not de-activated, you aren't able to see the shoe device it's built in by the manufacturer in some shoes. please let me know if it was the wallet or the shoes, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JWinSouthFL View Post
    You have a anti-shoplifting tag buried deep in your wallet somewhere, about the size of a (postage stamp, silver in color) that has not been de-activated check your wallet carefully all slots and pockets, or your shoes have a anti-theft device built in the sole usually in of one shoes only that has not de-activated, you aren't able to see the shoe device it's built in by the manufacturer in some shoes. please let me know if it was the wallet or the shoes, thanks
    That said DO NOT try to take the "easy way out" and run your wallet across a deactivation pad!

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    I set buzzers off for several weeks till I thought to look in all the pockets of my wallet which was received as a Christmas gift. Lo and behold, therein was an RFID device.

What did you get for Christmas?
    Similar for me. Bought a new pair of shoes and about every third store the alarm rang. I put the shoes in the microwave (5-10 seconds is enoughg) which burned out the RFID chip and no further problems. You may not know this but many stores now put secondary RFID tags in clothes you buy to track how many times each month you come into their store.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Sigma,

See my thread here; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-clothing.html

It happened to me too, and it is has nothing to do with bar codes.

Source - Re: Hidden security tags in Old Navy jeans < Shopping &#038; Stuff < Wolfstad Blog

- Old Navy
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Never with a gun, but I did have that exact Old Navy RFID tag sewn in. That was a pain.

I wonder if they make RFID scanners so you can detect "bugs" in your clothing, weaponry, wallets, etc.

carrying tupperware???

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    There was a thread a while back about certain H&Ks having RFID tags and setting off theft systems.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Carrry & defense scenarios...

I had a pair of oants that had a hidden bar code that set off scaners....NEVER MY GUN !!!!!..

Check the pants you where without the gun....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Walmart cannot force you to stop at the door to check your receipt; illegal detainment. "

Don't know about that; Sam's Club (A W-M owned Co.) checks receipts of every buggy going out the door.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by jerzsubbie View Post
    Also remember that, AFAIK, in most states no store employee can stop you at the door for "suspected" theft. They have to witness you take the merchandise, watch where you put it, and watch you walk out the door. Many companies have policies against stopping shoplifters because of liability.

Walmart cannot force you to stop at the door to check your receipt; illegal detainment. They surely can't stop you because their alarm goes off as you walk in or out without a bag.
    Um, this is not totally true.

In most states, a store has what is called "the shopkeepers defense" or "shopkeepers privilege"

Basically, it means that a shopkeeper may detain someone reasonably suspected of shoplifting or stealing without being liable for the tort of illegal detainment.

A security RFID system going off is usually considered reasonable suspicion for the purposes of detainment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links