Situation with Neighbors House - Page 2

Situation with Neighbors House

This is a discussion on Situation with Neighbors House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm with EVO80....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52

Thread: Situation with Neighbors House

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array cz75luver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    552
    I'm with EVO80.


  2. #17
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,304
    You risked everything, your son's everything for what?
    "Just blame Sixto"

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I was 99% sure (nothing is 100%) that nobody was in the house based upon past experience with the kids. It was still daylight out and they live on a main road.

    I don't feel that I put my son in danger at all. He was outside the home the whole time.

    I was more upset that the Police could come and I have a weapon that could get me in trouble.
    If you were so sure that nothing was wrong why the gun in the first place?

    Not trying to hammer you, just get you take an outsiders view of the situation and make some suggestions for future events. Maybe next time get the son to call 911 and tell them what's going on and give them a description of you (the good guy) if they did roll up while you were armed and there.

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array SIGguy229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Kommie-fornia-stan
    Posts
    7,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    Here is the situation that happened to me on Saturday night and you critique it.

    I go to pick up some food for my wife and on the way there I notice that my neighbor's (and very good friends that are in Mexico for the week) door is halfway open and the light in their house is on. Keep in mind they have 3 boys (14, 11 9 yrs. old) that are still in town staying with various other people. I think if it is still that way on my way back I will do something and it is, so when I get home I grab my gun (I had 2 choices my G23 or my Kahr MK9 and I chose the Glock) and my flashlight and tell my 19 yr. old son to go with me for a witness in case something happens. Halfway there I realize that neither of us had our cell phones on us but we continue on. I walk down to the house and I get to the door and poke my head inside and yell "hello" numerous times and get nothing except the noise of the 185 pound mastiff in the upstairs bedroom that the kids are letting out every day. I go into the house and check all the downstairs doors and windows and a couple of minutes go by and I realize that the kids probably just left the door open by mistake. The next thing that pops into my mind is what happens if someone saw me walk into this house and has decided to call the police and they show up. You have a person that has applied for a CCW (paperwork is at the Sheriffs) but is currently carrying illegally a gun in a house that does not belong to them with the homeowners in a foreign country.

    We are good friends with the neighbors and the 14 year old is on my baseball team but I could not get ahold of him and I did not try the parents.

    The whole time that I was in the house I had the gun in my hand in my hoodie but never brandished it in the house because of all of the windows.

    I have always wondered what gun I would choose if a situation like this came up and I chose the .40 cal Glock because of the 14 rounds vs. 7 for the 9mm MK9.

    What would you do different and what did I do wrong. I am a big boy so bring on the criticism!
    Call the police (non-emergency line)...tell them what you found, and the circumstances--i.e. neighbors out of the country. Ask them to check.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

    martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

  5. #20
    Member Array Pete14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If you were so sure that nothing was wrong why the gun in the first place?
    I almost didn't take it. I keep saying this but it seems to be falling on deaf ears "This has happened many times before".

    For those who say I put my son in danger I told him to stay in the driveway just in case. He had just as much chance of a drive-by as a criminal shooting him from inside the house.

    I really wanted the emphasize to be on the scenario of getting caught in the house with the gun because I am a very cautious and careful person but I did ask for criticism so I guess I have learned a good lesson!

  6. #21
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    22,340
    Why were you going to the store yourself, without your gun or cell phone? Your gun and cell phone are like an American Express Card. Don't leave home without it!

    I also would not have taken my son along. He's unarmed and something else to worry about if it is a dangerous situation.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,954
    I would have called the house, if the kids were there they may have answered. If not I would have called LE and told them the situation, and stayed in a safe place and made a good living witness if somebody that shouldn't have came out of the house. If there were any strange vehicles parked nearby I might have been prepared to follow at a reasonable distance and call LE again with the plate info and direction of travel.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

  8. #23
    Member Array silo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    229
    Call the cops. I've done so on a few occasions where an empty house near mine had its door open. Didn't even poke my head in, just called the cops and let them know I knew it was vacant but that the door was open. After an hour or so they came by, and spent about another hour trying to track down the guy who owned the house. Then locked the door and left.

    No reason to risk your life for other people's property.

