Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; speakin of which, shouldnt these thugs know not to try to rob someone driving a truck? If I had to rob someone, I'd wait for ...

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    speakin of which, shouldnt these thugs know not to try to rob someone driving a truck? If I had to rob someone, I'd wait for a hybrid.

2. Remove Ads

I commend your situational awareness. As I was reading your post, kinda reenacting the scenario in my head; that was good SA. You didn't turn your back, you looked for his hands, your presentation was automatic... Good job.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyw328 View Post
    Bruce -

I was reading a previous thread you posted (question for thugs...), and I can't help but quote you here:

"yeah, not much backbone when an apparent 'sheep' turns out to be a 'wolf'"

How true that turned out to be. Glad to see that you were prepared, and came out with your life and possessions. Stay safe!
    Prophetic.

Glad you're still with us my friend.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Thank you for sharing your incident. will try to absorb as much knowledge from your situation as i can. Keep on Keeping on.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Bruce, im glad your ok.....use the anger. It really helps
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Glad you're OK Bruce! Thanks for sharing your story.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    You've met evil. It's a wierd and freaky thing. It's not like in the movies. It makes your skin crawl and it burns a place in your mind.

It's why we carry . I hope you sleep better tonight.
    And until you meet evil face to face, and deal with it, its hard to comprehend.
    It comes in all shapes, ages, gender.
    Trust me I know, 25+ years LEO and its hard sometime to go to sleep at night.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Bruce, I am glad you are OK. You just lived my worst nightmare.

I had my wife read your post. She said that is why she never goes to those type of car washes and there is a reason why women do not go to certain places.

I personally have been to these type of car washes many of times and every time I spend as much time looking around as I do looking at the car.

I can say that if this were to happen to me the last people I would tell is people at work. If I told them this story they would loose fact that my life was in danger and totally focus on that I was carrying a gun. I hope your work is different. I hope it does not come back and bite you in the long run.

You ought to take the time to put your experience into perspective.....Opportunity.Ability.Intent......I would suggest you go tothe "No Nonsense Self Defense" web site and go through the steps from the "Interview" where you were asked for assistance to the actual threat stage and and get a better undstanding of what just happened.....it's iportant to recognize better the levels of risk especially now that the smoke has cleared.

What's your opinion of carrying C&L now......?
    Last edited by xXxplosive; February 15th, 2010 at 01:16 PM.

Bruce, thanks for sharing the experience. Your first post was the most dramatic and mesmerizing bit of writing I have seen on this forum. You really made the experience palpable for me.

Good lessons there. Well played out. Glad you survived!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I was going to write up about the stages you might go through from beating yourself up for what happened and focusing on your mistakes to finally learning and moving on, but here's a link:

5 Stages of Recovery for Post Traumatic Stress... | Gather

Just recognize and realize you might go through them. Denial can take years without help and the fear will be there until you overcome it.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    wow and congratulations on a situation well handled...it could be critiqued upside down an sideways a million different ways but in the end what counts is that you responded effectively and are here to tell your tale....

i hope for your sake and that of your familys you can get it all behind you and chalk it up to one of lifes most valuable experiences...you should be very proud of how you handled yourself....

as far as reading the situation and collecting information it is something how the adrenaline takes over and the mind can take off on its own...i was fortunate enough to participate in an armed citizen response excersize a short time ago...it involved video scenarios with a camera that recorded laser shots on target and a monitor who rated response and interviewed you after each scenario....what i found the most interesting was how fast a situation could develop and when it did how your body and mind reacted to it...i cant imagine the feeling when its real as i had my heart race and experinced some adrenaline with video scenarios...

you did great....glad to be able to read about it and even more glad youre able to be the one to relate it to us...

Bruce, you did great. You should be proud of how you handled the situation. I hope they catch those creeps.

Wow, glad you made it out ok.

The shaking hands and vomiting are normal responses after a big adrenaline dump. Thing about a adrenaline dump is that a few things happen as you know - fight or flight response, tunnel vision, and a few other strange things that don't happen normally. After just a few minutes you'll get the "shakes" that takes quite some time to wear off.

The fact that you were paying attention after the guy got out of his truck (even before) most likely saved your life. Had he switched on you right up close and you were not in yellow or red, imagine how much worse it could've been.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post

my thoughts now focus not on myself but on others......i keep thinking that if it was someone ELSE washing their truck who did not have a concealed weapon how that would have ended for them....., and what those three thugs would have done to the innocent person......

the ONE thing i think i will never forget is not WHAT that guy said, but HOW he said it......the very menacing tone he used to speak "I think youre lying to me, i hate when people lie to me, and i think youre going to give me what i want"....
    Look at it this way, you may have saved someone from a similar fate without even knowing about it. Perhaps these fellas will scratch car wash robberies off of their dance card.

Heh heh, you almost gave him what he needed. Anyone else hear that Stones tune playing?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    What apparently made the difference was what Bruce said and the business end of a glock.
    Was just thinking, he probably could have said BOO with a big smile on his face like he walked in on a surprise party and they probably would have taken off even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Dont worry 'bout pukin, I wouldve puked and likely much more had I been in your shoes. Good to see you came out on top.
    It's not unusual for the innocent party to puke after a self defense shooting, at the thought of having to take a human life.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Links