Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bruce21b I am screaming "Get the F away from me with that knife or i will kill you". Bruce: About the only ...

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    I am screaming "Get the F away from me with that knife or i will kill you".
    Bruce:

About the only other think I can think of is this: beware the "screaming" in your voice. A truly experienced criminal is going to be able to gauge the extreme lack of motor control that may be indicated by gross inability to control your voice.

What I mean is this. Consider how deeply creepy, vile and evil the attacker's voice sounded when he quietly spoke his intentions to you. Stopped you cold, yeah? Had he spoke it just a bit louder and more forcefully, you might well have been frozen solid, like a rabbit in the headlights.

The point is, the voice can be a tremendous tool in such a situation. But it can also give away your ability to control yourself, and hence the likelihood of your being able to thwart an attack that proceeds irrespective of your just having drawn a gun.

One nice benefit of focused force-on-force "stress-induced" training can be the improved ability to control your voice in such times. Better physical control, better breathing, better voice modulation ... can equal better control over the situation, as you apply your best, concise, most "evil" voice in return, telling him exactly what's going to happen.

"STOP!!! DROP YOUR WEAPON ... or be eliminated. NOW!! DROP IT NOW!!" And if he doesn't, you need to realize he probably won't, and that his two supporting thugs are likely to get in gear to help him in the attack. Remember that a knife and deadly intention is within yards of you at this moment. No screwing around will help you. If he doesn't immediately react, then you put him down.

Again, you did fine. This time, this particular criminal wasn't as hard-core as he thought he was. He didn't detect the "screaming" in your voice that might have indicated inability to control your actions well enough to matter. Still, you drew the weapon, targeted your sights, made it clear what was about to occur. He left. Which is the best possible solution. Kudos.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Bruce....all has been said that needs to be said. Glad things worked out. I hope I can react in a similar fashion IF ever faced with the evil doers in this world.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

The onlt thing I could add is that you should take a drive around the area and look for video camera yourself. Take with you a thumb drive. If you see a camera I would stop in and explain what happened and see if the store owner will be willing to save the tape because the detectives will not be getting to the case for a few weeks. or download the video to the thumb drive.

Most store keepers may be a little resistant at first but slip into the conversation "You know they targeted me down a few blocks I would love for the police to catch them before they try something here or one of the other stores in the neighborhood.

There are more video camera around than people realize.

Bruce, first thanks goodness that you are here and able to talk about your story.

I am a just registered member of DC, and want to say thank you. I was just reading this news on our forum in New York (www.LongIslandFirearms.com), posted by one of our members and thought you'd like to know that your story hit home for us as well.

Unfortunately, this type of crime seems universal, and it it the duty of those of us who have the privilege of a concealed carry permit to bring it to everyone.

Perhaps if we start to speak as one people who share the same beliefs, (the 2nd Amendment Right to Bear and Carry Arms) it will reach the ears of those in power, and they will finally take use seriously. The crime continues to rise, the police are not able to be everywhere, and our lives are literally in jeopardy. Perhaps if law abiding citizens are universally allowed to carry guns, the "bad guys" will think twice before attempting an assault.

Once again, thanks for sharing your story, and for your family's sake, thank God that you did the right thing.

Roger

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Bruce:

About the only other think I can think of is this: beware the "screaming" in your voice. A truly experienced criminal is going to be able to gauge the extreme lack of motor control that may be indicated by gross inability to control your voice.

What I mean is this. Consider how deeply creepy, vile and evil the attacker's voice sounded when he quietly spoke his intentions to you. Stopped you cold, yeah? Had he spoke it just a bit louder and more forcefully, you might well have been frozen solid, like a rabbit in the headlights.

The point is, the voice can be a tremendous tool in such a situation. But it can also give away your ability to control yourself, and hence the likelihood of your being able to thwart an attack that proceeds irrespective of your just having drawn a gun.

One nice benefit of focused force-on-force "stress-induced" training can be the improved ability to control your voice in such times. Better physical control, better breathing, better voice modulation ... can equal better control over the situation, as you apply your best, concise, most "evil" voice in return, telling him exactly what's going to happen.

