What's legal to do in this scenario? - Page 3

What's legal to do in this scenario?

This is a discussion on What's legal to do in this scenario? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sarhog How do you propose to do that? What are you going to do if the run away?? Shoot them? granted we're ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's legal to do in this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    How do you propose to do that? What are you going to do if the run away?? Shoot them?
    granted we're dealing with a hypothetical situation here but as described the drawn knife is enough for me to pull the trigger. being a hypothetical situation its impossible to pin me down with an exact answer as the variables are endless.....but if you didnt shoot him i feel "the right thing to do" would not be to tell him to leave the scene of the crime because that just means he'll move on to another victim. order him to the ground.....if he has the presence of mind to stop approaching you with the knife he will most likely comply. if he doesnt comply i dont know what to tell you, again as i would have already shot him by that point (if the incident were truly as cut and dry as it was described).

I live in Indiana were we no longer have to retreat before acting so I would go Dirty Harry style on him. Just always remember it is better to be jured by 12 than carried by 6.

hey fitz, I though we could not go into bars or bar areas of resturaunts period. Regardless of signage. Coincidently when we went golfing, the snack/resturaunt had a sign saying no guns because they sell alchohol. I think the underground part of the comedy place is ok to enter because you have to order alchohol from a waitress and its away from the bar and has a seperate entrance.
    Something we need to find out.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    How do you propose to do that? What are you going to do if the run away?? Shoot them?
    If they run away, haven't you accomplished your goal of keeping yourself safe? You're not carrying the gun to enforce the law.

I don't know anymore Brian, all these crimes happen in NO GUN ZONES, im startin to think of just carry anyway, esp after the Penn and Teller BS episode about gun control where the Mayor or Governor of Texas family was blown away and 20 other ppl in the restraunt becuz she had to keep her gun in the car because of a new law saying no guns in restaraunts, soooooooo i really am thinking hard about always carrying, no matter what, regardless of silly laws, except into banks, stadiums and most bars!

What I would do: Draw while moving to the side of the alley. If I can get cover, behind a dumpster or even a garbage can so only one side is exposed, all the better. If not, the wall will do.

If they're within 20 feet and aren't obviously retreating at the sight of me drawing, I fire. Outside of 20 feet they get a warning while one of my friends calls 911. If they come within 20 feet, bang.

In WA state, you are justified in using deadly force to defend yourself here, assuming they're within range to use those knives. There's a forceful felony being committed. There's no duty to retreat here.

For those that asked, in WA you can carry in a place where alcohol is bought and/or consumed. You cannot carry any place marked "21 and over only", which is pretty much bars and any place that gets most of it's income from the sale of alcohol. You also obviously cannot be under the influence either.

Quote Originally Posted by fitznig
    they have to have a sign infront of the bar or inside that has to be no bigger than the size of your computer screen that says Guns not permitted.
    [snip]
    it got me to thinking its time to start packing, because the 3 next weekends after that murder after murder after murder hit the news every weekend all over Seattle really close to the comedy club.
    Can I recommend you brush up on WA gun laws before packing? "No Guns" signs carry no weight of law here, just a trespassing charge if you're asked to leave and don't. You can carry in banks, stadiums, etc (but not an "outdoor concert of more than 2000 people"--how's that for vague, am I supposed to count? What if I'm in the park but not there for the concert? What if I'm 4 blocks away but can still hear the music?). There's a regulation sign (I think it's provided with their liquor license) at all bars saying something to the effect of 21 and over only permitted past this point. You can also read that sign as saying "No Guns" for you.

guess i should only go to bars in safe areas. not that i carried into a bar yet, but i want to, too many murders in Seattle outside of bars and clubs in the recent months, and the news coverage of it doesn't help the crime, only inspires it more!

so if you have to be 21 and over to enter an establishment, no guns allowed. Fitz, do you have to be 21 to get into the comedy club? Would make our trips to seattle a whole lot better if we could carry. (would not drink while carrying though)
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

for the late night showing we do need to be over 21, yes!
    after that confrontation with the coked out bum right after the show last time, i wanna carry, that guy made me nervous!

Anyone can Monday night QB this scenario, but 2 knives are very dangerous.

If I was in this and had the oppertunity to throw my money to either side of me, wait for one guy to retrieve the money, run backwards, shoot the guy closest to me, then the gut furthest.
    I most likely would have got cut inthis scenario though.

However, I live in NYC. If I felt I was being followed, I'd already have my Glock out. (keep in mind, I snap leather and rock forward on car stops with little ol' ladies driving. I need to go home at the end of the night.)

Manny

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    What good does obeying the law do if it gets you dead?

Non Lethal Alternatives

[QUOTE=QKShooter]

In this case you should have already OC Sprayed them both with with your weak hand while having your firearm clear of leather.

That is one advantage of always carrying Non Lethal OC in addition to a firearm.
    Never leave home without it. Just my opinion on that.

QUOTE]

I agree with the OC spray in theory, however from a practical standpoint I wonder if you really have the time to be able to decern wether the situation will really call for the use of lethal or non-lethal force. Another problem with OC spray (especially outdoors) is the annoying habit of the wind blowing some of the stuff back at the user. (Even indoors I have seen to many times that the user gets a nice dose of the stuff too). And I cannot think of anything worse than being in a situation where I had 2 BG after me and disabling my self with my own OC spary. Not to mention that in many situations, especially with certain chemically enhanced individuals OC is not always effective. Non-lethal deterance is what pulling and pointing the gun is for. If showing the BG your boom stick don't change his mind then the use of deadly force would certainly be warrented. Because I can swear on the stand that any reasonable rational person would have left me alone when I told him to leave me alone, and I pointed my weapon at him. When he continued to come after me even though I was obviously armed, I was in ever greater fear for my life and felt I had not other choice.
    There are only 2 people I trust in this world and you ain't one of'em!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I do not know what the law is in your state I would look into that by talking to your local sheriff's office or calling the state police.

In Virginia the only law that I know of and how I inturprited it (which is my opinion I only tell you as food for thought.) is that you may uses the minimal but equal force to end a threat.Now two knifes to me sounds deadly which I would take as equal force. Note I did not say kill that will get u in trouble in court if you say I shot to kill. Terminate the threat. I would give the two a chance to live after you produced your weapon.
    Mabye the heard the old saying "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"

your friend calling the police is always a good idea while you face down the threat. That way while you are giveing commands for the subject to live it should be loud enuf for the dispach to hear over the phone that way it is being recorded and could be brought up in court.

Anything I have written in of my opinion only and not to be taken as a legal opinion.
    It is up to you to make that choice.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    1. In my State you are not allowed to have your carry piece with you in such a place (I am operating on the assumption that the bar/comedy club/strip club obtains 25% (?) or more of its gross from the sale of liquor or beer). Of course, that doesn't apply if it's just a movie theatre....

2. Don't be taking any shortcuts through any alleys....

3. IMHO with those kinves drawn, and them wanting to rob you, you can shoot them...and I probably would.

4. Another possibility is to throw them your wallet...but I doubt they'd just up and leave you alone: "Oh, thanks man....you're cool. We'll extract your cash and leave the wallet here where you can pick it up in the morning. You're free to leave. Have a nice evening...."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links