Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good job. Here in the Kansas City area it seems like car washes are magnets for robberies. There has been at least 3 incidents in ...

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Good job. Here in the Kansas City area it seems like car washes are magnets for robberies. There has been at least 3 incidents in the last month like this. One of them resulted in two bad guys getting shot.

2 Shot At KCK Car Wash - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City

2. Remove Ads

Glad you are OK! Sounds like you were aware and protected yourself. Good job!!

The cops should check out all the other car washes in town. I bet the BG has some stains on his seats.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

It's a good thing you decided to carry instead of leaving your gun in a range bag. Hope all goes well with the police and can't wait to here the rest of the story.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Glad you are OK and didn't have to shoot anybody. Just goes to show you how unpredictable crap like this is, and how predictably poop heads act once they get started.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Bruce21b, you did very good, man. A warning though: you may not sleep very well for the next couple of nights. In a way, it's a good thing it's a weekend. For me, I just kept going over the same 10 seconds of it over and over and over. My wife very patiently listened to all of it. What a great partner for life she is.
    My hands are shaking and my heart's beating hard, just typing to y'all.
    Well done, buddy, well done. You didn't do anything wrong, you did very well indeed.
    My last tip: get to the range as soon as you can. You're going to need to flush out some negative thoughts.
    I think I can say for the rest of us, that we're all proud of you, brother!
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

LLT needs to read this post real bad.
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

Good on you for having an available and loaded gun.

Good on you for not freezing when the threat became apparent to you.

Good on you for sharing with us so we can benefit.

I don't know how to say this politely, but you were aware something wasn't right early on, yet you still stayed and did your business. Nothing wrong with that--no point in being so skittish one runs off anytime another car comes along--but this truck was giving you signs something wasn't right:
    this older model Dodge Ram pulls into the bay behind me......he does not pull in like he is waiting on the car wash but at a 90 degree angle to where i am.......I got back from getting change at the change machine and the truck is still sitting there......I notice this is kind of odd, this truck is sitting there and the the other four wash-bays are empty......the truck has tinted windows and i cannot see the driver.......

so i continue and spend about five minutes washing my truck
    My point is not to bash you at all, so I am hesitant to even post this...

Since reading your post, I think I would now be inclined to just leave if I'm in the same situation, so I appreciate your posting.

Your mind was telling you something wasn't right, and it was correct.

No offense intended. You did well to not get robbed, cut, or killed.

Thanks for your descriptive account which hopefully I will remember should any similar situation happen to me.

The man has a right to wash his vehicle. I wouldn't have left in his situation. I'm not that sensitive, if I was, I would never get much done.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    The man has a right to wash his vehicle. I wouldn't have left in his situation. I'm not that sensitive, if I was, I would never get much done.
    Yes, he has a right to wash his rig.

I have a right to walk along Grand in downtown St. Louis at midnight counting my money, but I won't be doing it.

The more I carry, the more I try to avoid dangerous situations.

Do as you want, Scuba.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    +1 on that. We do have a right to be out in public and not be run off every time a situation seems a little shady. I agree with Grady that we do need to avoid situations that appear dangerous (like some one standing around the corner from an ATM) but the more we defend ourselves and our rights the less these types of situations are going to happen.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

hey all,

UPDATE:

okay, the police officer just left........my nerves are a bit calmer now and im very tired from the adrenalin dump......im getting ready to lay down and sleep but wanted to update.....

the officer came in and sat down and told him my story and he took a report down.....gave him the description of the guys and the truck.....i did NOT get a plate number....he is going to forward this report to detectives and officers on patrol in that are and see what they can come up with......they will also look for any surveillance cameras in the area since there are stores nearby......the officer was very, very understanding and believed having my CCW permit saved my life today......

i have always thought cops would be anti-CCW....but not this one.......he told me that when the perp. pulled the knife and started advancing toward me, i had a "green light" to use deadly force.....he told me that to police officers, a knife can be more deadly than a gun....it never runs out of ammo and can cause more damage to the human body than a 9mm bullet.......

