Technology forces career change: burglars -> muggers

This is a discussion on Technology forces career change: burglars -> muggers within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Technology forces career change on burglars | TG Daily If that is indeed true you are less likely to be burglarized these days but walking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technology forces career change: burglars -> muggers

Technology forces career change on burglars | TG Daily

If that is indeed true you are less likely to be burglarized these days but walking around with (visible) expensive phones/ipods is a bad idea.

It's a common complaint that new technology has drastically altered many job descriptions.

But the problem affects more people than you might think, according to a British criminologist, who suggests that we should perhaps spare a thought for good old traditional burglars.

The increasing minaturisation and commoditisation of technology has meant a fundamental shift away from burglary and towards mugging, says James Treadwell of the University of Leicester's Department of Criminology.

Globalisation, and particularly cheaper electronic goods from China and the Far East, has altered behaviour among Britain's housebreakers - essentially making them redundant.

"If we look back to the 1980s and 1990s, the type of staple crimes would be, for example, very often burglary and car crime, and those crimes worked because they followed a business model and it was possible to break into a house and steal a video recorder and sell that at a profit," he says.

"Cheap labour in China has had an impact on the type of crime that's committed in the UK and the type of goods that are stolen today. Gradually, the prices of such goods has fallen so low that they almost have no resale value. If you can buy a DVD player for 19.99, it's simply not worth stealing."

It's now expensive, personal items which are the most attractive as they're easier to sell on, leading the more enterprising criminals to reskill.

"While we might have seen a decline in some types of crime, we have seen a rise in other forms of criminal activity, particularly young people who seem to be mugging one another," says Treadwell.

"While DVD players for example, got cheaper, certain consumer items became smaller and were very, very expensive and sought after and so the latest mobile phone, or the latest ipod, which people carry about them, have become targets for robbers."

Treadwell will present his findings to the British Society of Criminology in July.

I prefer this technology to make a criminal consider a career change.

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

That's purty dsee..what is that? Is that the S&W logo on there?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Haven't been to the UK for several years, but street muggings are the norm in Australia now. They picked up after the Olympics in 2000 and haven't gone back down. Along with the new Australian national pasttime-rape.

I'd hate to live in one of these hell-holes, bad enough to have to travel there.

Brilliant. I figured this was common sense. I mean, it's true of everyone else. Why shouldn't it be true of criminals as well?

IMO, it will always be true, that criminals change their goals and M.O. based on opportunity and availability. If the costs exceed the benefits, like anyone they'll tend to look elsewhere.

Which is why defensive carry works as well as it does. Same principle.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Maddyfish, you're not missing a thing in the UK. I live there for 4 years and just came back to the states the middle of '09. Crime is rampant in England mostly with young thugs using knifes. Not much gun crime but it does happen. During the winter with the long night times, I'd hear of muggings happening routinely on the radio while people were walking/riding bike to work or back home at the end of the day.

Breaking and entering is out of control as well there. 2 years ago, my boss was woke up by the Bobbies knocking on his bedroom door at 0300 saying "Police, Police". What had happened, 3 guys had broke into his house, opened every door (so they could make a quick exit when needed) and started piling things up to take. They even pushed his Jaguar out of the drive way so they could get to his Escalade. Fortunately a neighbor saw that happening and called the police. My boss, his wife, 4 children and visiting mom and dad did not hear a thing until the police woke them up. This type of event was so common it was unbelievable.

The other common summer crime is to ring your door during the day and while someone is talking to you another BG enters the back of the house (most people leave the back doors open in summer) and steals you blind or they're even bold enough to take the person hostage a bit while they get everything together to steal and then leave.

During my long tour on that island, I pondered how things would be different if the laws allowed their citizens to be armed. I could could keep going about the crime we routinely experience, like kids burning out broken down cars on the side of the road or the 20 Brits on 1 American Airman fights that occured regularly. I am so glad to be back home to the U.S.A.

Sad Alf. It sounds like they (bg's) feel that if they can stay out of arm's reach, they're safe. They just make sure they have escape routes.

Is pepper spray common in the UK? Is it legal? I think I would carry it, if allowed.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

It's a crime to defend yourself in the UK,that's why thugs are so brazen,if you defend yourself you get in more trouble than the criminals
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Us military folks were told we could not carry pepper spray so I assumed it was against the law since we have to abide by the host nation rules and laws. I felt very naked while in civi's traveling around. Carrying a knife was illegal so I couldnt even keep one in the pocket. However, I got around this by carrying my Leatherman since it was a tool that just so happened to have a blade amongst the tools.

And you probably would have been hung out to dry if you had used your Leatherman, Alf.

It's almost like the govt (& the people) are saying....we'd rather have the crime than have anyone hurt. Sort of a grave distortion of the moral high ground, IMO.

(And from what I've read, it was truly the peoples' will to enact the laws against handguns there.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

So true 9MMare.

Shame that is going on in the UK. I was stationed over there in the late 60's early 70's. It was one of the safest places I knew of.
    As far as defence spray, there is a lot of talk going on about the best spray to use.... "Wasp-spray"(yes insects), washing doesn't work(go directly to ER), stream shoots 4 times longer/fuller/stronger/etc. It's not against the law to carry.
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

You most definetly open yourself up to legal ramifications if you use any type of spray other then the same type of pepper spray the police use. Unless I was being pounced on in my garage and the guy was going to hurt or kill me and bug spray was the only thing within reach would be the only time I'd use a spray other then pepper spray.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    You most definetly open yourself up to legal ramifications if you use any type of spray other then the same type of pepper spray the police use. Unless I was being pounced on in my garage and the guy was going to hurt or kill me and bug spray was the only thing within reach would be the only time I'd use a spray other then pepper spray.
    I guess you could try to say you're allergic and like to be prepared. :) But I wouldn't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    Shame that is going on in the UK. I was stationed over there in the late 60's early 70's. It was one of the safest places I knew of.
    As far as defence spray, there is a lot of talk going on about the best spray to use.... "Wasp-spray"(yes insects), washing doesn't work(go directly to ER), stream shoots 4 times longer/fuller/stronger/etc. It's not against the law to carry.
    I've read that before Monk. I have never seen it in small cans tho...the ones I have (for wasps ) are quite large.

However I do work out in my garage (rural area) frequently and have it handy on a shelf...I think I will put that on my 'grab as necessary' agenda! Thanks.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links