Military Base Question

This is a discussion on Military Base Question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Almost went to a base with a relative today but opted out, I don't know the regulations so here is the question: What are the ...

Thread: Military Base Question

Military Base Question

Almost went to a base with a relative today but opted out, I don't know the regulations so here is the question:

What are the regs for going to a military base as a civilian visitor? can you leave/lock it in car, do you declare and they check it in and secure it then you pick it up, leave at home?

Just curious, what about for military personnel on base?

2. Remove Ads

tag
    Depends on what your definition of "it" is.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

firearm(s) Mr. Clinton!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    You may not carry it on base at all. Leave it at home. Some bases have armory provisions for personal weapons, but that is for active military.

Also, as a civilian, you're more likely to be subject to a "random" vehicle inspection...so I wouldn't even think of trying to just lock it in the trunk or anything.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

tag
    I work on a military base in Florida and it is posted no firearms. They have random searches and if they find a gun they will destroy it. If you work there you could lose your job. As far as being a visitor you could lose your gun and I'm not sure but I think it is a federal offense.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

Here's what I know after 22 years in the USAF. Coming onto base with a firearm for the most part is not allowed especially if just visiting. I lived on base here at Peterson AFB for 4 years and I was able to transport my weapons from home directly out the gate and visa versa with no side trips. We also had a shooting range on base and you were allowed to go directly to the range if coming from housing or off base and back out at the end of your session. If you're a permit holder or LOE you are to identify yourself to SP and let them know you need to go to the armory to drop off your weapon while you do your business on base. This process can take 30 - 60 minutes before you can continue on to the BX or a friends house and you'll have to do it all over again when you leave. All in all, it's just easier to plan your trip to base and leave your weapon home. That's what I do here. If I need to go to base then its a round trip deal with no other stops before I can get back home to re-arm. Also, Peterson has no recipricosity with the state so federal laws apply.

As for rule on Army posts, I know Fort Carson has no firearms signs posted at the gate. However, what's little known to people is that Fort Carson actually has recipricosity with the laws of the state with makes it technically legal to CCW on Fort Carson. My deputy friends tell me I can legally do it but is it worth it if I get caught and lose 4 -5 hours of my time while they MP's figure out I broke no laws. When it comes to CCW on any base, just leave it at home until maybe one day they'll change the laws. Don't hold your breath on that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    You may not carry it on base at all. Leave it at home. Some bases have armory provisions for personal weapons, but that is for active military.

Also, as a civilian, you're more likely to be subject to a "random" vehicle inspection...so I wouldn't even think of trying to just lock it in the trunk or anything.
    I work on bases all over the country! This is good advice...Just don't do it!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    also-some posts/bases occasionally have K9 units as bomb sniffers--you won't hide your weapon from them...........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davies View Post
    also-some posts/bases occasionally have K9 units as bomb sniffers--you won't hide your weapon from them...........
    just a little heads up, but those bomb sniffing dogs stand next to there handler all day with his side arm on and don't Alert to that so there really not going to Alert to yours unless you recently fired your firearm. I'm allowed to store my firearms at my house on base and I've driven past the dog several times after shooting at the range and they have never alerted to my vehicle. Always unload your gun(s) and follow any directions SF's gives you. Also check with the armory and check your bases rules.

Stay safe, Jack

Yeah go with the advice of those who say not to bring it. The rules are somewhat different if you're active duty and stationed there (basically, you can bring it to your base house or the armory). A civilian visitor shouldn't even try though.

Retired military with 24 years active duty. Still have friends all over the country on active duty. Some lve in base housing. When traveling around and visiting them I call ahead and talk to security. Security gives me instructions on how they want to deal with armed visitors. I follow their instructions. Never had a problem.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I was a USAF Security Policeman in the 70's,before 9/11,when entering a military installation you are more than likely going to be searched,any attempt to enter the base with an undeclared firearm will get you arrested,guard shacks are inside the fenceline for a reason,by the time you reach the guard shack you are already on federal property,so the excuse I never entered the Installation won't hold water
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When I served, unless you had a letter/permit to keep the firearm with you or you were an MP, once on post it went straight to the armory. For a civilian, on the other hand, you're not allowed to bring a firearm onto federal property. Obviously, this is not a park. When I served, it was a federal felony to bring a weapon on base without explicit/written approval. It goes without saying that the rules are set by the base commander so they may differ, but the rules were the same at all my posts.

Links