  9. #24
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,474
    The only way that I'm going to clear a house is with properly placed Claymore's and some type of distant trigger mechanism. Other than that, I'll let the PD handle it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  10. #25
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,341
    Personally, I would have reported the situation to the Police. You could have asked that the responding officers contact you after they checked the residence and then you could have offered to lock it up. Bottom line, clearing a house is a dangerous scenario even for those trained (and wearing body armor) to do so. Just me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  11. #26
    Member Array merischino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern Florida
    Posts
    301
    While I recognize that your question was posted to ask for recommendations specifically about the CCW permit-pending aspect of the situation, I feel compelled to post my entire opinion, as have others. Please note that I am unleashing my entire opinion because you have stated that you are a "big boy" and can take it.

    1. Seeing the house door open when the family is known to be out of town would be my first instinct to call the police. The fact that it may have happened before, on however many occasions, is in my eyes obviated by the fact that the folks are out of town, and this fact is known to you and who knows how many other people. I would anticipate that even kids, who can be idiotic, would be significantly less likely to leave the door open or ajar when no one lives in the house at that time than they would when folks are home and inhabiting the house. Question: Why did you merely walk past fairly unconcerned that first time that you noticed the door was open? Knowing that the kids may, with dog responsibilities, be in the house at that time would put me *more* on alert, not less, that someone could get hurt by an intruder. What if they went out to walk the/chase after the dog, left the door ajar, then came home with/without the dog to be attacked by an intruder? Did this thought occur to you?

    2. Why did you leave home without your phone? anywhere in this scenario - on the way to the store or on the way to the vacant-but-being-burgled home? Why would you not, noticing this fact, go and remedy it *first* before getting yourself and your child into a dangerous potentially deadly situation?

    3. If you were the sort who truly believed that since "i go outside everyday and nothing happens" so therefore "this time when I go outside nothing will happen" you would not be the sort who owns both a Glock and an MK9. Why does this logic apply in this scenario when it does not make sense as regards arming yourself for everyday carry? Knowing certain specific facts that make *this* instance materially different than the "everyday" scenario, why would you choose to ignore them and risk both your own life and that of your son?

    4. Thinking that, because he is not clearing the house with you, your son is essentially safe when a gunfight is a potential outcome of you entering the house is just plain dumb. I hate to make a statement like that which you could interpret as an attack (its not), but I don't know any clearer way to put it. That man you expected you *might actually* find when you entered that house, may have had superior firepower and/or superior skill to your own, done away with you, and then hunted down anyone visible through all those glass windows who may have witnessed his misdeed either visually or aurally. Thinking otherwise being an active gun owner seems completely contrary to all the thoughts that go through people's minds when they pick up the idea of arming themselves. Do you worry about your wife not being armed, if you are attacked and downed? How about your children? You don't have your CCW yet, but have you pursued instruction of any kind?

    5. Having chosen to bring a gun along for the ride, and having chosen a larger magazine gun option than the other gun you might have chosen, you *did* demonstrate thinking actively, not passively, about the possible outcome of an actual gunfight. Nowhere did you demonstrate (either as per the pending permit when choosing to and selecting a gun to pick up or the choices you made after having chosen to carry a gun with you) what I would call appropriate "good guy gunman" thinking.

    6. You have confirmed the door is still open. You have confirmed that you have no phone. You have included your son in your misguided (in my opinion) attempt to go clear the house -- even though he will "only be a witness" and "is safe being outside". And you have assumedly already called the police. At this point, you make the decision to actually enter the house. My question: You could put off the threat to the neighbor's house long enough to not call the police in the beginning. You have put it off long enough to equip yourself for a gun fight. You have put it off long enough to engage and instruct your son in how he ought to behave. Why, exactly, can't you put it off long enough to just let the police arrive and perform this dangerous act in your stead -- aka their job?

    Where was the sense of urgency coming from? Was it your own desire to have an experience with your gun? A story to tell?

    7. You have posted here, and insist that you only care about what people say with regards to the permit. Here's what I think about the permit: Your demonstrable lack of clear thinking when faced with a clearly non-emergency situation that is also clearly and absolutely not an *immediate* threat to your, your son's (before you involved him), or anyone else's life for that matter would tend to indicate that your pending permit should maybe be denied.

    Just my humble opinion.

