Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! - Page 15

Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bruce21b im glad i did not have to fire.....but then again am going to have to live with it if these creeeps ...

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    im glad i did not have to fire.....but then again am going to have to live with it if these creeeps go on to kill somebody......i just dont know
    Bruce,

Nobody is responsible for the actions of these goblins except themselves. You did your job---you went home, safe, to your family. You did everything right.

You might have been justified in shooting, but it might have taken time out of your life and money out of your life savings to get to that conclusion. It might have been a great deal more stress on you and your family to have gone through that.

And, worse yet, you said how quickly the guy turned to run; shooting him in the back without a direct threat to your life the moment you pulled the trigger might well have meant you would be the one ending up in jail.

Never mind the fact that you weren't going to get all three (four?) of them. So, maybe you could have shot one of the scumbags. The others were going to drive off anyway. Then what? They look you up for revenge. They go on committing crimes anyway and another innocent shows up in their cross-hairs even if you did open fire on the guy with the knife.

You are not the chlorine in the gene pool. You were not single-handedly going to end all their lives of crime.

Please keep just these two things in mind. (1) You went home safe. (2) These scumbags did not make you into a killer.

That's a successful day, no matter how you look at it. Now it's up to the police to do their jobs and track these guys down. Don't hold it on yourself if they can't do that, because it is not and never was your job to do it for them.

Well done, Bruce.

“What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Hi all,

thanks again for all the kind words......

another thing i have thought of now is the importance of a high-capacity firearm....

I was carrying 16 rounds in the gun and a spare 15 round mag on my side....

I have heard the saying "have a gun, any gun"....but i believe if i would have had a 5-shot .38 and was forced to engage the creeps, i could have been in serious dire straits.........the goon with the knife was BIG, and would have probably emptied a .38 into him..........then his two buddies would probably have jumped me with whatever weapon they had.........and i would be stuck with an empty gun.......

I know people that carry .38 specials with no spare ammo......and don't want to discount what they carry.......but i am a true advocate now for carrying a high-capacity firearm.......

you just never know what you are going to run into!!!!

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    Hi all,

thanks again for all the kind words......

another thing i have thought of now is the importance of a high-capacity firearm....

I was carrying 16 rounds in the gun and a spare 15 round mag on my side....

I have heard the saying "have a gun, any gun"....but i believe if i would have had a 5-shot .38 and was forced to engage the creeps, i could have been in serious dire straits.........the goon with the knife was BIG, and would have probably emptied a .38 into him..........then his two buddies would probably have jumped me with whatever weapon they had.........and i would be stuck with an empty gun.......

I know people that carry .38 specials with no spare ammo......and don't want to discount what they carry.......but i am a true advocate now for carrying a high-capacity firearm.......

you just never know what you are going to run into!!!!
    Hey Bruce:

You are correct about that. It is one of the reasons I also chose Glock 9mm pistols over larger caliber pistols or revolvers. You need to be able to control where you shoot and make additional shots quickly.

It is nice to find that your selection of a Glock still feels like a correct decision after you have had an actual experience and the time to reflect on other choices.

I also prefer to prepare for the worst and hope for the best,

Capt. Art

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I prefer to carry my Taurus PT145 - 10 + 1 or .45 ammo seems pretty good to me - but - sometimes depending on the way I'm dressed I have to swap to my .38 S&W 642 with 5 rounds of .38 cal. for pocket carry. When I do that I try to carry an extra 5 rounds in my pocket.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Nothing new to add here.

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad you got out of there without getting killed or having to kill anyone yourself.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Well one can never have enough ammo but I have a feeling that most thugs would run if you started shooting even with a 5 shot .38 as they aren't going to know what you are shooting or if you've got more.

Of course if you're good enough the first shot can be right to the head. ;)

I on the other hand prefer to have 16 rounds of .40 to fly screaming into the target. :D

Sounds like you did everything right, you prepared to defend yourself by drawing, but did not shoot out of nerves with the man running away.
    I can see why you would feel the way you do. Anyone would.

Did you call cops?

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Did you call cops?
    Yes. See post #5.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Bruce, I remember when you first came on here. I could tell by your posts that you are a decent and classy guy. I'm sorry this had to happen to you and I'm glad you came out of it alive and uninjured.

You know, your situation is the reason why I always go to the store or carwash with my wife instead of letting her go alone. There have been a few carwash/grocery store parking lot incidents out here in the KC area, and a few of them have happened in broad daylight with people around.

I'm the kind of person who likes to go shopping or wash my car during the off-peak hours to avoid large crowds and waiting lines. My wife came from Montana, and didn't understand why I requested that she and my son load groceries in the car or wash it while I basically stand guard with my head on a swivel. After a few years of living here and watching the violence and murder committed in this city every single day, she now understands. I've also shown her some videos for her to see how quickly a situation can happen and deteriorate. I once told her "Hey baby, you're getting personal security just like a movie star!!" She got a good laugh out of that.

I would imagine in your case, you may be hesitant to wash your car or run other errands for awhile without feeling like you can't look down for a split second. Perhaps, for at least awhile, you can have your wife, a friend, or a relative, go with you and help you do these things while you pretty much play the role of "security" until you get as close as you can get back to normal.

VIP Member
    Bruce, as we all know carrying a weapon on your body is best, and that is what you were doing. Given the time, place, position, layout of the carwash etc, what would you have been able to do, if anything, had your G19 been inside your truck, say in the console?

This seems to be a case that actually having the gun on you was the only workable solution at the time. IOW a gun in the truck, no matter how close it was, may have been fairly useless to you.

Your thoughts?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    bruce...

you are responsible for your own safety and the safety of those close to you...you were given an opportunity to protect yourself and performed remarkably well under pressure...

you have no control over what the thugs were or are capable of or who they could have or can harm...it is not your responsibility to remove criminals from the street...if it were that easy the police would have an effortless job...you saved yourself from great injury and possibly worse...without having to carry the burden of taking a life....

well done...one who hasnt experienced what you have cant begn to imagine the conflict and questions in your head right now...if anything shines through though...its that youre still here...your family still has you whole...and one less crime was commited with one less person getting injured or killed because of your actions to protect yourself...including training that you had done that same day...

youve been given a second chance...by yourself...stop....take a breath...thank yourself....get yourself the help you need to get better...and be glad you have the opportunity to do so...and give the family another hug...and another...

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Well, I don't want to repeat what everyone else said, but overall: A++. You were physically unharmed, and you aren't facing a huge legal fiasco. Part of me wishes you took him out so society is without another scumbag, BUT that is not your concern or duty. Your duty was to protect yourself and your vehicle, which you did AMAZINGLY.

Pat yourself on the back, learn from any tiny mistakes you think you made, and be proud of yourself.

A little quote from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones:
    I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass
    You sir were tested, and you passed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Well, I don't want to repeat what everyone else said, but overall: A++. You were physically unharmed, and you aren't facing a huge legal fiasco.

Given today's realities, that is a huge consideration in any action to actually engage in deadly force. It can destroy a family, financially.

Of course, in a situation so blatantly clear as this scenario, you simply do what you need to do in order to survive it and worry about the small stuff later.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good on you, Bruce. Glad to see you did not burn up all of your ammo at the range.
    What you said did the job quite well. One thing I have learned after bieng around hundreds and hundreds of criminals and thugs is that they value their own hide above anything else.

Bruce,

Great situational awareness!!! Thank you for sharing your experience so we can all learn and improve and keep our Country safer from the goons wanting to do harm to us, our family, and our property.

My friend - you have no need for regrets -
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links