Situation with Neighbors House

This is a discussion on Situation with Neighbors House within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the situation that happened to me on Saturday night and you critique it. I go to pick up some food for my wife ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Situation with Neighbors House

Situation with Neighbors House

Here is the situation that happened to me on Saturday night and you critique it.

I go to pick up some food for my wife and on the way there I notice that my neighbor's (and very good friends that are in Mexico for the week) door is halfway open and the light in their house is on. Keep in mind they have 3 boys (14, 11 9 yrs. old) that are still in town staying with various other people. I think if it is still that way on my way back I will do something and it is, so when I get home I grab my gun (I had 2 choices my G23 or my Kahr MK9 and I chose the Glock) and my flashlight and tell my 19 yr. old son to go with me for a witness in case something happens. Halfway there I realize that neither of us had our cell phones on us but we continue on. I walk down to the house and I get to the door and poke my head inside and yell "hello" numerous times and get nothing except the noise of the 185 pound mastiff in the upstairs bedroom that the kids are letting out every day. I go into the house and check all the downstairs doors and windows and a couple of minutes go by and I realize that the kids probably just left the door open by mistake. The next thing that pops into my mind is what happens if someone saw me walk into this house and has decided to call the police and they show up. You have a person that has applied for a CCW (paperwork is at the Sheriffs) but is currently carrying illegally a gun in a house that does not belong to them with the homeowners in a foreign country.

We are good friends with the neighbors and the 14 year old is on my baseball team but I could not get ahold of him and I did not try the parents.

The whole time that I was in the house I had the gun in my hand in my hoodie but never brandished it in the house because of all of the windows.

I have always wondered what gun I would choose if a situation like this came up and I chose the .40 cal Glock because of the 14 rounds vs. 7 for the 9mm MK9.

What would you do different and what did I do wrong. I am a big boy so bring on the criticism!

2. Remove Ads

If I suspect that a prowler is in my neighbor's house, I personally wouldn't go in. They have the advantage of being in hiding and you are at a disadvantage because you may have to react to an ambush in a home that isn't your own.

Putting aside the legal issue of carrying a gun without a license, I would have simply secured the house and called it in to PD to search/clear, keeping an eye on it until their arrival.

Oh yeah. Your phone and flash light should go anywhere your gun goes.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I am defensive minded tactically. So please don't misunderstand. It is just the way I plan things. My theory is hide and wait for the criminal to walk into my ambush rather than the other way around.

Your 19 year old was placed in a potentially dangerous situation. You were placed in a potentially dangerous situation. Perhaps the thing to have done would be set up a good position to observe the house and door. Meanwhile work the phones to locate the sitter families. If no luck, I would consider calling the police for advice.

Here are a few things I would have done differently. Just my opinion.

First, I would have first called 911 and reported what I saw. I would have brought my cell phone - may have been on the phone while I approached the house with my wife although I wouldn't be talking to her but the phone would be in my hand of pocket so she could listen.

I would not have brought my teenager along with me and put them in potentially harmís way - if I brought anyone along I would have left them were they could see the house but far enough away to be safe. They could also speak to the police and tell them I was by the house should they show up when I was there.

I would have never entered the house - the most I would have done was to walk the perimeter and check/note if all doors and windows were closed and walked back out to the street to wait for the police to arrive and watch to see if anyone exits the house.

Clearing a house is not my job. I guess, in effect, I would have been a good witness.

My 19 year old stayed outside until I told him to come in.

One thing that I did not add is their door gets left open probably once or twice a month because their kids will accidentaly let the dog out and they chase them around the nighborhood or they do not shut it good so I knew there was a good probability that is what happended. The difference was the parents were gone.

The owner has a $50,000 dually sitting in the driveway so I knew there was a pretty good chance that would be gone if they were getting robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Oh yeah. Your phone and flash light should go anywhere your gun goes.
    I had my flashlight just not my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO80 View Post

I would have never entered the house - the most I would have done was to walk the perimeter and check/note if all doors and windows were closed
    They have a privacy fence around the back of the house so I could not do this as do the neighbors so I would have to walk a 1/4 mile to see the back.

I agree with EVO80.

I'm not trained to clear a house, so i'm not going to unless circumstances absolutely called for it. I'd post up and be a good witness, while trying to contact the family that might know more? Even calling the house number repeatedly.. If one of the kids are home, they'd answer it. Maybe a constantly ringing phone would freak an intruder out and they'd take off.

After some time, I'd probably call the police and let them handle it from there.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Call 911 and do not enter the house. Getting caught with out a permit for the gun could really cost you. If you were to get shot in the process who is going to pay your bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Getting caught with out a permit for the gun could really cost you.
    This was the part that I was worried the most about because I was 98% sure the kids left the door open. I was also 100% sure that the neighhbor has no problem with me being in their house. It was the cops showing up that scared me the most and I am 100% sure I wouldn't be getting my CCW approved if I got caught.

Why would you endanger your life and your sons life for a property crime? If you can see the location, what would you gain by being there armed over calling 911 and staying out of the physical equation?

Remember, entering an unknown situation where you are second to arrive means you are playing catch up. The bad guy could easily be waiting behind cover for you to turn your back. Would you want your son to be the witness to that?

What if police had already been called and drove up while you were standing there with a gun?

Don't mean to rant, it just seems that so many feel a gun will protect them and they insert themselves into situations that don't call for an armed non LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Don't mean to rant, it just seems that so many feel a gun will protect them and they insert themselves into situations that don't call for an armed non LEO.
    Just curious: are you yourself a LEO?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just curious: are you yourself a LEO?
    No (not for many years and not in a civilian capacity that is), but I do have first hand experience with what they go through for training to do building clearing and even they hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    I am defensive minded tactically. So please don't misunderstand. It is just the way I plan things. My theory is hide and wait for the criminal to walk into my ambush rather than the other way around.

Your 19 year old was placed in a potentially dangerous situation. You were placed in a potentially dangerous situation. Perhaps the thing to have done would be set up a good position to observe the house and door. Meanwhile work the phones to locate the sitter families. If no luck, I would consider calling the police for advice.
    This!

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I was 99% sure (nothing is 100%) that nobody was in the house based upon past experience with the kids. It was still daylight out and they live on a main road.

I don't feel that I put my son in danger at all. He was outside the home the whole time.

I was more upset that the Police could come and I have a weapon that could get me in trouble.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links