    8. As per clear thinking ability: The entire time you are inside the house, armed and holding your gun in a ready position (even if concealed), and supposedly actively "clearing the house" you report that you were occupied not in thinking about defensive/offensive positions or concerns, but with the pending status of your permit. If you had found an intruder and that intruder had been armed, your ability to control your own adrenaline rush and utilize that Glock you were holding in a manner suited to a self-defense purpose would have been severely compromised. You not only put your pending permit at risk, but your own continued freedom. What if you did find a BG? What if you *did* succeed at "defending yourself" -- whether he ends up DRT or not, a criminal suit aimed not at him but you by those police is virtually inevitable. How would you have been able to explain yourself in court in a way that would keep you out of jail and able to continue raising your son? The pending permit should *absolutely* have been the *last* think you were concerned about at that time. The permit concern is, in my eyes, the lowest common denominator of the issues presented by your post. The fact that the permit issue raised is the only thing you are concerned about is troubling.

    9. You are lucky, plain and simple, not to have been caught in that scenario with your gun. By anyone - police (pending permit application denied), homeowners or homeowner's children (potential misfire), by the ethereal BG (unlikely successful gunfight), or by the courts (assuming a successful gunfight).

    I do hope you take the feedback from this thread and rethink your thinking strategy overall. You may be fortunate not to have had this event impact the approval situation on your CCW. If you plan to keep guns whether in violation of or in accordance with a permit to carry, your safety and that of others depends on you being able to think and reflect more clearly on what you're doing with those guns.

  12. #27
    Member Array Pete14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    While I recognize that your question was posted to ask for recommendations specifically about the CCW permit-pending aspect of the situation, I feel compelled to post my entire opinion, as have others. Please note that I am unleashing my entire opinion because you have stated that you are a "big boy" and can take it.

    1. Seeing the house door open when the family is known to be out of town would be my first instinct to call the police. The fact that it may have happened before, on however many occasions, is in my eyes obviated by the fact that the folks are out of town, and this fact is known to you and who knows how many other people. I would anticipate that even kids, who can be idiotic, would be significantly less likely to leave the door open or ajar when no one lives in the house at that time than they would when folks are home and inhabiting the house. Question: Why did you merely walk past fairly unconcerned that first time that you noticed the door was open? Knowing that the kids may, with dog responsibilities, be in the house at that time would put me *more* on alert, not less, that someone could get hurt by an intruder. What if they went out to walk the/chase after the dog, left the door ajar, then came home with/without the dog to be attacked by an intruder? Did this thought occur to you?

    2. Why did you leave home without your phone? anywhere in this scenario - on the way to the store or on the way to the vacant-but-being-burgled home? Why would you not, noticing this fact, go and remedy it *first* before getting yourself and your child into a dangerous potentially deadly situation?

    3. If you were the sort who truly believed that since "i go outside everyday and nothing happens" so therefore "this time when I go outside nothing will happen" you would not be the sort who owns both a Glock and an MK9. Why does this logic apply in this scenario when it does not make sense as regards arming yourself for everyday carry? Knowing certain specific facts that make *this* instance materially different than the "everyday" scenario, why would you choose to ignore them and risk both your own life and that of your son?

    4. Thinking that, because he is not clearing the house with you, your son is essentially safe when a gunfight is a potential outcome of you entering the house is just plain dumb. I hate to make a statement like that which you could interpret as an attack (its not), but I don't know any clearer way to put it. That man you expected you *might actually* find when you entered that house, may have had superior firepower and/or superior skill to your own, done away with you, and then hunted down anyone visible through all those glass windows who may have witnessed his misdeed either visually or aurally. Thinking otherwise being an active gun owner seems completely contrary to all the thoughts that go through people's minds when they pick up the idea of arming themselves. Do you worry about your wife not being armed, if you are attacked and downed? How about your children? You don't have your CCW yet, but have you pursued instruction of any kind?

    5. Having chosen to bring a gun along for the ride, and having chosen a larger magazine gun option than the other gun you might have chosen, you *did* demonstrate thinking actively, not passively, about the possible outcome of an actual gunfight. Nowhere did you demonstrate (either as per the pending permit when choosing to and selecting a gun to pick up or the choices you made after having chosen to carry a gun with you) what I would call appropriate "good guy gunman" thinking.

