Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bruce, I'm sure glad you came out of this OK. Something you never wanted to happen, but knew there is always a chance. You were ...

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

VIP Member
    Bruce, I'm sure glad you came out of this OK. Something you never wanted to happen, but knew there is always a chance.
    You were prepared and trained, that is all that matters today.

Well done, I hope you are able to recover from the physical, mental and emotional trauma soon.

I hope we can learn from your horrific experience, and handle it as well as you did.

Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

You did good. The adreneline will wear off and the tiredness envelope you. That is natural. You learned some valuable lessons as pointed out by others. And all of us are reminded to always carry.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    edit:Thank God and Heaven above for Kentucky and its Concealed Carry laws.....i think i am going to write a letter to Rep. Damron, the man who drafted the CCW bill here in the state and staked his career on getting it passed..Thanking him for what he did for us in the state
    Consider this my equivalent of a letter to your Rep. Damron...

Thank you so much for telling your story especially so soon after. I'm very new to carry and have been a bit nonchalant about carrying, tying to make it a habit but not forcing it. Your experience has shaken my bones and made me realize that if I am to survive, I WILL carry all the time.

Now I hope you can get some rest but please continue the story as it happens. How you feel after a couple days, what the police do, etc.

Thanks again - you may have saved my life today also.

+1,000,000. This is why you have armed, trained, practiced, and studied. It paid off today. Thank you for sharing with us. It has brought to light many things one can't anticipate until you've been there (the physical reactions of your body to the adrenaline and stress). Take care of yourself, and I'm glad you're still with us. Gleen the positives from this experience (confidence in your decision to carry and your abilities) and let time, rest, and being able to talk to the folks here help you put the negative aspects into perspective. Don't analyze, just pray and be thankful.

Keep your awareness up, stay prepared, and stay in touch with the Police for any updates. Stay safe, and give your burdens to The Lord to handle. Prayer and reading the Bible help a lot. I'll add you to my prayers as well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Glad you're ok. I'm sure your family is ecstatic to have you around, I'm happy for you and them.

Your scenario kind of scares me (ok, more than just "kind of"). I would've opened fire. I've trained my brain that if a knife is presented to me threateningly, I'm opening fire. You're brain was trained to present your firearm and put the sights on target.

Anyhow, it's given me some pause since I think it's better that you didn't open fire (only because he immediately ran away).
    Crime should be outlawed.

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnguns View Post
    LLT needs to read this post real bad.

Thanks - I agree, I needed to read this!

Bruce - above all, I sure am glad you're ok. Your story is a real eye opener for me. Having been (and lived) in the most dangerous parts of the country, I've never felt my life was threatened - but your story illustrates that it can happen, anywhere, anytime.

What a terrible thing to endure, but it seems like you did the right thing and you made it home at the end of the day. Also important, you didn't have to pull the trigger which, to be honest, is really refreshing to me. I've been teetering on the edge of self defense CC myself and I have to be honest - many of the wild-wild-west style comments I've read here (which fortunately, seem to be the minority) have really put me off (and IMO, is the reason why the pro-gun crowd have such a hard time selling the case) -- but your experience is one of the good, real-world examples and I can't thank you enough for sharing it.

Kudos to you for reacting so quickly, saving your own life while not taking another. Not always the case, for sure and you were well within your rights to take him down, but you made the right call and it paid off.

Take care and hope you recover from this soon.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Bruce,

Glad the situation ended as it did. Best case senario...you went home alive and did not have to shoot anyone.

Thanks for sharing...keep us posted if these hoodlums get caught and be prepared to testify against them in court if they do.
    Proud NRA member

It's front sight, PRESS! SOB is still out there.

DrJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    I just got done talking to my father, who is 82 and in a nursing home.... a WWII Vet who fought bravely on the beach at Normandy......he tells me "There are monsters in this world that walk among us......and today you came across one"........
    Your Dad may be 82 and in a nursing home, but he's obviously still pretty wise. Can't imagine the "monsters" he must have seen in his day.

Glad you made it home OK. Thanks for sharing your story. I'll think about it next time I'm tempted to leave the gun at home (or in the car) for that "quick trip".

VIP Member
    Thank you Bruce for posting about your experience! I for one think you did darn well and I'm proud of you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Bruce, your recollection of the events you experienced today gave me a little adrenaline dump. I think you did a very good job.

Making your intentions very clear to the BG once you drew certainly made him change his mind about targeting you. I'd be willing to bet you won't sleep well tonight. Its also proven that as the days go by, you'll start to remember more details about the event, that's one of the reasons why the detectives call you a few days later...

Bruce you did good. Hopefully you got some sleep.

Glad you are good and it sounds like you did everything textbook. Stay safe!

Glad to hear you are ok, you have convinced me to keep my LCP on me everyday now except 3-4 days a week.

Thank you

VIP Member
    By all means be sure that any local security video possibilities get checked out thoroughly.

Personally speaking, my security set-up begins to overwrite after about two weeks, other systems may overwrite in less time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Links