Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! - Page 11

Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would check the Laundromat. He had to go wash his manties....

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    I would check the Laundromat. He had to go wash his manties.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Bruce:

About the only other think I can think of is this: beware the "screaming" in your voice. A truly experienced criminal is going to be able to gauge the extreme lack of motor control that may be indicated by gross inability to control your voice.

What I mean is this. Consider how deeply creepy, vile and evil the attacker's voice sounded when he quietly spoke his intentions to you. Stopped you cold, yeah? Had he spoke it just a bit louder and more forcefully, you might well have been frozen solid, like a rabbit in the headlights.

The point is, the voice can be a tremendous tool in such a situation. But it can also give away your ability to control yourself, and hence the likelihood of your being able to thwart an attack that proceeds irrespective of your just having drawn a gun.

One nice benefit of focused force-on-force "stress-induced" training can be the improved ability to control your voice in such times. Better physical control, better breathing, better voice modulation ... can equal better control over the situation, as you apply your best, concise, most "evil" voice in return, telling him exactly what's going to happen.

"STOP!!! DROP YOUR WEAPON ... or be eliminated. NOW!! DROP IT NOW!!" And if he doesn't, you need to realize he probably won't, and that his two supporting thugs are likely to get in gear to help him in the attack. Remember that a knife and deadly intention is within yards of you at this moment. No screwing around will help you. If he doesn't immediately react, then you put him down.

Again, you did fine. This time, this particular criminal wasn't as hard-core as he thought he was. He didn't detect the "screaming" in your voice that might have indicated inability to control your actions well enough to matter. Still, you drew the weapon, targeted your sights, made it clear what was about to occur. He left. Which is the best possible solution. Kudos.
    CCW, very interesting perspective....thank you!!

VIP Member
    Bruce, how did you sleep last night? Any better?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by reodds View Post
    Bruce, first thanks goodness that you are here and able to talk about your story.

I am a just registered member of DC, and want to say thank you. I was just reading this news on our forum in New York (www.LongIslandFirearms.com), posted by one of our members and thought you'd like to know that your story hit home for us as well.

Unfortunately, this type of crime seems universal, and it it the duty of those of us who have the privilege of a concealed carry permit to bring it to everyone.

Perhaps if we start to speak as one people who share the same beliefs, (the 2nd Amendment Right to Bear and Carry Arms) it will reach the ears of those in power, and they will finally take use seriously. The crime continues to rise, the police are not able to be everywhere, and our lives are literally in jeopardy. Perhaps if law abiding citizens are universally allowed to carry guns, the "bad guys" will think twice before attempting an assault.

Once again, thanks for sharing your story, and for your family's sake, thank God that you did the right thing.

Roger
    thank you Roger for the kind words......that is one thing that has always bothered me is that the "gun" has been demon-ized in the mainstream media....

its not the GUN.....its the person BEHIND IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    What apparently made the difference was what Bruce said and the business end of a glock.

i whole-heatedly agree bubba......if i had just been standing there with my empty hands saying GTF AWAY FROM ME facing 3-on-1 armed thugs........oh man, that puts fear in my mind just thinking about it

and to edit:

thanks again for the support everyone.......

I called the EAP today and im just going to talk to a counselor....

and to the above poster who was concerned about my employer being "anti".........my employer is a "gun free zone", and that is the ONLY time i will ever be without a gun......several people at work actually have CCW permits, including some of our mangers :)

Glad to hear you were able to sucessfully defend your life. Sounds like you did a good job.

Stay safe.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by andyw328 View Post
    Bruce -

I was reading a previous thread you posted (question for thugs...), and I can't help but quote you here:

"yeah, not much backbone when an apparent 'sheep' turns out to be a 'wolf'"

How true that turned out to be. Glad to see that you were prepared, and came out with your life and possessions. Stay safe!
    LOL....oh yeah, my "THUG" thread....isnt life weird???? and you know, i said on that thread (i think) about watching all these videos online involving robberies and shootings......and i sat here thinking "oh man, if that happened to me i would be Mr. Cool-Hand-Luke"....

boy DID I GET AN EYE OPENER

Quote Originally Posted by Soular View Post
    Wow, I can't believe that the thug was scared away by your measley 9mm. Didn't he understand the the penetration and expasion is sub-standard? Sorry, too soon?

Seriously though, thanks so much for sharing. It was a story just like this that motivated my to 100% carry over a year ago. Another account proving that having a gun, ANY GUN, that you are proficient with can make all of the difference in the world.

Will add your mental state to my prayer list.

-Soular
    thank you soular

Quote Originally Posted by louie19 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear that you successfully defended yourself with your firearm!