    6. You have confirmed the door is still open. You have confirmed that you have no phone. You have included your son in your misguided (in my opinion) attempt to go clear the house -- even though he will "only be a witness" and "is safe being outside". And you have assumedly already called the police. At this point, you make the decision to actually enter the house. My question: You could put off the threat to the neighbor's house long enough to not call the police in the beginning. You have put it off long enough to equip yourself for a gun fight. You have put it off long enough to engage and instruct your son in how he ought to behave. Why, exactly, can't you put it off long enough to just let the police arrive and perform this dangerous act in your stead -- aka their job?

    Where was the sense of urgency coming from? Was it your own desire to have an experience with your gun? A story to tell?

    7. You have posted here, and insist that you only care about what people say with regards to the permit. Here's what I think about the permit: Your demonstrable lack of clear thinking when faced with a clearly non-emergency situation that is also clearly and absolutely not an *immediate* threat to your, your son's (before you involved him), or anyone else's life for that matter would tend to indicate that your pending permit should maybe be denied.

    Just my humble opinion.

    8. As per clear thinking ability: The entire time you are inside the house, armed and holding your gun in a ready position (even if concealed), and supposedly actively "clearing the house" you report that you were occupied not in thinking about defensive/offensive positions or concerns, but with the pending status of your permit. If you had found an intruder and that intruder had been armed, your ability to control your own adrenaline rush and utilize that Glock you were holding in a manner suited to a self-defense purpose would have been severely compromised. You not only put your pending permit at risk, but your own continued freedom. What if you did find a BG? What if you *did* succeed at "defending yourself" -- whether he ends up DRT or not, a criminal suit aimed not at him but you by those police is virtually inevitable. How would you have been able to explain yourself in court in a way that would keep you out of jail and able to continue raising your son? The pending permit should *absolutely* have been the *last* think you were concerned about at that time. The permit concern is, in my eyes, the lowest common denominator of the issues presented by your post. The fact that the permit issue raised is the only thing you are concerned about is troubling.

    9. You are lucky, plain and simple, not to have been caught in that scenario with your gun. By anyone - police (pending permit application denied), homeowners or homeowner's children (potential misfire), by the ethereal BG (unlikely successful gunfight), or by the courts (assuming a successful gunfight).

    I do hope you take the feedback from this thread and rethink your thinking strategy overall. You may be fortunate not to have had this event impact the approval situation on your CCW. If you plan to keep guns whether in violation of or in accordance with a permit to carry, your safety and that of others depends on you being able to think and reflect more clearly on what you're doing with those guns.
    You think you are alot smarter than you really are!

    Just my humble opinion!

  13. #28
    New Member Array sig man1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    detroit
    Posts
    5
    sorry Pete but Merischino is right. It looked to me that your trying to play cop and could have gotten hurt bad. Your not protecting someone, not even your property.The idea that you had to do something is ludicrous, beyond calling the police you had no business doing anything else. Your lucky nothing happened.

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array rottkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    You think you are alot smarter than you really are!

    Just my humble opinion!
    I disagree, he makes some very good points. You threw caution to the wind and got lucky but your actions could have caused you and your son a lifetime of pain.

    I am not going to add to it as it seems NOW you don't really want to hear the real thoughts of the group that don't suit you.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

    NRA Member

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array cvhoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I disagree, he makes some very good points. You threw caution to the wind and got lucky but your actions could have caused you and your son a lifetime of pain.

    I am not going to add to it as it seems NOW you don't really want to hear the real thoughts of the group that don't suit you.
    Agree 100%. If you are only interested in opinions that agree with your actions, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. Having been around this forum for a few years, I can't imagine many members agreeing with actions that risk your life for a property crime, especially property that doesn't belong to you.

    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

    NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Do YOU know who your neighbors are???
    By Zsnake in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 17th, 2011, 04:35 PM
  2. Problems with the neighbors... already!
    By titleist in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: September 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
  3. Iowa National Guard to practice house to house gun searches!! (MERGED)
    By bps3040 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: March 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
  4. Seems I can't win when it comes to new neighbors...
    By TN_Mike in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Search tags for this page

kowboy trespass

Click on a term to search for related topics.