Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! - Page 12

Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard As for the barf part, sounds like a moment to be proud of and I'm not being silly or sarcastic. Anyone ...

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    As for the barf part, sounds like a moment to be proud of and I'm not being silly or sarcastic. Anyone with a conscience and a sense of decency would react that way after coming that close to a shoot out. Good for you that both your mind and body recoil at the very idea of what might have happened.
    +1 to that---Glad your are safe and at home. Don't be afraid to get a little counseling if you think you need it. There's no shame in asking for help.

There is no "handbook" for every scenario, but what you did was fine, it got you home, alive. Shaken, but alive. We could all hope that we do as good you did and come out unscathed.
    Absolutely.

The reason to publish something like this in a public discussion forum is to kick around the scenario, to hunt for any possible improvements, to consider alternatives, to consider what might have happened. But, in the end you survived it, made it home in one piece, and nobody got killed. A success and a blessing, so far as these things go. Whatever else you might be thinking, remember that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bruce I am glad that you are alright and getting better each day. Reading this thread has reminded me of the importance of shooting as much as you can at the range to familiarize yourself with your gun. Your actions showed that actaully having the gun in your hand was second nature. I think that can be contributed to the amount of time you spend practicing.
    Glad your here to share.
    -Rich

Bruce1b... glad you are ok! Sounds like you had SA and you were prepared! Great Job!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Great situation awareness. If I could piggy back on a comment you made and another hopyard made both similar thoughts. You thanked god, you listened to the spirit and it saved your life. Most of us don't listen to that little voice in your head. Interesting that hopyard pointed out that you listened enough to carry but you didn't listen to that same voice in your head that told you things were wrong when the truck pulled up. Glad your safe and alive

Bruce,
    So glad you are okay. Your father hit it right on the head, these are monsters that walk among us. You mentioned the voice of this BG. I can imagine you can perfectly hear the tone of his aggressive words over and over. You also mentioned the clear image of the Glock front sights. I was curious to ask you about how well you remember his face? Could you pick him out of a mugbook or give a detailed enough description for an artists rendition or was your focus on the weapon (as is the case in some other scenarios I've read about)?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Normal and to be expected, I'm sure.

But let me toss in a competing emotion for you: I submit that you could certainly also feel pleased in that:
    • You have not been 'paranoid' in your training and situational awareness, or rather, your paranoia has been properly matched with reality;
    • Your training and habit of concealed carry habit really did save your life - it proved to be justified (think of how a fellow might have groused about paying for car insurance... 'til after they paid out a huge settlement for a lawsuit or a new car);
    • You responded properly as you were trained - it's all well and good to shoot hoops during practice, but you were really in the game and you really scored here.

Sure, you're going to be second-guessing yourself and being upset at the way these guys messed with you (physically and with your head). Nobody here will criticize you for that! But along with barfing, the realization that you could have taken a life, and your fury, you also have every reason to be quietly pleased with yourself.

You know, in the pub afterward, lifting a pint and saying quietly and with a slight smile, "Yes, that went well, now, didn't it?"
    ^ +1

You did great. I would also like to comment on the fact that you were in control of your emotions enough to realize that once he turned his back on you he was no longer an imminent threat.

We have all seen situations where the good guy was so hyped up he continued shooting after the BG was fleeing or down on the ground. The video posted here a month or two ago of the drug store robbery where the druggist came back into the store and emptied his gun in to bad guy that was down, comes to mind. As I recall he said in his statement to police he fired before he chased the other guy, not after he returned. The survaillance camera showed it was the other way around.

I hope if I get into this type of situation I am able to maintain exactly the controled response required, as you did. Great job of making him turn tail, (probably soiled his pants too) without getting yourself into a legal jam, or a three on one knife fight!

On that point, I wonder why one of two of the other guys didn't get out of the truck at the same time as the first. If their plan was to intimidate you into giving up your wallet or keys it would seem that all coming out would have been the more likely attack. Usually the bad guys are much bolder when they have numbers on their side. It's great that a Glock is such a great equalizer!

So glad you did all you did, and are safe my prayers are with you pal.

