Another scary situation today

This is a discussion on Another scary situation today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My work commute involves about 45 miles. About 20 on the interstate and the rest on rural highways and thru some small towns. Without naming ...

Thread: Another scary situation today

My work commute involves about 45 miles. About 20 on the interstate and the rest on rural highways and thru some small towns. Without naming towns, a small one and part of a larger one are , shall we say, kinda rough and have higher crime rates.
    There is NO WAY to go around them.
    At about 7AM (dark), Iwas travelling down a rural road between two small towns, doing the 60 MPH speed limit. Normally, traffic does 70, but it feeds the Arabs excessively in my car. I was going around a vehicle which was going about 5 mph slower and after passing him, I started to get back over, when WHAM, I get rear ended. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the other vehicle loose control and then straighten out. I moved over where I could stop off the road, while punching 911 on the phone. With the phone on my shoulder, I retreived my 9MM from the lock box, and placed it under my leg.
    Being that I did not cut anyone off or provoke anyone, the thought occured that it may be a smash and robbery (or worse). Maybe I am paranoid, however, I read some of the scenerios on the forums...

The guy got out and came to me slowly in a non- threatening manner, but I had my hand on the 9. When he got close enough, I recognized him as someone who worked at the same place I did, so I stuffed the gun back into the center console and told 911 that the situation was cool, but I wanted a LEO for the report. The LEO showed in 5 minutes.

Turned out the co-worker was doing 70, and saw me in the distance. Something rolled off the seat and diverted his attention. Then when he looked up, I was 20' away in front. He hit the brakes, but too late.
    When arriving at work, we both called our respective insurance companies and got the paperwork in motion.

Humor intended: " don't bring a Honda Civic to a 4X4 SUV fight"

Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    Turned out the co-worker was doing 70, and saw me in the distance. Something rolled off the seat and diverted his attention.
    That'll do it, every time.

Had a situation over a hilltop, once, in which the setting sun conspired with a large deer in the roadway to ensure the 18-wheeler about 250yds behind would not be able to see me or the deer. Fortunately, we didn't connect, but I still wonder about the situation and keep suitable "outs" in mind, in case it ever happens again.

As for being prepared to engage a stranger, I would have been armed in the situation as well. You simply never know what's going to transpire. In a situation where there appears to be a threatening person involved, I'd simply call for LEO assistance and await arrival.

You did fine, I think.

Something to consider: Have the firearm in a holster, either pocket carry or IWB/OWB. At least, the gun shouldn't need to be handled all over the cabin in order to prepare for a situation, or to put it away if the situation turns benign.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I think I would have gotten a little more confirmation that things were OK other than I worked with the guy; that being said most crashes don't result in assaults.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    It sounds like you handled it well. You were ready in the off chance that things went south.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Afterthought

I plan, from now on, to have the lock box open while enroute. Being an electronics type, I could design a solenoid which will open and lock it automatically. The box is in the center console right under my right arm.

Paramedic: The guy is a computer person, complete with pocket saver and glasses. No threat to anyone.

Holstered or IWB weapon is not practical. The employer is a defense contractor. They have a very strict gun policy, not to mention gov't personnel on premisis. car is OK, according to Fl law if the car is locked. Locked car and locksafe ensures compliance. If I had the IWB or holstered gun, I would forget and wear it into the building, get "noticed" and fired. (no pun intended).
    My luck is usually: If I was Loni Anderson's baby, I would be bottle fed......

My luck is usually: If I was Loni Anderson's baby, I would be bottle fed......

I may have to borrow that.

Biker

scary

Bikerrn: be my guest.

Links