Classic robbery last night.

This is a discussion on Classic robbery last night. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, heres another story. A good friend of mine is down from Colorado visiting friends and family here, shes been living in CO for about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic robbery last night.

Classic robbery last night.

Well, heres another story. A good friend of mine is down from Colorado visiting friends and family here, shes been living in CO for about a year. She grew up with my girlfriend down here in FL, about a mile from where I live now. Shes staying at her parents house, which she has to herself most nights due to her parents being on work trips and stuff. A couple days ago she met up with the local gang of kids she grew up with down the street. Lets just say the quality of these old friends has gone very far down hill since the old days. Supposedly drugs have gotten in the mix. She met a few new people who she knew were shady charecters.

Last night she was at home with a real friend when she heard banging at her door. Its was late at night and if you read these forums enough you know where this is going. Of course she goes and answers the door.

This neighborhood is very nice. If anyone here is familiar with the eastlake area of pinellas county, I am talking directly east of the lake. Her house is about a mile back off of the nearest main road. Houses are in the 300-450's (high for pinellas county).

She is in her early 20's, so of course she answers the door not thinking twice. As the story goes, theres a young white female at the door acting frantick telling my friend to let her in because she is being chased. The frantick girl forces her way into the house. My friend dosnt know what to do. Shes obviously not a member of DC.com.

Seconds later a group of 3 males force their way in right behind the girl. They have guns and they are not after the girl. They begin ransacking the house, emptying purses, stealing money. They dischared a round into the ceiling and then pointed the weapon at my friends head. This whole time the frantick girl who forced her way in was telling my friend not to call 911. The burglar alarm somehow began going off. The badguys eventually left, with no physical harm done. Mentally, I dont beleive my friend will ever be the same. She called 911 from her cell phone, AFTER THE FACT. She obviously couldnt use her phone at the time.

I just thought I would share this with the community. ANY TIME ANYWHERE. This neighborhood is one of the last places I would expect this kind of crime. I somewhat feel releived by the fact that the last time I was over there on New years, I was armed.

This has obviously scared my girlfriend a little, but she still wolnt go to the range with me. I've since offered them both range time and invited my girlfriend to take a CWP class on me.

This scenario has been described in several ways over the years in this forum. From the lady showing up asking for gasoline because her car broke down on a cul de sac, to the cousin who gets set up and robbed at gun point. Once again everyone, ANY TIME ANYWHERE.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Wow hope she is okay, thats bad, people are crazy, hopefully she will come around and go with you to the range and take the class.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Wow, pretty crazy. One of those scenarios we keep asking about...there it happened.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Hate to hear it. But why is it that a nice community, with expensive homes, and expensive things (TV's, jewelry, guns, money, etc) is the LAST place people think a home invasion will occur? I mean, everything a BG wants is right there. I know people move into those places to feel safe, and surround themselves with "good" folks, but the roads runs right into them. Unless they are gated, which is easy to overcome.

FWIW, I live in a middle class area. On the street, not in a subdivision. Around some really good folks. But I also have the newest house on the street. There is a good chance I have taken more precautions than most of my neighbors. If I were looking for the good stuff, I would ignore the trailer and 4 20+ year old houses and go for the newer one. Or go across town to one of the nice subdivisions where the really good stuff is.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    my street consists of an unlit single lane road... kind of like driving through a grave yard... If you look hard enough you will see "I am the NRA" signs as you hear dogs barking from the fence. people seem to leave us alone.

Still working on the lighning effect when you look at the house at night

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Hate to hear it. But why is it that a nice community, with expensive homes, and expensive things (TV's, jewelry, guns, money, etc) is the LAST place people think a home invasion will occur? I mean, everything a BG wants is right there. I know people move into those places to feel safe, and surround themselves with "good" folks, but the roads runs right into them. Unless they are gated, which is easy to overcome.

FWIW, I live in a middle class area. On the street, not in a subdivision. Around some really good folks. But I also have the newest house on the street. There is a good chance I have taken more precautions than most of my neighbors. If I were looking for the good stuff, I would ignore the trailer and 4 20+ year old houses and go for the newer one. Or go across town to one of the nice subdivisions where the really good stuff is.
    ditto the sentiment...wealthy neighborhoods are more likely to get hit because the good stuff is there...the funny thing about criminals is that they are very mobile and will travel for goods...less likely to be recognized away from home also...

your friend doesnt need range time...she needs common sense...someone forced their way in through a door she opened and had a gun on her...discharged a round into the ceiling...youre thinking she would have defended herself against multiple bg with guns already drawn?...its more likely she would be dead right now...and i doubt she would have gone to the door armed...she opened it unarmed....

