Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bruce21b Update.... well, i talked to a Detective today...... come to find out the three thugs are suspected in two strong-arm robberies ...

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

More corroboration of your inner voice

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    Update....

well, i talked to a Detective today......

come to find out the three thugs are suspected in two strong-arm robberies in the same area as i was assaulted......

in the first incident the victim did not see a liscense plate on the truck....so apparently these goons have removed their plate to avoid identification.....the victim received a broken nose, ruptured eardrum and dislocated shoulder after being beaten with a piece of wood....

the second incident the victim received a broken jaw and dislocated shoulder...he was beaten with a baseball bat......

in both cases they releived the person of their wallet and jewelry.......

i guess that the thug wanted to escalate things when he wanted to plunge a knife in me to "relieve me of my property".......

so the police are on high-alert in that area and have the description of the thugs and the vehicle...and i am on "stand by" with the other two victims for identification purpouses........which i will gladly be of service ......

these three are going to wind up killing someone if they are not caught......

i only pray that their next "victim" has some fire-power, as i did, and maybe put an end to their crime-spree once and for all.......
    Bruce:

I'll bet that you find more than three assaults in the neighborhood. This goes to show how well our subconcious mind works to protect us . It is on duty 24/7 and we ignore it at our peril.

From the sound of your writings, it appears you are on the mend.

Good for you.

Stay well,

Capt. Art

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Bruce:

How are you doing, now that a couple days have gone by? Is it getting easier?

Hi,

I am still very, very angry at what happened......and after finding out today what these three have done thus far, im now fearful that they are going to kill someone......and i PRAY TO GOD that does not happen because i know i will feel partly responsible for it.......

i just wonder now if i should have just opened-up on that son-of-a-***** and prevented him and his buddies from wrecking some other innocents' persons life.....

what if their next victim is killed??? and they have a family???? OMG i dont' think i can cope if that happens......

i am constantly "monday morning quarterbacking" myself now.....

i remember vividly the audible "click" of his folding knife being deployed......as soon as my gun came up i now believe i should have fired......but in a split second his back was to me and i then hesitated because of that.........

now that i have totally thought it through, i think of the legal gauntlet i would now be going through, even though i was justified......

im glad i did not have to fire.....but then again am going to have to live with it if these creeeps go on to kill somebody......i just dont know

i have a meeting with a counselor on Friday and will be going over all of this with him....DAMN these people who have forced this on to me

Not Responsible

Bruce:

You are no more responsible for the future heinous acts of these dirtbags because you did not kill one of them than a woman would be for not killing a rapist who accosted her in the mall.

How can anyone see into the future? All we can do is protect ourselves and out family and maybe extend that to some of our neighbors. Unless your middle name is Superman, you are limited to your immediate sphere of influence.

Second guessing yourself is normal and to be expected, just do not saddle yourself with the weight of the world.

You did really well. Don't forget that.

Capt. Art

... they are going to kill someone......and i PRAY TO GOD that does not happen because i know i will feel partly responsible for it.

DAMN these people who have forced this on to me

You did everything possible to thwart the attack. Once the immediate threat was over (by virtue of the felon leaving), you ceased your attack. That is exactly what you should have done. In fact, had you gunned down a retreating/fleeing felon, the laws in your state likely would have deemed YOU the felon for having done so. (I'm unfamiliar with your state's statutes in this regard, but it's a very good bet.)

You're not the world's protector. Quite the opposite, your family needs you to be around, to be there for them, to support them through life. You can only stop the ones who come at you. There are simply too many millions of such felons in the world for any one person to deal with. The one who came at you is the one you dealt with. The other two in the truck were likely his backup/support, if needed. And they probably have friends, in their felons' "union."

So, sleep well at night. You did all that you could to defend yourself.

Be angry, but don't let it consume you. Realize that you can redirect that anger into calm, focused preparation during your upcoming training, to ensure you're prepared to handle similar situations in the future. That's about all you can do.

Counseling can help clarify things. It's a good step to take, I think.

Be safe. Take care of yourself, buddy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Alternative outcome

Bruce:

Let's say you did fire on the dirtbag with the knife, how do you know that one of the other two in the truck would not have killed you?

How can you say that a perfect shot COM would have stopped the large knife wielding dirtbag? He could have kept coming and cut you to ribbons.

You were alone in the car wash against three clearly well practiced thieves. How could you have protected the world from them without being killed in the process?

i just wonder now if i should have just opened-up on that son-of-a-***** and prevented him and his buddies from wrecking some other innocents' persons life.....what if their next victim is killed??? and they have a family???? OMG i dont' think i can cope if that happens......
    If I was in your shoes, that's the question that would really be eating me up. Then again, if you had took him out, there would be all kinds of other issues to deal with.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

If you had shot the guy you could be in a whole new level of legal and mental worries. Sounds like you did as well as anyone could be expected to. If there people kill somebody else, that's not anything you can control.

Not having the instinct to immediately start killing people is generally a good thing. Criminals exploit that. I know a few people who've been startled and drew down on people who turned out to be good guys. If they had fired immediately it would've been a tragedy. The counselor ought to help -- you seem to be totally in the clear morally and legally.

