Thought an intruder was in the house.

This is a discussion on Thought an intruder was in the house. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was taking a nap (afternoon). Loud noise, I awoke. Aquired my gun, chambered a round. No other noise. Then a loud noise (something heavy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought an intruder was in the house.

I was taking a nap (afternoon). Loud noise, I awoke. Aquired my gun, chambered a round. No other noise. Then a loud noise (something heavy falling), and the sound of a closet door opening.

Grab my cell phone. Call out, loud, "Honey you home?" No reply.

I call my wife, she answers, and is at work.

I hear another noise, I think in the closet.

I'm not sure. Call the police? Call a friend? I'm not sure.

I walk down stairs, wife still on phone, gun out of holster, by my side. I command loudly, "Come out of the closet, I am armed!" Cat rushes out of the closet. Now I'm not sure if someone might have had the cat in the closet, but at this point I am 99% certain just being paranoid. Sure enough, was just the cat.

I tell my wife, she finds it funny because of the closet comment (the male cat like to cuddle with me and will often leave her to join me when I sit or lay down).

Most of our house is child proofed due to the cat, but my wife had forgotten to lock the closet back up before she left. I think he checks every cuboard door and closet door daily just to see if someone has left it open / (child proof) locked.

I acted about as good as I could have. Don't know why I did not consider the cat. Unlike say a dog, you don't really think about cats in a SD situation.

My heart was pounding. Don't know why I did not aim the pistol, I was just worried it was someone trying to pull a stupid (and dangerous) prank.

Any thoughts.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

This time it was just the cat.

What if it had been a real life goblin? Were you prepared to deal with that?

I submit that you may have been better off to get behind cover and maintaining a defensive posture while summoning the on duty constabulary once you had ascertained that no loved ones, or authorized visitors were in the home. Granted, you can't call 911 every time you hear a strange noise, but if you really believed that someone had entered the home unauthorized why would you want to seek them out?

I am reminded of an old saying, "Be careful what you seek, as you just might find it."

Biker

PS: Why did you have to rack a round into the chamber, or am I reading this wrong? That strikes me as not being prepared for a defensive encounter in and of itself. If your gun makes you uncomfortable with having a loaded chamber, sell or trade your gun for one that doesn't make you uncomfortable with having a loaded chamber.

Not sure what you mean by "did not aim the pistol". I'd keep it at low ready until you see something.

Maybe you can add a dog to the mix too? They're good at detecting strangers.

That was for practice, next time could be for real.

Stay armed (chambered, too)...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I've never had to draw on one of the (3) cats we have, but yes they can easily send you into a defensive mode when they cause noise.
    Two of mine have nocturnal dementia and most evenings after we settle into bed they like to chase each other up and down the stairs. The stairs run alongside the bedroom wall and I'm used to the sound they make chasing each other. I don't let the sound bother me but I am aware of anything that might sound different than their normal routine.
    Our youngest, Ruger is quite a clown and likes to do some pretty funny things. Getting into new to him places is a favorite game and he did have me a bit spooked when he fell inside the washing machine during one of his investigations. I had forgot to close the lid and his curiosity led him to fall in. I was home alone at the time it happened and I could tell from the sound where the noise came from, but not what it was. It flashed through my mind that something sounded strange, but I didn't think it was likely that there was an intruder in the washing machine. I had my firearm in the holster when I went down stairs to investigate, and checked the back door for a breach before I went down the steps. Watching him try to scramble up the sides to get out was as entertaining and some of the other things he does.
    Curiosity may have killed the cat, but I'm sure satisfaction brought him back.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

A training cat to keep you sharp! I hope you gave it a treat!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Many of us here have had a few 'instances' of going orange checking out things that are going 'bump' where/when they shouldn't be. I've had a couple.

I'll Friday morning QB that you should've put the phone in your pocket and been 'ready' to go, but you did alright overall. Gald it only gave you something to think about and wasn't something 'else'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

That's what you call a cat burglar .

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Girlfriend's cat is always knocking stuff over at night. He LOVES batting and pushing things off of counters. I still get up and investigate every time. Oh, how I loathe that cat.

Glad you didn't have any actual invaders. I think you handled it decently. I probably would not have alerted the "intruder" I was in the house and armed though. If they were in the closet, I'd wait for them to come out with their hands full, unprepared to meet me with my gun. But then again, who knows what I would actually do in the situation, and there's no point over analyzing.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This time it was just the cat.

What if it had been a real life goblin? Were you prepared to deal with that?
    My cat is a real life goblin.

He does stuff like that all the time. I think he waits until I dose off then he find something to push off a table, or if I'm lucky, he'll sit on my chest and bat at my face. Watch out if he's hungry, he turns from goblin to demon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    PS: Why did you have to rack a round into the chamber, or am I reading this wrong? That strikes me as not being prepared for a defensive encounter in and of itself. If your gun makes you uncomfortable with having a loaded chamber, sell or trade your gun for one that doesn't make you uncomfortable with having a loaded chamber.
    I'll admit that I usually do not keep my bedside gun chambered. I've done things like locate the lost remote and turn the tv off or have a phone call while sleeping and not remember the next day. Pulling a trigger while asleep isn't that much of a stretch. My theory is that I should wake up sometime while opening the nightstand drawer, reaching down, racking the slide and pulling the trigger.

I figure if the BG prevents me from being able to rack the slide, then my girlfriend has time to grab her bedside gun and even the odds a bit.

My favorite bumper sticker...

Cat - the other white meat.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

I've not had to draw on my cat...yet...but if I'm sitting down or lying down, she's in my lap or on top of me. Super Duper Guard Cat. If anyone gets to close to me while I'm asleep, she'll scuff on them until they submit.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Good reminder of why I don't have a cat,my dog has never knocked anything off a counter top and she lays down in whatever room I happen to be in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Hmm, for a second I thought you were going to say it was Tom Cruise in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links