Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scary! Glad to hear you made it out safely. Hope you can get some sleep soon and that the police can catch these BGs....

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Distinguished Member
    Scary! Glad to hear you made it out safely. Hope you can get some sleep soon and that the police can catch these BGs.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Well, you did pretty good Bruce. Most importantly, having a loaded firearm on your person and being aware of the situation.

I suppose they waited five minutes in order to determine if you might be a good target, to see how many people were in the area, and to come up with some kind of fake story to set you up for their attack.

Thanks for sharing.

edit:

well, so much for sleeping......i just drank some warm milk and i feel better (i know thats kind of wimpy, but my mom used to give that to me when i was upset :)

thank you all so very very much for your kind words of encouragement and thoughtfulness.......

i just realized, what someone just posted above about them parking at a 90 degree angle to me....so i would not get a look at the plate and so they could make a fast getaway....

now i am starting to feel anger!!!! the fear is kind of going away and now im going over and over this scenario in my head....im starting to feel angry that these people put me through this and have disrupted my life and thoughts....im getting angry that someone was going to possibly/probably kill me for my truck, or my money........i am angry that i am feeling violated

Thank God and Heaven above for Kentucky and its Concealed Carry laws.....i think i am going to write a letter to Rep. Damron, the man who drafted the CCW bill here in the state and staked his career on getting it passed..Thanking him for what he did for us in the state

i have a great family......my sisters and nephews are great people and making sure i am okay......

again, thank you all for your kind words and i hope that my experience helps you all out in becoming more aware of your surroundings, carrying your weapon always and being ready for the unexpected....

ill be talking again to you all soon......this really helps

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    edit:

well, so much for sleeping......i just drank some warm milk and i feel better (i know thats kind of wimpy, but my mom used to give that to me when i was upset :)

thank you all so very very much for your kind words of encouragement and thoughtfulness.......

i just realized, what someone just posted above about them parking at a 90 degree angle to me....so i would not get a look at the plate and so they could make a fast getaway....

now i am starting to feel anger!!!! the fear is kind of going away and now im going over and over this scenario in my head....im starting to feel angry that these people put me through this and have disrupted my life and thoughts....im getting angry that someone was going to possibly/probably kill me for my truck, or my money........i am angry that i am feeling violated

Thank God and Heaven above for Kentucky and its Concealed Carry laws.....i think i am going to write a letter to Rep. Damron, the man who drafted the CCW bill here in the state and staked his career on getting it passed..Thanking him for what he did for us in the state

i have a great family......my sisters and nephews are great people and making sure i am okay......

again, thank you all for your kind words and i hope that my experience helps you all out in becoming more aware of your surroundings, carrying your weapon always and being ready for the unexpected....

ill be talking again to you all soon......this really helps
    Another possible reason for them to park the truck parallel to the road was to help block the view from the street of the bay you were in.

+1 on the letter to Damron. I'm sure he would appreciate reading a first hand account of how the CCW law he pushed through helps the good guys.

edit:

Totally understandable and justified. And remember, not only training, but your instinctive reactions/emotions are part of what saved you.

I feel the same way...I will not go quietly into this good night....(sic)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Im glad you came out unscaved. Its allways good to read/hear a story that turns out on a positive note.

On the other hand, I was curious to know if you beleive that anything you did made the BG's think you were an easy target? (actions, physical appearence, mannerisms, etc.) I know being alone at an empty carwash at night didnt help.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Good job, maybe they cops will get these guys....btw you said that you dont remember drawing, question, do you practice alot, and think it was mucle memory or just instincts?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...Now i am starting to feel anger!!!! The fear is kind of going away and now I'm going over and over this scenario in my head....I'm starting to feel angry that these people put me through this and have disrupted my life and thoughts....I'm getting angry that someone was going to possibly/probably kill me for my truck, or my money........I am angry that I am feeling violated...
    Normal and to be expected, I'm sure.

But let me toss in a competing emotion for you: I submit that you could certainly also feel pleased in that:
    • You have not been 'paranoid' in your training and situational awareness, or rather, your paranoia has been properly matched with reality;
    • Your training and habit of concealed carry habit really did save your life - it proved to be justified (think of how a fellow might have groused about paying for car insurance... 'til after they paid out a huge settlement for a lawsuit or a new car);
    • You responded properly as you were trained - it's all well and good to shoot hoops during practice, but you were really in the game and you really scored here.

Sure, you're going to be second-guessing yourself and being upset at the way these guys messed with you (physically and with your head). Nobody here will criticize you for that! But along with barfing, the realization that you could have taken a life, and your fury, you also have every reason to be quietly pleased with yourself.

You know, in the pub afterward, lifting a pint and saying quietly and with a slight smile, "Yes, that went well, now, didn't it?"

VIP Member
    Bruce, I don't know you and so take the following advice fwiw and ignore it if it isn't for you.

A lot of folks have told you to go get a stiff drink. To go and get some sleep.
    Both good advice but there are some options if you are having trouble calming yourself and settling down.