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    Bruce:

You are no more responsible for the future heinous acts of these dirtbags because you did not kill one of them than a woman would be for not killing a rapist who accosted her in the mall.

How can anyone see into the future? All we can do is protect ourselves and out family and maybe extend that to some of our neighbors. Unless your middle name is Superman, you are limited to your immediate sphere of influence.

Second guessing yourself is normal and to be expected, just do not saddle yourself with the weight of the world.

You did really well. Don't forget that.

Capt. Art
    thank you Capt. my mind is like a "broken record" right now and i need to get off this negative thought-train

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    If you had shot the guy you could be in a whole new level of legal and mental worries. Sounds like you did as well as anyone could be expected to. If there people kill somebody else, that's not anything you can control.

Not having the instinct to immediately start killing people is generally a good thing. Criminals exploit that. I know a few people who've been startled and drew down on people who turned out to be good guys. If they had fired immediately it would've been a tragedy. The counselor ought to help -- you seem to be totally in the clear morally and legally.
    i agree.....ive got a lot of other stuff going on in my life right now and to be side-lined with legal-fees, court dates, grand juries...etc that would be more stress.......

i just have to get off this "broken-record" going off in my head constantly...

The best result for your family is to do exactly as you did.

Other adults have (or previously had) the same opportunity to get training, buy gear, get a license, and practice as you did. If someone else chooses to not exercise those rights, and they encounter these same thugs, whatever happens is not your responsibility.

While the world is better off when thugs such as these are removed from society, either through death or permanent incarceration (does that ever happen anymore? ), your family comes first.

Your family comes first.

Your family comes first.

Their lives are much simpler, and probably safer, since it turned out as it did.

Had you fired, he may have turned as you fired, resulting in a shot in the back. You may have been cleared eventually, but it might have cost you thousands.

Then there is the possible retribution from his friends/family.

We have turned into such a litigious society where a good man is threatened with total financial ruin just for defending himself. Okay, let the society that allowed that litigiousness deal with the aftermath.

Your family first: let society deal with the rest. That's the way they want it, that's the way they got it.

VIP Member

For Bruce, regarding "broken record in your head."

i just have to get off this "broken-record" going off in my head constantly...
    I realize you are probably reluctant to see a medical doctor (lots of men are), and maybe there are some reasons you can't share as to why you would not be able to take a minor tranquilizer. HOWEVER:

TO stop that broken record in your head consider talking to a doc about a short course on a "minor tranquilizer." You can do that and strill see the EAP guy as well. Those aren't mutually exclusive courses of action.

Other than that, keep doing what you are doing. Keep posting here. Keep talking to folks who will listen and not judge.

And stop being a harsh judge of yourself. You didn't doom anyone to being murdered by those thugs by having some restraint. You did the right thing. The threat was moving away, as others have said you would have been wrong to shoot him in the back.

What the BG and and his pals do is their responsibility only, and not yours. Your brief encounter with them doesn't make you responsible for the safety of your neighborhood. THAT, is on the police. They should be out diligently searching for security video, communicating with other neighboring precincts and departments, stepping up scrutiny of various areas. Searching for the truck. It is their job to catch them and prevent future crimes. It isn't on you.

You did everything right, nothing wrong.

Now have a good evening. Take your wife bowling or to a movie or something so you get your mind off this stuff.

Distinguished Member
    Don't beat yourself up. You duty is to protect yourself and your family. You can't worry about what they might do next, that is the job of the police. You did your job perfectly as you are still here, uninjured, to tell your story, the police will now do theirs, just help them as much as you can every step of the way.

And we all hope the police can find these criminals before they hurt someone else or worse.

Distinguished Member
    Well it's been several days, and I hope you are coping as well as you can with this.

Is it too early for some humor????

In place of the World famous DC carry "Wally World Walk" we could start a new tradition

The---- "Brown Boxer Boogie" And you could be the 1st official member.

Don't be hard on yourself, you did the best thing you could have. No other outcome would have been any better for you with the hand that was dealt to you.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Plenty of excellent suggestions here.

You did very well. Yeah, perhaps the thug shoulda woulda coulda been gunned down, but this isn't a perfect world, and to hold myself to perfectionist standards is setting myself up for failure. I try to do the best I can at that moment in time, that's all I can do. You had milliseconds to choose to shoot, and the decision you made allowed you to live.

It's my opinion that God has things for us to do and plans for us now, and while we bring the knowledge forward, the situation is in the past. God gives me a present, and when my head is stuck in the past or the future, I'm missing out on that present, drifting away from serenity and into fear & anger. Easier said than done, I know. Once again, it ain't perfection; as soon as I realize my head's in the past, I do my best to bring it back to the present and positive thoughts.

You did pretty damn good, chief! You were part of the solution instead of part of the problem. That's aces. If I am ever in an encounter I hope to do as well as you.

Folks, it finally happened

Bruce,

Great job! I hope I can be as alert and responsive should the need arise. Take care of yourself. I benefited from reading all the posts regarding your situation. Thanks for sharing. Sam

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Links