Horror flicks; have you ever wondered? - Page 7

Horror flicks; have you ever wondered?

This is a discussion on Horror flicks; have you ever wondered? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; notice how in the 4th Saw movie, the cop did have a gun, and it didnt help much...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Horror flicks; have you ever wondered?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    notice how in the 4th Saw movie, the cop did have a gun, and it didnt help much
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Big Zombie movie fan here. Have purchased quite a few of them over the years, some great, some real stinkers. However, Zombie flix are Zombie flix, so I keep buyin' 'em, readin' the books, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    But not a survivalist. He had almost no food in the shop so he was starving to death...oh yeah in the 'extras' on the DVD there're a few pretty good "short films" - one of them shows what happened from "Andy's" (the gun shop owner) point of view. Another one follows a local news station during the outbreak, kind of interesting too. I like when they add the shorts to the DVDs.

Okay, revealing my zombie-movie addiction here: This was the one (so far) George Romero movie where he broke his own canon. "Fast" zombies...all his other movies are "slow" zombies. I like the slow ones better. Yes, I spend too much time watching movies.
    Actually, that wasn't a Romero flick, but a semi-remake of his original "Dawn of the Dead" from 1978. It was only loosely based off of his original script. Watch the movie w/the commentary and you'll hear them talking about the changes they made w/the Zombies and why. While it's a great movie, that version of "Dawn" is separate from what I call "real" Zombie flicks.

Yeah, I'm something of a purist....

BTW, there's supposed to be a movie coming out based directly upon "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War". If you've never heard of the book, you should check it out. It was written by Max Brooks, son of Mel Brooks. The IMDb Entry, currently "predicted" to release in 2012.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    Actually, that wasn't a Romero flick, but a semi-remake of his original "Dawn of the Dead" from 1978. It was only loosely based off of his original script.
    Yeah, that's right, Zack Snyder. I'd forgotten that.

BTW, there's supposed to be a movie coming out based directly upon "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War". If you've never heard of the book, you should check it out. It was written by Max Brooks, son of Mel Brooks. The IMDb Entry, currently "predicted" to release in 2012.
    Yep, have that one and his other books too. Also have a few zombie compendiums that contain a story or two by him. He's good; follows Romero canon!

I'm wondering if the movie is vaporware. Been hearing about it for awhile now.

I liked the cameo Simon Pegg ("Shaun of the dead") did in Romero's "Land of the Dead." That must have been fun.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Yes, Max Brooks' work is great. Love his stuff thus far. Hope the movie actually comes about. The audio-book, which I've not yet listened to, is said to be fantastic. Has lots of name-stars doing reads for the characters, too.

BTW, did you know that Romero has a new Dead movie that's been completed, but not yet widely released? It's called Survival of the Dead. No clue when it'll see general release, as it's only been released at a couple of film festivals and currently has a run at ONE THEATER in L.A.

Just discovered that it's on Video On Demand - I've got AT&T U-Verse - so plan to watch it tomorrow night. Maybe I'll start it here in a few minutes instead....

BTW, check out these lil' Garden Zombies.... Garden Zombies Add An Undead Touch To Your Flowerbed, Hopefully Scare Solicitors - Geekologie
    Last edited by Griffworks; June 2nd, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Pincels miss spel werds;

Hope that this doesn't run too far afield in to off-topic. If so, Mods please feel free to split this and move it to a more appropriate forum....

This is in regards to George A. Romero's "Survival of the Dead".

SOME SPOILERS! NOTHING MAJOR, THO!

Discovered last night that this movie is available on Video On Demand on at least AT&T U-Verse - and it's likely available on others, as well.

Initial thoughts: good movie! Prolly Romero's best when you take the whole movie in to consideration. I know a lot of folks didn't like "Diary" and if you hatee it, you might not like this one. But it's got a LOT more action, less exposition, more plot and - believe it or not - more gore.

IMNSHO, the characters are just as believable as in "Diary" and seem fairly well thought-out, which is something I personally liked about "Diary". He's got the usual commentary on modern-day society, as well - the world is falling apart around them and some characters are stuck on greed of money, as well as wanting to settle ages-old debts of revenge.

One of the main character in this movie was seen in "Diary" - the two military jeeps that pull over the Winnebago w/the characters in "Diary". You remember them - the bandits who took all of the food and drinks from the main characters, but were at least good enough to leave them their weapons. Alan Van Sprang, who was the leader of that group, is the same character and is the leader of this group, as well. He was also Brubaker in "Land of the Dead" and plays the character Sarge in "Survival".

