Nothing really happened but........

This is a discussion on Nothing really happened but........ within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened last week and has just stuck in my mind. Not really a big deal, but I keep thinking about it. It was the ...

This happened last week and has just stuck in my mind. Not really a big deal, but I keep thinking about it.

It was the middle of the day and I went to the bank which is next to the police station near a somewhat idyllic common. All of the parking spots in front of the bank were open and the parking lot on the side of the bank was almost empty. As I approached the bank a car coming in the opposite direction signalled and turned in front of me into the parking lot. He did not cut me off or anything, there was plenty of room. I assumed he was parking in the lot. As I pulled over to take the spot on the street in front of the bank I was pulling in front of the entrance to the lot. I guess the guy was only planning on turning around because as I passed in front of the lot entrance he put his car in reverse and began backing up into me. I tapped the horn to let him know I was there, I thought he was going to back into me. The guy slammed on his brakes, leaned on his horn and began yelling curses at me while giving me the finger. I raised my hand and mouthed "sorry" as I pulled passed him into the parking spot.

At this point he backed out behind my car and I could see him gesturing wildly and cursing. He was in an absolute rage. I then realized that his initial intention was simply to turn around in the lot entrance and take the spot which I had now unintentionly stolen from him. As soon as I realized what was going on I started to put the car into drive figuring I would pull up to the next spot and let him have what he wanted. However, before I could move he gunned around me and pulled up about 2 spots ahead of me. He then put his car in reverse and gunned it backwards stopping inches from my front bumber. Scared the crap out of me.

Frankly I was stunned. I certainly had not intentionly done anything wrong, in fact I was pretty sure that I had the right of way. Still I was willing to just let him have the spot, it all seemed really silly to me. I will say that for a split second when he almost rammed me I saw red. I so wanted to slap him silly, but I kept control. I gripped the wheel hard. Looking forward I could see him just gesturing madly out of control and screaming. I quickly backed up two parking spaces distance and let him have the spot. I put the car into drive and was just preparing to drive away when he got out of the car.

Now here is the weird part, at least to me. I expected him to emerge ready for battle and honestly my immediate plan was to flee as rapidly as safely possible. When I saw him I paused. I am 55 and this guy was at least 10 years older. He was fairly short and paunchy but actually a bit frail looking. As he walked around the car and headed to the bank our eyes met and I looked hard, he flustered and immediately looked down at the ground. He could not even look at me. I just pulled away and decided to do my banking later.

As I drove away I just could not get over how stupid the whole thing was. What really struck me was the risk that this fellow had put himself in. He may have been armed, but I most certainly was. I am a decent citizen and I mean no man harm that does not try to harm me or my loved ones, but I could have been some crazy guy. I can only assume that he perceived that I had wronged him in some fashion, but I just do not get it.

I am on the road all day every day usually driving a few hundred miles a day. Trust me that this gent was not the first to demonstrate bad behaviour and in my much younger days a few did not fare so well. I no longer allow myself the self indulgence of an uncontrolled reaction. What struck me was this fellows absolute rage followed by such meekness. I guess he was probably having a really bad day. I just don't know.

Its like most people now they dont have any common curtisoy and are ina hurry to get everywhere and be first

Also they do just plain stupid stuff

Lead Moderator
    I think you just looking hard at him put him in his place. Glad nothing more happened. not sure I would have stuck around as long as you did. Be safe out there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Amazing the total lack of self control.

People now adays automatically assume the cause of their misfortune is due to someone else's intentional slight directed at them. I don't know how people go through life thinking everyone else is out to get them.

Let's hope this was a really bad day for him and not his common behavior.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Assistant Administrator
    You were right to back down and avoid conflict - crazies like him need avoided however much we feel irked or even losing face.

Interesting thing is - once he was out of his ''domain'' - the vehicle - seems his attitude changed to one of near embarrassment. I do often wonder if as the old cartoons used to show - as the driver gets in and closes the door - he/she suffers a near personaility change

Well written up - I could imagine that very clearly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I think you just looking hard at him put him in his place. Glad nothing more happened. not sure I would have stuck around as long as you did. Be safe out there.
    Man, I do not disagree. If he had emerged with a gun I would have been screwed. Lesson learned. As I wrote down the account I considered editing my actions so that I would not look too stupid, but opted for telling the truth. LOL!! Yep, I watched as he got out of the car. Duh!

Well handled. If you left, and he was crazy enough to follow, you would be looking at him following/ramming you. You could have pulled into the PD lot, but not much difference, if it's right next door.

Basically what you saw was Bobby Ringo, being forced to take his gunbelt off- out of the car (his fortress/weapon), he was powerless. If he decides(ed) to start carrying a firearm, this guy would be dangerous. A little Prozac, and some time at the VFW to get him properly socialized, is in order.

Goose, well done!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

VIP Member
    As he walked around the car and headed to the bank our eyes met and I looked hard, he flustered and immediately looked down at the ground. He could not even look at me. I just pulled away and decided to do my banking later.
    I agree your hard look made his attitude change. It's amazing how fluffed up and tough-acting some people like to portray themselves, but how easily their bluff is called. That kind of person is the one who would wait until your back is turned to do something devious, though, like kowtow to your face, and then key your car while you're still inside the building.

You did the right thing by leaving, and certainly showed you were the better man.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I've often said any idiot can get a driver's license, and most do. I think you story proves it. It is amazeing how upset some people can get over the simpliest little things.

You handled it well, stay safe.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I see this all the time> I drive 1.5 hours to work into the SF Bay Area and I used to get upset and then realized that the people with the rage are mosty mild mannered people outside of their car. They feel that they have this power when behind the wheel but are different people out of the driver seat. I now let people pass, give up the parking spots if there is a question as to whose it is. It is not worth the headache to fight with these people.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

VIP Member
    And they say we in Miami are the worst! Anyway, nothing happened because you kept your cool and your wits. Well done,
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links