Book store scenario (for real) - Page 3

Book store scenario (for real)

This is a discussion on Book store scenario (for real) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ZombieShoot You carry your purse while you work? The OP said the BG waited until the store closed. That meant it was ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Book store scenario (for real)

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieShoot View Post
    You carry your purse while you work?

The OP said the BG waited until the store closed. That meant it was only employees in there.

Once he starts herding then yes you've got to fight IMHO but the odds are that no one is going to have a gun except the BG.
    OP said, "waited until closing time."

I've been in many stores past closing time and had to be let out. They lock the doors so new customers dont come in, but they dont like to lose potential sales.

As an employee, if we're closing I'd probably have my purse close at hand so I could leave, except that most likely, that employer wouldnt allow cc anyway.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

My last response brought to mind something else.

As a CCer (and even if not), as an employee, I would have had at least some plans for self-defense in mind already. To be 'prepared.'

I dont really have one for this scenario as a bookstore employee, maybe have pepper spray on me, have a weapon (not a gun) hidden back near the storeroom or somewhere else, not sure.

But even now and at previous office jobs (always unable to carry) I have plans at least in mind, in case of criminal activity or 'disgruntled employee shooting' type scenarios.

So if I was one of those employees, I'd have at least some idea of what I'd try to do.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

hehe the way some of you will stretch scenarios to have your gun near you......

lol

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I would probably wet my pants.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I'm not large enough to be considered part of a herd, I won't be going.
    Prior to the herding I would have found a position of cover if possible and been in the low/ready state, after making a 911 call.
    I may qualify as a herd all by myself.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I may qualify as a herd all by myself.
    Pretty funny BudDude
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

this actually made me remember this. i worked at hardees for others it would be carls jr. ANYWAYS i asked what their policy was on employees carrying concealed he said they didnt like it. so after i asked what if someone comes in and trys to rob the place the managers response give him the money and hope thats all they want. i actually laughed and said really just give him the money and hope thats all he does.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    this actually made me remember this. i worked at hardees for others it would be carls jr. ANYWAYS i asked what their policy was on employees carrying concealed he said they didnt like it. so after i asked what if someone comes in and trys to rob the place the managers response give him the money and hope thats all they want. i actually laughed and said really just give him the money and hope thats all he does.
    Now the following statement may vary from state to state but... Employers arn't responsible for defensive actions taken by CHL holder. At least its true for Ohio. Because employers arn't educated with current CHL laws they tell thier employees with CHL not to carry and to roll over. Its better to present the question after you hand them some document with the provision indicating they arn't liable.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

This is why my 380 does not fill me with confidence! I really want open carry with an 870!
    It's a judgement call, if you think a deadly attack is imminent then act, otherwise be cool and play along. If they want the money they will be focused on the money but if they want the people they will focus on the people. I would have fought at the first opportunity in this scenario. It was G-ds hand that stayed this one!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    funny...you laughed but in this scenario it would have worked perfectly...who's right?...

i knew a girl in high school who worked at a small grocery....she told me on the bus one morning that she was robbed the night before...i asked what happened...she said a guy came in with a shotgun and told me to give him the money...so i did...then he robbed the safe in the managers office...

i asked why she seemed so calm...she said it had happened before...when someone comes in and asks for money we give it to them...and they go away...

she is still alive....you laugh....thats why stores generally have no carry policies and tell their employees to comply...they dont want wannabe heroes getting everyone in the store killed...

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    Computer searches be Darned! Given the circumstances outlined in the OP, I am reminded of the Dylan Thomas poem, 'Do not go gentle into that good night, .............rage, rage, against the dying of the light!'

One who is frightened of what their computer may reveal, in common conversation on forums, as opposed to the defending of their very life, should, at this moment, take a cutting torch to their hard drive, and dispense of the practice of computer use, if it is a hindering thought at a moment of 'fight or die'.

Jus' me, YMMV.
    who would have been defending their life in this scenario?...and where was the dying of the light?...

help me out here....the money ws taken and everyone released...the poetry is nice but this wasnt a battle as the originator intended...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    who would have been defending their life in this scenario?...and where was the dying of the light?...

help me out here....the money ws taken and everyone released...the poetry is nice but this wasnt a battle as the originator intended...
    This one is easy. Unless one is 'psychic', how does one know in advance what is going to transpire, upon arrival at the intended spot the DB has in mind?

If you are willing to wait, even if you believed you could successfully defend, given the right set of circumstances, that is certainly your prerogative. All is speculative, except for those who KNOW just how they would react.

Speculatively speaking, as it were, I hope that I would have the wits, and the intestinal fortitude to act decisively in defense, given the aid of cooperating circumstances. That, to my mind, is the purpose of forethought, consideration, and practice. No?
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    This one is easy. Unless one is 'psychic', how does one know in advance what is going to transpire, upon arrival at the intended spot the DB has in mind?

If you are willing to wait, even if you believed you could successfully defend, given the right set of circumstances, that is certainly your prerogative. All is speculative, except for those who KNOW just how they would react.

Speculatively speaking, as it were, I hope that I would have the wits, and the intestinal fortitude to act decisively in defense, given the aid of cooperating circumstances. That, to my mind, is the purpose of forethought, consideration, and practice. No?
    i understand and well put...but in this thread there have been many making preemptive strikes against the thief....who in this case turns out to be just a thief...are we looking for an opportunity to use a gun because we have one or waiting for necessity?...

i realize there is no way to know what the outcome is going to be but are some in too big a hurry to create one?..

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    i understand and well put...but in this thread there have been many making preemptive strikes against the thief....who in this case turns out to be just a thief...are we looking for an opportunity to use a gun because we have one or waiting for necessity?...
    i realize there is no way to know what the outcome is going to be but are some in too big a hurry to create one?..
    well... I "need" to protect my life so I guess I would use my pistol out of nessesity.

All life is sacred... but MY life is very important to me...more important then the BG who is threatning it. In the here and now If I am forced to take the BG's life in order to protect mine, I would.

I would also have to live for the rest of my life with the fact that I took his life. No matter the reason its something that would haunt my memories. But I believe if I am alive only because I took down the BG who was threatning to kill me... I would be OK with that.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

A thief with a gun!

The answer is 'a blowin' in the wind', to reference another poem,Ha,Ha. I for one, hope with all my being that I never need pull my primary, or any backup defense mechanism. I carry MACE also, at work, with other options. Hopefully that would be my first choice, if prudent.

However, I, as I am sure you also, have watched so many of the videos of actual events, where the worthless loser fires upon victims, even cooperative victims, for whatever reason the scumbag's despicable gray matter prompts him to do so. I think that is worthy of consideration, in one's decision processes.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links