Excellent Idea, Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    edit:

well, so much for sleeping......i just drank some warm milk and i feel better (i know thats kind of wimpy, but my mom used to give that to me when i was upset :)

thank you all so very very much for your kind words of encouragement and thoughtfulness.......

i just realized, what someone just posted above about them parking at a 90 degree angle to me....so i would not get a look at the plate and so they could make a fast getaway....

now i am starting to feel anger!!!! the fear is kind of going away and now im going over and over this scenario in my head....im starting to feel angry that these people put me through this and have disrupted my life and thoughts....im getting angry that someone was going to possibly/probably kill me for my truck, or my money........i am angry that i am feeling violated

Thank God and Heaven above for Kentucky and its Concealed Carry laws.....i think i am going to write a letter to Rep. Damron, the man who drafted the CCW bill here in the state and staked his career on getting it passed..Thanking him for what he did for us in the state

i have a great family......my sisters and nephews are great people and making sure i am okay......

again, thank you all for your kind words and i hope that my experience helps you all out in becoming more aware of your surroundings, carrying your weapon always and being ready for the unexpected....

ill be talking again to you all soon......this really helps
    Glad you responded so well, Bruce.

Your idea to write to Rep Damron is outstanding. This will do several things:
    1. Reinforce the representative's support for pro-gun laws.
    2. Thank him for his persistence to pass that law.
    3. Give him ammunition to fight off the anti-gun crowd's "what ifs" with factual information about how guns save lives.
    4. Help him to convince other polititians who may be on the edge.

Maybe a separate letter from your wife and children expressing their appreciation to him as well - just to cement his good feelings about saving a constituent's life.

Stay well, stay mad (for a while) and make a list of things that you need to add to your written self defense plan. The one for at home and the one for away from home.

And again, congratulations on a superb performance.

Capt. Art

ps: you might even send copies to your local newspaper and television stations. Add in a few tips for others to stay safe in the community

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ya did good. Glad your okay. Thanks for posting\sharing with us.

Oh, if you hear anymore - like the police find them (unlikely) Please post again.
    For God, Family and Country!

Glad you survived! I hope they catch the BGs. Please keep us posted on the situation.
    Jamie

Update....

well, i talked to a Detective today......

come to find out the three thugs are suspected in two strong-arm robberies in the same area as i was assaulted......

in the first incident the victim did not see a liscense plate on the truck....so apparently these goons have removed their plate to avoid identification.....the victim received a broken nose, ruptured eardrum and dislocated shoulder after being beaten with a piece of wood....

the second incident the victim received a broken jaw and dislocated shoulder...he was beaten with a baseball bat......

in both cases they releived the person of their wallet and jewelry.......

i guess that the thug wanted to escalate things when he wanted to plunge a knife in me to "relieve me of my property".......

so the police are on high-alert in that area and have the description of the thugs and the vehicle...and i am on "stand by" with the other two victims for identification purpouses........which i will gladly be of service ......

these three are going to wind up killing someone if they are not caught......

i only pray that their next "victim" has some fire-power, as i did, and maybe put an end to their crime-spree once and for all.......

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    these three are going to wind up killing someone if they are not caught.

i only pray that their next "victim" has some fire-power, as i did, and maybe put an end to their crime-spree once and for all.......

If these idiots are smart, they are stealing their vehicles just prior to committing their crimes. If not, they are likely to get caught. If not stopped by someone like you who simply starts blasting once the knife has come out, then tracked down by police who have fair descriptions of the vehicle they were driving.

At least you're now got the corroboration you were looking for. These folks were not merely showing the knife for effect. These folks are damaging people, innocents just going about their lives. You could have been killed ... and you knew it at the time.

There might well be some criminals who don't want to hurt anyone, but these idiots seem to have pain and suffering as part of what motivates them. I believe you're right. They will likely end up killing, if not stopped permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If these idiots are smart, they are stealing their vehicles just prior to committing their crimes. If not, they are likely to get caught. If not stopped by someone like you who simply starts blasting once the knife has come out, then tracked down by police who have fair descriptions of the vehicle they were driving.
    well, as the Detective said....most of these goons are more violent than smart.....

this was their third reported assault.....the word is now out, and if they keep on going, keep escalating things someone is going to get killed....

Bruce:

How are you doing, now that a couple days have gone by? Is it getting easier?

Sponsored Links