Situation with Neighbors House

This is a discussion on Situation with Neighbors House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Definitely agree with all those who say you should have stayed out of the house. I know he's your neighbor and sounds like you're pretty ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Situation with Neighbors House

Definitely agree with all those who say you should have stayed out of the house. I know he's your neighbor and sounds like you're pretty good friends, but I'm sure he has homeowner's insurance that would have taken care of him. It's not worth getting killed, hurt, or arrested over some stuff, especially if that stuff isn't even yours...

2. Remove Ads

You only did one thing wrong IMHO EVERYTHING
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So, let's review.

There is no chance anything is wrong, you did not risk your life or your son's life.

OR

There is a chance you're walking in on an one or more possibly armed criminals, who could very well hurt/kill you and your son.

Can't have it both ways dude. Also, you may be interested to know that cops are allowed to read the internet. Committing a crime (a felony, depending on your state) then bragging about it on the internet is about as intelligent as, oh I don't know, barging around other people's houses playing SWAT.

I did a lot of house clearing in Iraq. Rifle, body armour, grenades, and a fire team of similarly armed Marines with me, and even then I hated it. For you to go strolling into a dangerous situation only underscores that you do not appreciate the possible consequences of your actions.

LLT
    If you knew your neighbors weren't home, what possible reason would you have for trespassing, putting you AND your son's life in danger (and let's not pretend you didn't -- had there been an intruder inside that killed you, ran out the front door and saw your son there -- I think we know the potential outcome) to clear a house that doesn't even belong to you?

If I came home to my own house (much less my neighbor's) and found the door opened, I'm not going in. In Virginia, it's illegal to use deadly force upon someone to defend property. Stuff is stuff - I'm insured.

You shouldn't have a CCW IMHO and this illustrates my personal belief (however unpopular) that not everyone should be able to have them... but that's for another topic.

Fortunately you and your son are OK.... this time.

The way I would have handled this situation is as follows:

Immediately get my cell phone, gun, and flashlight. Enlist the help of my 19 year old. Call 911 and get the cops on the way. Tell my son to stay in our house, but surveille the neighbors house. If he sees anyone suspicious, stay put, and be the eyes and ears of the police.

Meanwhile, I'd have gone to the opposite side of my neighbor's house and done exactly the same thing, cell phone in hand.

Clearing a home is probably THE most dangerous thing a person can do, with or without training.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You only did one thing wrong IMHO EVERYTHING
    +1

1. Call cops
    2. Go back to your house
    3. Try to contact homeowner

None of this required a firearm, your teenage son, or clearing a house.

You put yourself and your son at risk for somebody else's insured possessions. You played the ninja fool.

BTW, burglars who want your guns, silver, and flat screen TV often could care less about your truck. Your assumptions and thought processes are suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Why would you endanger your life and your sons life for a property crime? If you can see the location, what would you gain by being there armed over calling 911 and staying out of the physical equation?

Remember, entering an unknown situation where you are second to arrive means you are playing catch up. The bad guy could easily be waiting behind cover for you to turn your back. Would you want your son to be the witness to that?

What if police had already been called and drove up while you were standing there with a gun?

Don't mean to rant, it just seems that so many feel a gun will protect them and they insert themselves into situations that don't call for an armed non LEO.
    OK...well I was going to post but this one kinda say it all
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    You think you are alot smarter than you really are!

Just my humble opinion!
    Really? I thought he was dead nuts accurate!
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I am a big boy so bring on the criticism!
    So...... when you say you're a big boy, and ask for a critique, you then slander another poster's intelligence.

Weird.

In your put-down, you also use the term "alot". There is no word "alot". It is two words: a lot.

If you're going to insult someone's intelligence, take some time to ensure you spell correctly.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I would have called PD and waited in my house....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Good points and looking back I would do it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    So...... when you say you're a big boy, and ask for a critique, you then slander another poster's intelligence.

Weird.

In your put-down, you also use the term "alot". There is no word "alot". It is two words: a lot.

If you're going to insult someone's intelligence, take some time to ensure you spell correctly.
    Excellent point. My mistake.

I guess my question is, what if there was someone in the house and you shot them. Then what? In some states you can get away with it but in some you can not. What if it was a son of the homeowners and you accidentally shot them. I know this is all what if but the scenario calls for what ifs.

You can't do the wrong thing the right way.
    You broke the law as soon as you left your property and entered your neighbors with a loaded handgun.

wow...I wouldn't talk about this any more If I was you. In person or especially on a public forum...

There were so many things you just did not think about in this situation and thats what gets people killed, hurt, arrested or the like. I hope you learned a valuable lesson and I hope some common sense and a thought process comes with that CCW your getting or your in for a heck of ride. You had good intentions I'll give you that, but that isn't going to save/help you.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links