I'm glad you're going to carry always instead of just sometimes. I think you just proved why that is a good thing to do. Nice choice in matching Glock 19s, BTW. You might also want to carry at least one extra magazine too.

One question: you said you saw the big dot on your Glock. Were you talking about an XS Big Dot or the standard Glock sight?
    Hi,

i have standard Glock sights......on previous Glocks i have had night sights, but honestly i now prefer the STOCK sights to the night sigts...

my eyes pick up so much quicker with the white dot/bucket configuration....

and Glock has improved the front site now, its not a "crimped" sight but a screw-on type sight that seems more duarble

That would be me

Good Sit Awareness & Threat Response

Good calling EAP as well

You're in my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    and to edit:

thanks again for the support everyone.......

I called the EAP today and im just going to talk to a counselor....

and to the above poster who was concerned about my employer being "anti".........my employer is a "gun free zone", and that is the ONLY time i will ever be without a gun......several people at work actually have CCW permits, including some of our mangers :)

Bruce, "Thank You" for sharing this with us all on DC. It's tragic you had this experience, but the one good thing you can take from this is the many, many people that you have helped, and maybe even a life or 2 down road that may be saved from lessons learned from your story.

You did NOTHING wrong, you did NOT deserve this, you're the good guy in all this, please be easy on yourself.

LASTLY:

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post

i don't even remember pulling my gun out.......the next thing i notice is the big white dot on the front of the Glock.......and the crazy thing is i thought "where did my gun come from".....

I can tell you exactly where it came from & how it got there .... training, instinct, muscle memory. That's exactly why we train / practice so that when called upon, instinct / muscle memory takes over & operates the tactical mechanics on auto pilot as much as possible, allowing your mental & sensory capacities to stay focused on the threat, & not on the process of getting your hands on your gun.

Without training & practice, one has to direct some (if not most) of their attention for a few seconds to the process of drawing & putting muzzle on target. If you have to look for or at your gun, feel & fumble around to find it for a "Barney Fife" type draw, then you're in trouble in more ways than one.

Put yourself in the bad guy's shoes for that 5 second window. Not only did you're gun instantly appear out of no where in front of your face, it appeared in front of his face the exact same way, without hesitation, & without your eyes moving from his. That, in & of itself, spoke volumes to the BG as to your abilities & intent, & added a ton of weight to your verbal commands.

I firmly believe that the skill level & body language used in the presentation of your weapon speaks volumes of what will, or won't likely happen next. A "Barney Fife" draw may get laughed at as the BG continues his threat, vs. a "Jack Bauer" draw (as you did) that will greatly aid in ending the threat.

Bruce, you done good ... I can only hope, God forbid, that if faced with a similar situation for any of us, that our reactions are as swift, instinctive and automatic as yours were. Keep up the practice, I know I will.

Thank You and take care,

Kim
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

There is no "handbook" for every scenario, but what you did was fine, it got you home, alive. Shaken, but alive. We could all hope that we do as good you did and come out unscathed.

I haven't had that "moment" and never wish it. I have had what I'd consider close calls during some pre-permit days when I was really stupid and didn't know I could get one. A few months before I got mine, some scruffy looking guy was fooling with my mail slot and turning the front door handle. The dog scared him and he ran around the neighbors house towards my back yard. I grabbed my pop gun and went looking out back. When he saw me and my "little friend" he scooted up the sidewalk in a real hurry.

I used to play music late at nights years ago in bars and had cash on me Saturday PM/Sunday AM when we got paid. There was no shortage of people who would want to relieve me of it so I packed the pop gun in my drum stick bag. I know, stupid and I've learned. Thank goodness I never had to use it.

The other was a friend of mine who eventually became a LEO in Florida who I insisted on taking my .25 pop-gun with him to Myrtle Beach many years ago. I got that "feeling" and he actually had to pull it out in a self-defense situation while returning to WV from the beach. When I get the ESP feelings, I really need to listen to them and so do others.

I hope you get through the trauma. I don't know how you believe, but prayer works for the situations that we encounter like this. Take it to the Supreme Commander and He will fix you up pronto!

Thanks for posting this story, we have all gained some valuable lessons.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Glad you're ok, other than the stress. That will pass with time.

It was very interesting to me how you noticed your sights. I hear from many folks, even trainers, who say in a "real" situation you will never notice your sights. That was clearly not the case in your situation.

Now that you've seen first hand how quickly things can happen, you may wish to get a smaller gun that can be carried more discretely, for situations where more discretion is beneficial.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Well I didn't read the whole thread though I am very happy that your ok. The more I read experiences like this written from the person who actually had the encounter it really helps to put things into perspective. Glad your ok and take care of yourself, glad to see another 24/7 carrier.

Luke

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Links