It's an epidemic!!! Interesting local headline...

This is a discussion on It's an epidemic!!! Interesting local headline... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is going on in my neck of the woods.... Homeowners confront intruders with gunfire : Home: The Buffalo News...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's an epidemic!!! Interesting local headline...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

It's an epidemic!!! Interesting local headline...

This is going on in my neck of the woods....

Homeowners confront intruders with gunfire : Home: The Buffalo News

2. Remove Ads

He was shooting at BGs fleeing. Not smart.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    There seems to be quite a bit of the "course of events" of that evening in dispute. I think the guy deserves a break but we are in NY and we all know that in the final analysis it is the criminal, not the respectable citizen who gets the end of the stick in NY.

"You have a duty to retreat"

This is why I love VA. No obligation to retreat while criminals have their way.
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Again, I understand his frustration, but the dude was fleeing, shooting at a fleeing suspect is not smart. I hope he gets cleared and learns from this.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Law is upside down

So, why is it that when some intruder causes mayhem on private property the home owner is usually the one who receives the brunt of the legal system?

In the case of the Vietnam Vet shooting at the vehicle, who can say for sure that they were not just leaving in order to come back for a third attack?

If the step daughter and her friend did not try to rob the step father twice already, they would not have been shot at. They showed their intentions to keep coming back until they got what they wanted.

And worse yet, it is not only super liberal NY that has these tendencies to apply universal snap judgements to all cases where LE assumes that because a bad guy is retreating he is all done.

We need to work hard to allow other assumptions that are more favorable to the innocent homeowner to come into the judgement of the mind reading that goes on in the police and attorneys decision.

Let's not forget that the bad guy would never have been hurt or shot at if he did not instigate the robbery.

Capt. Art

I agree that one should be able to shoot BG's at will even if they are running away but society is not at that point yet. Yeah it sucks for the good guys and hopefully they will drop the charges but that's the way it is. You can't shoot at people fleeing.

seems that these incidents will raise the issue of whether a citizen has a right to use force against home invasions.....sigh, do the antis have anything better to do than to complicate life?

I believe once you've entered, or attempted to enter someone's home, the law should be that you have taken your life into your own hands. Somebody lurking on the property is different. We once had a very strange man standing around on our front lawn, and it turned out he was a very confused individual from a few blocks over that suffered from mental issues. I would have felt horrible if he had been hurt. But once you've entered the home, good luck.
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

if you unlawfully enter my domain, I am assuming your intentions are not to fluff my pillows or dry the dishes and it will be my goal to zero out the threat!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieShoot View Post
    I agree that one should be able to shoot BG's at will even if they are running away but society is not at that point yet. Yeah it sucks for the good guys and hopefully they will drop the charges but that's the way it is. You can't shoot at people fleeing.
    I agree 100%^^^^... but as one LEO said "it would be like the wild west".... I have to say yeah the bad guys are making it a wild west show... and someone needs to man up and put a stop to their violent behavior... This vietnam vet... ( who clearly knows how to shoot hitting 14 out of 15 shots at a moving vehicle) is teaching a valuable lesson here...
    There are few ways to handle BG's (jail, hospital, dirt nap) he just chose the most logic one. The one that doesn't cost WE as the taxpayers money. To bad Law Enforcement doesn't live by the saying "fight crime shoot back"
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the homeowner with my hope being that all charges are dropped.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Not smart but I love it. Accuracy wasn't bad either - 14 of 15 hits.

I like the sheriff's last comments:

Voutour said he can understand Cherry's frustrations with the legal system. And he added that the split-second emotions in use-of-force cases are difficult, even for trained officers. "None of us were there," Voutour said. "None of us saw what he saw."

I'm annoyed though, because I don't see why we should ever feel obligated to let these guys get away. Thieves are asking to be shot, IMO. And what's this crap about "a duty to retreat"?? Do cops have that duty as well? Yeah right. Who the heck would follow that rule in the heat of the moment!?
    Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Not smart but I love it. Accuracy wasn't bad either - 14 of 15 hits.
    I totally agree.
    Gotta love Western New York
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links