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    ditto the sentiment...wealthy neighborhoods are more likely to get hit because the good stuff is there...the funny thing about criminals is that they are very mobile and will travel for goods...less likely to be recognized away from home also...

your friend doesnt need range time...she needs common sense...someone forced their way in through a door she opened and had a gun on her...discharged a round into the ceiling...youre thinking she would have defended herself against multiple bg with guns already drawn?...its more likely she would be dead right now...and i doubt she would have gone to the door armed...she opened it unarmed....
    Good point. SA is non existent, Maybe this event will make her more aware. Not opening the door that late at night would have solved the problem.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Yea, if someone is "being chased" knocking at my door at 3am in the morning, I'm calling the cops to sort it out. Definitely wouldn't open the door.

If someone shows up to chase the first person, then I'd consider drawing to hold the chaser until the police arrive.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Good thing no bodily harm was done... items can be replaced.... mental health not so much..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

The learning curve is steep and she just learned a lesson.

If possiable, talk with her and tell her a few of the 'tricks', what to look-out for. A simple, stright forward discussion about SA and her personal safty might be well received.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Pretty basic 'smarts' needed here. Why would anyone open a door late at night to a stranger?
    I sometimes wonder if these SA lacking individuals ever watch the news? This young lady is very lucky because this encounter could have gone much further south very easily.
    Live and learn, many still won't.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I don't want to take anything away from the OP, but I'd like to add something about strangers showing up at your house.

It's easy to think that to be safe, you should never let them in your house; as if your door threshhold is some sort of safety line. It's not. Don't forget they are within the 21 foot rule.

This is a true story that happened several years ago late one afternoon in what you would think is a safe rural area. Two young kids, not from this area, walked up to a house and knocked on the door. At home, at the time, was the housewife and her two pre-teen kids. The dad was away at work.

This was before the days of widespread cell phones, and the kids asked to use their telephone and asked for a drink of water. They claimed their car had broken down about a mile away. The housewife told them to stay in the yard and she would be back in a minute. Apparently she thought she was being cautious enough and decided to bring them the cordless phone outside. When she returned with the phone, one of the kids shot her in the head. The shooter immediately entered the house, looking for "witnesses" and found and shot one of the pre-teens as he was getting his BB gun out. The other pre-teen bolted out the back door running away while the shooter was shooting at her as she ran. She was the only survivor.

It's a very sad story and I tell it here because it demonstrates the tragic results of someone attempting to be cautious in dealing with strangers at the door.

Anyone at your door is within the 21 foot rule. I've always thought that a door-video intercom would be a great tool for a homeowner.

BTW the two kids stole that families truck and left the scene. An intense manhunt followed that evening and the two were caught. The young shooter will spend the rest of his life in Angola. IMHO, the two people that lost their lives in this was due to the shooter being just plain STUPID.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Originally posted by Retsupt99Pretty basic 'smarts' needed here. Why would anyone open a door late at night to a stranger?
    Almost got it the correct answer is

Pretty basic 'smarts' needed here. Why would anyone open a door to a stranger period?

You are a NOGO at this station.

Senior Moderator
    Why would anyone open a door to a stranger period?
    Believe it or not, lots of people do it because lots of people still feel like it is OK to help their fellow man.

Most people think that they are safe in their home and it never occurs to them that that it could be otherwise and often times when bad things happen its in the "nicer" part of town where these things aren't expected to happen there.

For those that survive it, it's a wakeup call to just how sorry some people can be.

While most of the people on this forum realize that, fact of the matter is, most people in the real world dont.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by Hotguns Believe it or not, lots of people do it because lots of people still feel like it is OK to help their fellow man.
    This is my opinion based on my experience

I have lived in the same house since '98 in that 11 years I have never had a stranger come to my door that wasn't a Magazine salesman, Meat sales man, Encyclopediea sales woman (OMG she was hot), Jehovah's Witness, LDS missionary, and one guy that I seriously believe was trying to get me to open the door to rob us.

In my experience strangers at the door are a hassle not a help. So, to me my life is easier if I just don't open the door.

That said, if some dark rainy night a person in distress starts beating on my door I would re-evaluate my position. Likely I still wouldn't open the door unless I actually witnessed some type of beating or attack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links