Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bruce, No reason to beat yourself up over a situation, by all accounts, you performed perfectly in. The thugs made a choice to commit a ...

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Bruce,

No reason to beat yourself up over a situation, by all accounts, you performed perfectly in. The thugs made a choice to commit a crime and attempt robbery/assault. You made a choice to defend yourself. The thugs may make the same choice against another person in the future, and that person will have made a choice to defend themselves or not. Those decisions are unrelated to you.

The thing that intrigues me most about this event is about how your sidearm seemed to automatically be in your hand. If I may ask, have you had any formal training or what type of training at all of you done in drawing and presenting your weapon?

A suggestion to help clear your head: if you have any vacation time built up perhaps a few days off out of town will help. Just a change of scenery sometimes helps "reset" the mind.

Lastly... by now hundreds - if not thousands - of people have read your post in this forum and elsewhere. Many have indicated they have re-considered their previous decision to only sometimes carry and will now carry more often or even always carry. No doubt at some point in the future this will save a life, perhaps more than one, due to a self-defense weapon being available where previously it may not have. The event which occurred in your life as horrible as it was, your response to it, and your subsequent post will save someone's life someday.

2. Remove Ads

Good for you. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Needing it, having it, and pulling it can really shake you to the core...but like you said...you didnt know where your gun came from it was just there. Thats called good muscle memory and instinct kicking in. So very glad you are safe...that idiot brought a knife to a gun fight. Way to go civilian sheepdog.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Wow this was a close one, this stories always get my heart pumping.

I'm glad everything worked out good and your safe. I looks like your training and subconscious did well and you prevented the crime and stopped the threat. Tip of the cap to you!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I was involved in a traumatic experience myself after about 3 months of constant replay in my head and bad sleep I was ready for some counseling but I decided to try something else first I wrote down my experience on paper and it never bothered me since, cant hurt to give that a try good luck.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MCOperator View Post
    I was involved in a traumatic experience myself after about 3 months of constant replay in my head and bad sleep I was ready for some counseling but I decided to try something else first I wrote down my experience on paper and it never bothered me since, cant hurt to give that a try good luck.
    Tom
    Good idea MC...but maybe that's what he's done here! I sure hope it gives him some peace of mind.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

sgb
    Bruce21b, congrats on surviving your encounter with those two legged predators.

From your posts I'd surmise this is your first up front and personal experiance with facing the Reaper, folks just don't know how awful it can be until they have to experiance it for themselves.

Jeff Cooper once said "One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are
    not capable of using it skillfully."

You'll find that if you seek out and take some professional concealed carry training classes that as your confidence level in your physical shooting abilities increases so will your mental ability to deal with such potentiality violent encounters should you face such again.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I think what he yelled was just fine, and definitly got the message accross. But I think that what ccw9mm was refering to was more the tone, cadence and stress level in the voice. A BG who is experienced at terrorizing people will be able to gauge how scared you are or your readiness to actually respond based on not what you say, but how you say it.
    Yes, that's basically it. What was said sounds fine. Can't know how it was said, nor the immediate reactions of the BG to it. It's the resolve the matters, I think. Get that across, and you've nearly turned the tide. Can't know from here, not having been there.

Thanks for the clarification, BigStick.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Stand Tall......Bruce.
    Today's a new day, your CCW did it's job for you......and they'll be caught.

"When Seconds Count................"
    Last edited by xXxplosive; February 17th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Stand Tall......Bruce.
    Today's a new day, your CCW did it's job for you......and they'll be caught.

"When Seconds Count................"
    ......Bruce's Glock was just a split second away " And it saved his life.

I would also like to agree with Grady. Family first, my friend. They still have you to keep them safe. And you've proven to yourself that you can keep yours safe.

thAts crazy man, glad your ok
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Realize this: YOU DID NOTHING WRONG. You were highly responsible; you waited until any reasonable person would have called it "armed robbery"; and you only did as much as was required to terminate the situation. Kudos!!

You survived it. You thwarted the attack. You're alive. Nobody died. And you went home that night. Success, by any standard.
    Those statements can not be emphasized enough. It is easy for all of us to arm chair quarter back. Hind sight is always 20/20. Maybe you should have left sooner maybe you should have ........, Forget all the maybe, shoulda, coulda you did what you did and what you did was absolutely perfect. You where unhurt the bad guy was not hurt you don't needlessly have blood on your hands. You did exactly what was needed when it was needed. Not any more not any less.

When you win the super bowl you get your ring and celebrate. Later you can come back and review the game when the rush has worn off and you can be objective. For now have a drink go out to dinner do something special with your family enjoy the life you successfully defended.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    [*]If you do not have a competent attorney lined up who is in your corner to assist in situations like this, get one. Start asking around, finding competent ones in the area of defending the self-defense case, affirmative-defense cases, with a successful track record.
    That there is the most important piece of advice on the whole thread. You already know the importance of carrying, the importance of training. A good lawyer is just as important. You lucked out this time you did not need one. Don't wait until you do. Find the very best lawyer you can and retain them. Do it now while you do not have the threat and pressure of losing your life or freedom and everything you have ever worked for on the line.

Again congratulations you did well enjoy your victory
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I think what he yelled was just fine, and definitly got the message accross. But I think that what ccw9mm was refering to was more the tone, cadence and stress level in the voice. A BG who is experienced at terrorizing people will be able to gauge how scared you are or your readiness to actually respond based on not what you say, but how you say it. Just as Bruce was able to hear the evil in the BG's voice, they can hear fear and panic, or resolve and intensity.

In this case it didn't matter, but I think ccw9mm was just trying to put it out there that for some people in some sittuations, what your voice sounds like might make the difference between the BG running away or having to shoot him if he doesn't believe you or thinks your adrenaline will inhibit your fine motor skills.
    I see where ccw9mm is coming from, and yes the voice can give away a reluctance to act, however I think the choice of words was proper, and showed the BG that Bruce was not a wimp.

As far as giving the appearance of being ready to act, I am sure the sight of the glock in Bruce's hand so quickly left no doubt in the BG's mind that it was time to get out of there.

Since we're discussing what was said, don't you just wish Bruce had used one of these classics:

"Idiot, brought a knife to a gun fight!"

OR

"Do you feel lucky? Well do you punk?"

I am sure there are lots of others that would have been great.
    I don't mean to make light of the situation, it was real, and it was dangerous, I am just in a funny mood today.

OD*
    Stop beating yourself up if you can Bruce, you did what you had to do and you did it well.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    Hi,

I am still very, very angry at what happened......and after finding out today what these three have done thus far, im now fearful that they are going to kill someone......and i PRAY TO GOD that does not happen because i know i will feel partly responsible for it.......

i just wonder now if i should have just opened-up on that son-of-a-***** and prevented him and his buddies from wrecking some other innocents' persons life.....

what if their next victim is killed??? and they have a family???? OMG i dont' think i can cope if that happens......

i am constantly "monday morning quarterbacking" myself now.....

i remember vividly the audible "click" of his folding knife being deployed......as soon as my gun came up i now believe i should have fired......but in a split second his back was to me and i then hesitated because of that.........

now that i have totally thought it through, i think of the legal gauntlet i would now be going through, even though i was justified......

im glad i did not have to fire.....but then again am going to have to live with it if these creeeps go on to kill somebody......i just dont know

i have a meeting with a counselor on Friday and will be going over all of this with him....DAMN these people who have forced this on to me
    Bruce,

Only you can determine that you did the right thing by not shooting the BG and you cannot beat yourself up over what these dirtbags might do in the future. They are responsible for their actions, not you.
    Proud NRA member

Links