There would be no shame whatsoever in going on over to an urgent care clinic, or even phoning your own doc, and asking for something to help calm yourself down and get to sleep. You've been through it, and if it takes a pill or two for a night or two to get you through comfortably, go for it.

Seriously, I'm almost shaking with nervousness myself just reading your posts and all the responses and thinking about what happened.

BE KIND TO YOURSELF. You don't have to tough out the adrenaline dump and the repetitive thoughts about what happened going through your head. Be kind to yourself. Get to a doc if you need assistance.

the officer was very, very understanding and believed having my CCW permit saved my life today.
    Sounds like it. Glad to see that you have an understanding LEO. That isn't always the case.

lessons that i have learned:

NEVER AGAIN will i not carry.
    That's rule #1. Can't use what you don't have with you. Finger, phone and pixie dust doesn't go very far, when a knife is advancing on you.

i never, ever, ever, ever believed that i would have to pull my gun in self defense.
    But you knew it was absolutely 100% possible. Crime happens. Which is why we carry, study situations, train for it. You might avoid crime. If not, then you hopefully survive it. What you don't get to choose, generally, is when or where.

it happened quickly, without warning and completely unexpected.
    That's why folks say to keep your "head on a swivel." Be aware of your surroundings. Listen to the little voice on your shoulder. Listen to the "spidey sense" that's picking up signals you haven't yet put together.

i have watched a million videos on the net involving shootings and self defense stuff....NEVER again will i armchair-quarterback and try to tell someone what i would do.
    Well, that's how we learn. You describe what you did. We all kick around what could have happened. We refine and improve it, in the hopes that we'll all do better next time.

Though, in this case, there isn't much that could have been done differently. It started happening like some sad, tragic play in which the actors were fated to play out their roles. And it was over in a flash, once it was over. No time for anything different.

shooting at paper targets in a calm environment is totally different than being out in a situation where your adrenalin is pumping and your heart is about to bust out of your chest.
    Which is why there's IPSC, IDPA, force-on-force and hand-to-hand type training (a la Gabe Suarez).

i am trying to think what i should have done different.......i think now that when i saw that truck, and my senses were telling me something was wrong i should have just got in my truck and sped away.
    Best option, yes, in hindsight. But there weren't any other indicators at that moment, other than (a) parking job and (b) tinted windows. Yes, safer to have left. Now that you know, you'll have this in your tool chest. Safer for next time.

i told the cop that i also might have just turned and run......he said, then you might not have seen the knife being plunged into your back when the guy chased you down.
    As well, the moment you had cause to monitor the truck/occupants (starting with them parking askew), you should NEVER have stopped monitoring them. Someone could have exited the truck and headed around the wash area, to the other side. They could have surrounded you, if there were multiple perps.

Consider looking into facilities in your region that offer shoot/no-shoot training, force-on-force training, knife and hand-to-hand training. These things will help show how the gun only goes so far, and when all the other techniques you have in your bag would be better employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    There would be no shame whatsoever in going on over to an urgent care clinic, or even phoning your own doc, and asking for something to help calm yourself down and get to sleep.
    Good advice. The body will heal itself, or not. Best bet is to help it do exactly that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good job,just because we can shoot somebody doesn't mean we have to,I hope the LEO's can figure out who they were and put them behind bars for awhile.
    And I carry everywhere,even in my house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You've been through it, and if it takes a pill or two for a night or two to get you through comfortably, go for it.
    Amen! I suffered from insomnia for a decade. Am better now, but have a stash of Lunesta in the bedside table for the occasional need.

Thank you for posting your experience. Great to hear you walked away intact!

Great job Bruce. And it turned out good for you. You might be reviewing this in your mind for years to come but it makes no difference to the fact that you made split second decisions at the right time and went home to think about it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Normal and to be expected, I'm sure.

But let me toss in a competing emotion for you: I submit that you could certainly also feel pleased in that:
    • You have not been 'paranoid' in your training and situational awareness, or rather, your paranoia has been properly matched with reality;
    • Your training and habit of concealed carry habit really did save your life - it proved to be justified (think of how a fellow might have groused about paying for car insurance... 'til after they paid out a huge settlement for a lawsuit or a new car);
    • You responded properly as you were trained - it's all well and good to shoot hoops during practice, but you were really in the game and you really scored here.

Sure, you're going to be second-guessing yourself and being upset at the way these guys messed with you (physically and with your head). Nobody here will criticize you for that! But along with barfing, the realization that you could have taken a life, and your fury, you also have every reason to be quietly pleased with yourself.

You know, in the pub afterward, lifting a pint and saying quietly and with a slight smile, "Yes, that went well, now, didn't it?"
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Absolutely 100% spot on.

Bruce, don't let yourself get drawn into paralysis by analysis here. You did well today, and in the face of an armed criminal attack, your recognition of the threat and proper response brought you home safe.

That's what counts, and that's all that counts. By any reasonable measure, you got it done today.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Glad you are safe and didn't get stabbed or killed. You made it home safe and that's what matters most.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links