This movie has a much better overall portrayal of the military, IMNSHO, than we've seen in previous Romero Dead movies. Sarge and his crew are fairly realistic in how they're portrayed once the chain of command crumbles to nothing. They go rogue, but not so mercenary or heartless that they kill indiscrimently. At least, not that we see nor are we lead to believe that they're cruel and so selfish that they'd leave a baby by the side of the road to be eaten.

And that's all the details I'm going to give on this movie. I honestly did enjoy it, tho was disappointed in some things that I felt could have been done a bit differently. The SFX are pretty good, tho some aspects of them aren't terribly realistic. But again, this is escapist fantasy and isn't meant to be picked apart with a magnifying glass - just like most other movies these days.

It cost me $7 to "rent" it for two days. I'll definitely be adding this to my Zombie Apocylpse Collection once it's released to DVD.

That's all I've got. Love to hear comments from any others who've seen it.

And one more "BTW"! Frank Darabont and Gale Ann Hurd team up with AMC to bring us a live-action Zombie Series: The Walking Dead. It's based on the Image comic book of the same name - a series which is very well written, IMNSHO.

Pincels miss spel werds;

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Every Movie I watch... "See, baby, that's why you carry a GUN!!!"
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

LOL! True, Dat!

Another question asked by Wife is also answered: "See, that's why you also carry extra mag's! You don't want to get caught w/your pistol and only the ammuntion in the one magazine, d'ya?"

Pincels miss spel werds;

That's all I've got. Love to hear comments from any others who've seen it.
    Thanks for the review! I'll hopefully see it in the limited release soon on the big screen, and probably buy the DVD when Wallyworld stocks it. There're a few theatres here in the Detroit area that seem to show the limited release Romero movies - it's how I first happened on "Diary."

I just ignore the social commentary from Romero, it's usually typical Hollywood liberal tripe. It's all about the zombies.

And one more "BTW"! Frank Darabont and Gale Ann Hurd team up with AMC to bring us a live-action Zombie Series: The Walking Dead. It's based on the Image comic book of the same name - a series which is very well written, IMNSHO.
    That should be good - I've read all of the WD collections, but I don't keep up with the actual comic book releases. I just look for the "graphic novel" collections at Border's.

Dunno why but the link doesn't work. I just pasted First Look: Eight Photos From Frank Darabont’s The Walking Dead | /Film instead...

Thanks for the review! I'll hopefully see it in the limited release soon on the big screen, and probably buy the DVD when Wallyworld stocks it. There're a few theatres here in the Detroit area that seem to show the limited release Romero movies - it's how I first happened on "Diary."
    That's pretty kewel. I got to see "Land" and Diary" in the theater, but other than "Zombieland", I've not seen any other Zombie flix on the big screen. I wasn't yet in to Zombie's when the original "Day" came out.
    I just ignore the social commentary from Romero, it's usually typical Hollywood liberal tripe. It's all about the zombies.
    I actually like his commentary. He quite often makes sport of our society, particularly our need for "stuff", such as in the original "Dawn" w/the whole "Look at all this stuff! We're stayin' here in this mall!", "Land" with "I want $2 million (or whatever it was)" where there was no place to spend a dime other than Rolling Green or with "Diary" and our being desensitized to violence and gore. I don't think it's at all "liberal tripe", simply a commentary our how our society is these days.

I find it interesting how he tends to work that sort of stuff in to the characters in various ways, such as with this movie. The world is falling apart around them, but people still resort to petty, inane stuff that can ultimately get them killed. I think of it as something of an abstract study on the Gene Pool.
    That should be good - I've read all of the WD collections, but I don't keep up with the actual comic book releases. I just look for the "graphic novel" collections at Border's.
    That's how I've been picking them up, as well, tho from Amazon.com. If you get in on their pre-order price you can usually get them $1 to $3 off of the cover. I don't pay any extra shipping as I'm w/ the Amazon Prime program (cost is $79 a year, but you can choose between Free Two Day Shipping or Standard Shipping) I don't pay extra for shipping, tho you have to place several orders a year w/them for that program to be beneficial - which I do. I tend to save that $79 shipping w/in the first three or four months of each of my "year" timeframes.

Dunno why but the link doesn't work. I just pasted First Look: Eight Photos From Frank Darabontís The Walking Dead | /Film instead...
    Huh... That's the same link I posted. Weird....

Regardless, really looking foreward to this. I've not watched much of AMC's programming over the last couple years, but I like what I've seen. With Darabont and Hurd on board for this, it should be fantastic!

Pincels miss spel werds;

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links