I was interviewed...

I was interviewed...

This is a discussion on I was interviewed... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello friends, a few minutes ago I was interviewed. Now, for new members this is when a potential bad guy asks you a particular question ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was interviewed...

Hello friends, a few minutes ago I was interviewed. Now, for new members this is when a potential bad guy asks you a particular question to determine if you are sheeple. Well, about 15 minutes ago as I walked out of a local book store I was on my usual alert. I normally speak or make myself aware of people that are walking towards me in parking lots. I watch their hands eyes and normally speak. Well, tonight I did the normal routine except the guy continued in my direction. I immediately placed my book under my left arm pit and placed both hands on my stomache about mid level and here is the conversation:

BG: Hey you know how to jump start a car?
    BL: No, man I sure don't. ( This was said as I increased the distance between he and I, me backing up slightly aware of what and who was behind me.)

I know that seemed short but the entire time I looked into eyes, my spirit was building up and I knew this was an interview. The BG looked me over and continued to move to the inside of the store never asking anyone else if they could help him.

I relearned something tonight, and that is when you need a gun it does not matter what caliber it is. I had my .38 snub with 125 grain +P Gold Dots in the tubes, a reload and my knife and I was ready for anything that would have come next. My philosophy is this, never go without a fight. Be safe friends because the BG's are out there.

Thank You Lord for bringing me home....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

ya done good

Assistant Administrator
    Very likely a ''try-on'' ......... same category as ''got the time'' - ''got a light'', except more involved and so anyone caught with that line who may offer to help would be vulnerable more and for longer.

When wolf meets sheepdog and knows it - that's as far as it need go.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good job on recognizing the threat. It's sad to think of how many sheeple would have taken the bait.

Glad it didn't have to go further!

One thought here, maybe he did need a jump,
    The BG looked me over and continued to move to the inside of the store never asking anyone else if they could help him.
    it is good to be cautious but a true BG would not likely have gone into the store and asked every one there who could ID him later for help. Next time while keeping yor distance ask to see a DL and other ID, a true BG would run from this request. Sorry but I carry one of those portable jump starters and have given aid to a lot of people who needed it.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    On the other hand...

it is possible that he just needed a jump.

The guy isnt going to go around asking just everyone, more than likey he's gonna ask people that look like they have a clue if hes got half a brain. If it were me doing the asking, Im going to make my time productive, I probably wont be asking old men, old women, people that look like computer nerds or teenagers that are challenged when they put gas in the car.

Its very possible that you looked like you might actually know how to jump a car. Its very possible that no ill intent was forthcoming, and he thought that you could be of help.

Something else to consider...
    A guy up to no good usually wont start out a conversation with a technical question that implys a bit of knowledge.

Like JSheldon, I too have "jumped" several people. If you are concerned about them getting the drop on you while you are hooking up...you simply stand back and let them do it. If all they want to do is get a jump, then it'll be no problem.

Its good to be vigilant, but you dont need top make every question that is asked of you a major ordeal, because its not. Most of the time, a simple plea for help is just that...a simple plea for help.

I kind of figured I would get some saying that I should have gave into the guy and possibly helped him. Trust, me this is the reason they do what they do because they know deep inside we as humans want to help. This is how so many people get robbed and killed each and everyday. First, I noticed no car or truck in the area that needed this type of attention ( the hood raised etc.) Guys lets not get soft here, we must trust the little voice that is inside of us. Now, my little voice was saying be careful. Well, anyway, thanks for the comments and I hope someone read something here to help them.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Good job--glad you flunked.

IMO, typical interview.

Others can respond as they wish, I would echo your response.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Good job!

I understand the desire to help our fellow man, but sadly and tragically in this day and age, you have to be cautious about EVERYBODY! Trust your gut and instincts (like you did) and always watch your back.

You made it home safe tonight. That's what counts!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    Its good to help others, but you need to size up the individual and make your own choice. Blue Lion was there, and it was his butt on the line to risk. I will not second guess him from my computer chair.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Good job listening to the voice.

I've helped more than one person with a "jump", and I've declined to help a couple of times with various things because "it didn't feel right".

Got to listen to that voice, God put it there for a reason.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Listening to "The Voice" could keep you alive. Not listening to it might help an innocent stranger get his car started/tire changed/flat tire fixed a little faster. It's a sad state of affairs that this is even an issue, but I'll pick keeping myself alive every time. You did the right thing. If he really needed help, he got it from somebody else.

like he said, there was no car with its hood up in plain sight, so i would have done the same thing. Now if its in a barnes and noble parking lot and i can see the car and there are people around then sure I'll be a good samaritan, but i'll still be careful. I don't turn my back to strangers.
    Sure, more than likely the guy just needed a jump. And more than likely your voice was wrong. But would you bet your life on it. Better safe than dead.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Seems to me Blue Lion knew his turf and the threat levels around him and acted at the appropriate level.
    Life Member NRA
    American Legion
    Disabled American Veteran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links