Give me the wallet or Die!!!

This is a discussion on Give me the wallet or Die!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A what if situation for you guys (or ladies) You're walking down the street in seattle at night with a lady type friend. Just enjoying ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me the wallet or Die!!!

Exclamation Give me the wallet or Die!!!

A what if situation for you guys (or ladies)

You're walking down the street in seattle at night with a lady type friend. Just enjoying the night as i enjoy to do after going to anthonys or daniels steakhouse or something. A man comes out of a alley and points a revolver at your face and tells you he wants your wallet or you and the lady die.
    He's kind of in the shadows and there are not a whole lot of people around so don't plan on any outside help. The revolver is cocked and you can see bullets in the cylinder. His finger is uncomfortably tight on the trigger.
    You have your ccw at 3 oclock (in my case a 642 with speer golddots)
    He is about 10-15 feet away.
    What do you do?
    The lady has instictively gotten behind you and the guy is impatient. Obviously you can legally blow him away, but would you risk it?
    I'm not sure what i would do really. He has the advantage. I could feint going for my wallet and instead give him some lead instead. Or i could give him the wallet and hope for the best. He's too far for hand to hand ninja stuff or disarms (which i don't trust myself attempting anyway)
    Also lets say this girl (or guy) you are with is not good with guns and is not trained in anything.
    They are completely helpless.
    (so no "why wife and i would dive in opposite directions like we trained while shooting matrix style with our matching ivory gripped 1911's")
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

2. Remove Ads

Grab my wallet, throw it on the ground and make him look down to pick it up. He would have to look down, he would be distracted just enough for me to step out of the sites of his gun and I would then surprise him, make him shoot all of his 6 rounds trying to hit me, but missing because the BG is untrained most likely, and when you are a nervous bad guy, you aren't shooting your best! At that time, hes out of ammo, I pull out my gun, he runs away, IF im a nice guy he gets to run away and I call the cops, If I am angry, He has 17 rounds of 9mm to dodge from my Glock 19, and ****** that gun is as accurate as a rugger .22 so he better find a darned quick hiding spot, then when hes shot and on the ground, my lady friend will kick him when hes down. Yeah thats justice.

hmm you forgot the lady friend there fitz. You dodged and let her take the lead aimed at you. Not very chivilrous of you.
    Maybe push the girl down on the ground as you open fire.(not a great idea to let him fire 6 shots at you. You might dodge into one.)
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

VIP Member
    First thought is give him the wallet. Toss it all the way to his feet so he doesn't need to get any closer to me. Keep my eyes open for an out or an opportunity to draw. Not much else I can do at this point from what I can see. I'm always open for better answers, though.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Toss my the money clip I carry with a wad of 1's just for this possibility at his feet, or even slightly behind him. When he goes to pick it up I will install a 230gr sunroof.

PJH
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    First thought is give him the wallet. Toss it all the way to his feet so he doesn't need to get any closer to me. Keep my eyes open for an out or an opportunity to draw. Not much else I can do at this point from what I can see. I'm always open for better answers, though.
    This seems like the safest approach.

This is one of the situations where a P32 or P3AT in a wallet holster would come in mighty handy.

-Paul

los
    Carry a Seecamp in a Wallet Holster. Nuff Said!!

There's a 50/50 chance he's going to shoot you when you relinquish your "wallet" anyway. It's always best when the odds are on your side.

The element of surpise is paramount!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

What you do not want to do is stand there flatfooted and just draw. he already has the drop on you.

The distraction of tossing your wallet seems a good idea. That may give you time to:

1. Run/retreat. He is unlikely to hit you, but your friend has to know to run as well.

2. Back up/move laterally while drawing (do NOT wait for him to fire 6 rounds!). But your friend has to move off the line of fire herself as well.

You could also just give him the wallet and hope for the best, although I have a personal friend who successfully did this, you put your life totally in the BG hands, not a good option.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman
    What you do not want to do is stand there flatfooted and just draw. he already has the drop on you.
    I agree 100%. I failed to state that in my post! Diversion first, then element of surprise with wallet CCW. {need a little coffee in my veins }

Lead Moderator
    toss the wallet and then try to pull the lady down and to the side as I draw , if he runs let him, if he refocuses on us, shoot.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack
    hmm you forgot the lady friend there fitz. You dodged and let her take the lead aimed at you. Not very chivilrous of you.
    Maybe push the girl down on the ground as you open fire.(not a great idea to let him fire 6 shots at you. You might dodge into one.)
    my gf wouldn't be that stupid to just stand there MacAttack, she would be holding on to me as tight as possible, and if hes standing in an alley, i would run out of the allery so his shots would hit the side of the building.

los
    FYI..... (Police Officer shot in attempted hold up)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12680223/

......He passed away a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fitznig
    Grab my wallet, throw it on the ground and make him look down to pick it up. He would have to look down, he would be distracted just enough for me to step out of the sites of his gun and I would then surprise him, make him shoot all of his 6 rounds trying to hit me, but missing because the BG is untrained most likely, and when you are a nervous bad guy, you aren't shooting your best! At that time, hes out of ammo, I pull out my gun, he runs away, IF im a nice guy he gets to run away and I call the cops, If I am angry, He has 17 rounds of 9mm to dodge from my Glock 19, and ****** that gun is as accurate as a rugger .22 so he better find a darned quick hiding spot, then when hes shot and on the ground, my lady friend will kick him when hes down. Yeah thats justice.

Does the bad guy get a say in this script?

erh
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack
    A what if situation for you guys (or ladies)

You're walking down the street in seattle at night with a lady type friend. Just enjoying the night as i enjoy to do after going to anthonys or daniels steakhouse or something. A man comes out of a alley and points a revolver at your face and tells you he wants your wallet or you and the lady die.
    He's kind of in the shadows and there are not a whole lot of people around so don't plan on any outside help. The revolver is cocked and you can see bullets in the cylinder. His finger is uncomfortably tight on the trigger.
    You have your ccw at 3 oclock (in my case a 642 with speer golddots)
    He is about 10-15 feet away.
    What do you do?
    The lady has instictively gotten behind you and the guy is impatient. Obviously you can legally blow him away, but would you risk it?
    I'm not sure what i would do really. He has the advantage. I could feint going for my wallet and instead give him some lead instead. Or i could give him the wallet and hope for the best. He's too far for hand to hand ninja stuff or disarms (which i don't trust myself attempting anyway)
    Also lets say this girl (or guy) you are with is not good with guns and is not trained in anything.
    They are completely helpless.
    (so no "why wife and i would dive in opposite directions like we trained while shooting matrix style with our matching ivory gripped 1911's")
    Frankly, ability or not; I'd likely opt to give the guy the wallet. It's only a wallet and (Maybe...) some dirty paper. Shooting someone sucks; especially for "Stuff" instead of "Just Cause..!" My .02 cents
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

In the past three years I have dated two woman who both carry, one an instructor.

With this in mind I have had the opportunity to work out tactics for couples. If deemed safe and only if it appeared to be the best option, toss the wad (sad to say it's more then ones) and she goes for the gun and takes care of business and if not safe kiss the money good bye. Money can be replaced while our lives are not.

Best thing to do is stay away from those areas which are not safe in the first place.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links