I should be hearing from a Detective next week..........

now that i am calm (somewhat) there is a few lessons that i have learned:

unless i am at work or asleep, my Glock 19 will NEVER be off of my side.....so many times i have left the house without it just to run up to the store, get gas, get the truck washed, gone to Mcdonalds.....NEVER AGAIN will i not carry....

i never, ever, ever, ever believed that i would have to pull my gun in self defense. EVER....but it happened, and it happened quickly, without warning and completely unexpected......

edit: i am also a firm believer in carrying with one in the chamber....i always have, but see a lot of threads about people carrying without one in the chamber........like i said, i do not even know how my gun got from the holster to my hand.....

we have "spidey-senses" for a reason......mine was going off almost as soon as i saw that truck......

i have watched a million videos on the net involving shootings and self defense stuff....NEVER again will i armchair-quarterback and try to tell someone what i would do.....shooting at paper targets in a calm environment is totally different than being out in a situation where your adrenalin is pumping and your heart is about to bust out of your chest.......

i am trying to think what i should have done different.......i think now that when i saw that truck, and my senses were telling me something was wrong i should have just got in my truck and sped away.....

i told the cop that i also might have just turned and run......he said, then you might not have seen the knife being plunged into your back when the guy chased you down....he would have took your gun, money and your life in one swoop.......that made me feel better.....

lessons learned....i learned a lot today

edit; GRADY....no offense taken at all!!!.....now that i look back, like i said, SHOULD have just got in and left....my nerves would not be fried right now........

Distinguished Member
    ^^^
    +1, Grady. Good sense and sensitivity. Keep on posting, and I'll keep reading.
    I'm sure Bruce will keep us posted on the man hunt.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    hey all,

UPDATE:

okay, the police officer just left........my nerves are a bit calmer now and im very tired from the adrenalin dump......im getting ready to lay down and sleep but wanted to update.....

the officer came in and sat down and told him my story and he took a report down.....gave him the description of the guys and the truck.....i did NOT get a plate number....he is going to forward this report to detectives and officers on patrol in that are and see what they can come up with......they will also look for any surveillance cameras in the area since there are stores nearby......the officer was very, very understanding and believed having my CCW permit saved my life today......

i have always thought cops would be anti-CCW....but not this one.......he told me that when the perp. pulled the knife and started advancing toward me, i had a "green light" to use deadly force.....he told me that to police officers, a knife can be more deadly than a gun....it never runs out of ammo and can cause more damage to the human body than a 9mm bullet.......

I should be hearing from a Detective next week..........

now that i am calm (somewhat) there is a few lessons that i have learned:

unless i am at work or asleep, my Glock 19 will NEVER be off of my side.....so many times i have left the house without it just to run up to the store, get gas, get the truck washed, gone to Mcdonalds.....NEVER AGAIN will i not carry....

i never, ever, ever, ever believed that i would have to pull my gun in self defense. EVER....but it happened, and it happened quickly, without warning and completely unexpected......

edit: i am also a firm believer in carrying with one in the chamber....i always have, but see a lot of threads about people carrying without one in the chamber........like i said, i do not even know how my gun got from the holster to my hand.....

we have "spidey-senses" for a reason......mine was going off almost as soon as i saw that truck......

i have watched a million videos on the net involving shootings and self defense stuff....NEVER again will i armchair-quarterback and try to tell someone what i would do.....shooting at paper targets in a calm environment is totally different than being out in a situation where your adrenalin is pumping and your heart is about to bust out of your chest.......

i am trying to think what i should have done different.......i think now that when i saw that truck, and my senses were telling me something was wrong i should have just got in my truck and sped away.....

i told the cop that i also might have just turned and run......he said, then you might not have seen the knife being plunged into your back when the guy chased you down....he would have took your gun, money and your life in one swoop.......that made me feel better.....

Bruce, have a good stiff drink (if you drink) and have a good lie down.

You've earned the right to take the rest of the weekend off!!

And again, thanks for sharing.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post

Thanks for the encouragement to carry. The only thing I have to reiterate (for the record because I know especially after your debriefing you know) is follow the vanishing license plate with your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I have a right to walk along Grand in downtown St. Louis at midnight counting my money, but I won't be doing it.
    Haha.. I used to housesit for a professor off of South Grand. My first week down there I called the cops twice. One time may have been a door-to-door salesman, but I thought it was odd that he asked if my parents were home when I thought it quite obvious that I was a college student. The second one was actually the neighbor, who walked around the yard of the house trying to see why the dogs were barking (he thought they were gone).

Anyway, I think it was fine that he continued. Sure, it's odd, but if I freaked out every time I found something odd, I'd never get anything done, either. People are odd and do odd things; doesn't mean they're up to anything. Just hindsight is 20/20, in this case.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links