A few heated moments

A few heated moments

This is a discussion on A few heated moments within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I had a wee bit of excitement this morning at my p/t job. One hotheaded employee has apparently been using one of our company ...

Thread: A few heated moments

VIP Member

A few heated moments

Well, I had a wee bit of excitement this morning at my p/t job.

One hotheaded employee has apparently been using one of our company vans to move his personal belongings, or he's been running a business on the side and using our vans to move cargo.

I'm sure we know the liability issues with that.

Anyhow, he (a really BIG guy) comes storming up to my desk, where my boss is sitting beside me because we're working on a project, and he tosses the van keys across my desk at him, huffing and puffing about his vases being broken in the back of the van.

Another co-worker intervenes, saying he had no right to have those vases in there, and the Big Guy just gets madder and madder. He said another driver broke the vases, so the company should pay him back. My boss tries to skirt the issue by saying he's working on a project with me and will get back to him later....which makes him even madder.

The other co-worker thankfully remains firm and gets him to calm down, and he leaves.

The way the desks are situated, I'm cornered. The only way I can escape is by jumping over my own desk and running hurdles over a couple others. And this big guy - he's like your worst nightmare. He's not muscle big, but he's around 6'5" or taller and fills a doorway.

If it had grown to more than yelling, I would've retreated. I can't see myself getting in the middle of a three-man dogpile.

And looking at that Big Guy - headshot only. He's a penetration issue.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Wow that not a good way to start the day ..
    Will they can this guy now?

Thank God no one knocked over his geraniums! No easy solutions to that size, Betty. Most of my friends start at 6'/220#, and I couldn't come near matching them in a grope. My thinking was always "shotgun"- hit with OC, go immediately to blunt object, if that didn't get them down/off, go with stabbing/shooting, but always more intent on getting an opening to escape, rather than "win".

Assistant Administrator
    Obviously Betty a dude with attitude - and hardly sounds like a company asset either!!!

Oh dear - his vases got broke - in company vehicle - sounds like he is astray on several levels
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I had this happen to me(as the boss) years ago in the military. A big dummy kinda guy came stormin' into my office as my secretary and I were going over plans for a weapons movement at a large round table. We had charts,maps,and blueprints laid out on the table and we were very distracted. He came bustin' in without warning.

I did the only thing that came to mind........first I told "Holly" in a very loud,stern,voice,to"get the f---- outta my office right now". She jumped up and went out pretty fast. Then I had the guy all to myself and "Holly" was outa whatever potential danger that could have erupted.

We handled the problem(makin' a long story short) and he was gone.

I immediately went lookin for my secretary and explained to her that I wasn't mad at her and that I just told her that so she would leave immediately and not be put into danger if things got ugly.That made her happy. She had a thing about always asking me "WHY" about everything and I figured this tone/anger/loudness in my voice would get her movin' rather quickly. It damn sure did.

Also the first thing that I did was to immediately stand up. The(one of the)worse things you can do is remain seated and have the BG looking down at you. It puts him in the place of being dominent and thats not good for you. If he's loud and mad,that will help him stay that way,or get worse.

I realize that your space was arranged differently than mine was so i'll just say try to retreat ASAP. It wasn't your fight and as a non supervisor it wasn't your place to try to cool things down. Just jump up and get the frick outta Dodge. Other than that,your options were.......spray,stun,strike,stab/slash,or shoot. --------- P.S. Hell Betty,you shoulda had your Mace.

All of us guys come factory equiped with a very sensitive, vunerable spot. It doesn't matter if its a small, foriegn import or a huge, grain fed, midwesterner.Its located in the front, right where our legs attach to our torso. Hit hard and fast, then make your escape...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwimc
    All of us guys come factory equiped with a very sensitive, vunerable spot. It doesn't matter if its a small, foriegn import or a huge, grain fed, midwesterner.Its located in the front, right where our legs attach to our torso. Hit hard and fast, then make your escape...
    Be aware there is a small percentage of the male population (5-10%) that doesn't work on, they will hurt bad afterwards, but it does not always immediately incapacitate.

Administrator
    Always best to avoid other folks arguments if possible.

It's good that everything worked out OK.

I'm glad that you didn't hafta hurt the big oaf by cutting him down to size.

He (for sure) would regret the day that he happened to back our Betty into a corner.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Apparently I witnessed only one of three incidents with this guy yesterday. The first was a big argument with my other co-worker over the vans, and the third was him blowing up all over the accountant later on in the day who tried to record the mileage on the vans.

My boss was going to fire him this morning, but the Big Guy called in and tried to do his bullying "I'm going to quit" tactic, where my boss usually tries to appease him. Except he didn't expect my boss to say, "Okay, I accept your resignation."

The front door keypad entry has already been changed, but I don't know if he has a key to the two back doors. My desk is right by one.

One of our vans is missing, and none of the other drivers has it.

Looking at somebody his size sure makes one feel inadequately armed. Training, tactics and good shot placement!

My boss had an extremely tense day yesterday. With these incidents, combined with ongoing problems with one of our incompetant, witchy sales reps who semi-quit and tried to beg herself back into position (my boss had enough and let her go), he's stressed out, cranky, and we're all laying low. The last thing we want to happen now is the Big Guy coming to the office. Two big, angry, stressed out guys aren't a great combination.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Not looking forward to the future

I work for the Army as a civilian in a GOCO (government owned, contractor operated) facility. We are being closed and moved by the recent BRAC, although not for several months. There is already lots of scuttlebut in the halls by contractors about management not doing enough to protect jobs. My office has one door, and NO windows. It is only about 10 feet from a fire exit and I have already ran an escape drill both mentally and physically.

Needless to say, as a government employee on a military installation I am forbidden from carrying. Although we are NOT screened on the way in :-)

Administrator

Betty...
    I know that probably no real need to mention this since you are always very "on top of things" but, please be on extra high alert for a while...on the chance that this disgruntled guy could return with nothing good on his mind.

Just a reaffirmation of what I'm sure you already know.

VIP Member
    ....yes, I'm thinking this very angry man could want to exact payback....so be careful Ms. Betty.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    rather than try a groin strike , which may not work, especially if you are behind a desk , consider diffrent attack areas. A short baton or such could even the odds somewhat if pepper spray is not an option.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

haha just had the image of a big grumpy john goodman sized guy coming up to bettys desk and her just slugging him in the yammers. Man that makes me smile. I have a feeling that would make him very mad (more so than the broken vases) Glad he's fired. Do you carry at work? If he did come through that door in a rage,, I don't know if oc, a groin shot, or even a knife strike is going to stop a gorrilla like this guy. Since your by the door, you could be the armed security guard too! (Make sure you get two paychecks!!)
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Links