"STOP!!! DROP YOUR WEAPON ... or be eliminated. NOW!! DROP IT NOW!!" And if he doesn't, you need to realize he probably won't, and that his two supporting thugs are likely to get in gear to help him in the attack. Remember that a knife and deadly intention is within yards of you at this moment. No screwing around will help you. If he doesn't immediately react, then you put him down.

Again, you did fine. This time, this particular criminal wasn't as hard-core as he thought he was. He didn't detect the "screaming" in your voice that might have indicated inability to control your actions well enough to matter. Still, you drew the weapon, targeted your sights, made it clear what was about to occur. He left. Which is the best possible solution. Kudos.
    Quite the "monday morning Quarterback" you are. You yell "get the F- away from me or I'll kill you". Every body understands.

Regarding EAP
    Always a Good Idea to talk with a professional about these moments of stress

But make sure your employer is Gun friendly enough
    that this doesn't turn into an employment issue
    In most cases its best if HR doesn't know if you carry

I Know EAP is supposed to be confidential
    But you can never be too careful about these things

I am NOT saying you shouldn't go to EAP

I AM saying be aware of the potential side effects

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Quite the "monday morning Quarterback" you are. You yell "get the F- away from me or I'll kill you". Every body understands.
    I think he was just saying when you train, you might re-think how you communicate. I believe he has some years of experience to draw from, and part of what we do here is teach, and share. But If it was me, I would have most likely yelled something very similar also.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Bruce,
    Your story reminds me so much of an experience I had at a gas station years ago (unfortunately, I was too young to carry but it had a good ending). I am so sorry that you had to deal with one of this world's monsters, but I am happy you got to go home to your family. I believe God was watching over you. I've learned some things from your experience, thank you for having the courage to tell everyone what happened.

Bruce21b, glad your OK. Glad to see a law abiding person came out on top.
    Take care and relax for a while.

Bruce, Glad to hear you're OK. It's obvious he was looking for a victim. Thanks for sharing, I think we all learned a great deal from what happened (or what could have happened).
    U.S. Navy Veteran-NRA Member
    Taurus PT 845, PT 99 AF
    Ruger SR9
    1938 Mauser K98 8mm, 1917 DWM German Luger
    1952 M1 Garand
    Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

Thank God you're okay. And thank you for posting. "Carry" on with the rest of the life you saved. Let's hope the police find these guys before they strike again.

MJK
    Good job, bro! Your actions probably saved your life...and theirs.

Go down to the local gym and hop on a treadmill or an eccentric. Get some aerobic exercise to help burn the adrenaline dump.

God bless.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    But If it was me, I would have most likely yelled something very similar also.

Z
    I think what he yelled was just fine, and definitly got the message accross. But I think that what ccw9mm was refering to was more the tone, cadence and stress level in the voice. A BG who is experienced at terrorizing people will be able to gauge how scared you are or your readiness to actually respond based on not what you say, but how you say it. Just as Bruce was able to hear the evil in the BG's voice, they can hear fear and panic, or resolve and intensity.

In this case it didn't matter, but I think ccw9mm was just trying to put it out there that for some people in some sittuations, what your voice sounds like might make the difference between the BG running away or having to shoot him if he doesn't believe you or thinks your adrenaline will inhibit your fine motor skills.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I think what he yelled was just fine, and definitly got the message accross. But I think that what ccw9mm was refering to was more the tone, cadence and stress level in the voice. A BG who is experienced at terrorizing people will be able to gauge how scared you are or your readiness to actually respond based on not what you say, but how you say it. Just as Bruce was able to hear the evil in the BG's voice, they can hear fear and panic, or resolve and intensity.

In this case it didn't matter, but I think ccw9mm was just trying to put it out there that for some people in some sittuations, what your voice sounds like might make the difference between the BG running away or having to shoot him if he doesn't believe you or thinks your adrenaline will inhibit your fine motor skills.
    What apparently made the difference was what Bruce said and the business end of a glock.

Bruce:

All the comments you have received have been excellent. I will only tell you two things from a person who has experienced this as well.

This experience will never leave you; you will remember it for the rest of your life. However, everyday will get better each day in little increments soon it will no longer haunt you, I promise.

Second: GET COUNSELING, it and Ambian helped me a lot. They are very good at helping cope and keeping it in perspective.

Glad your safe and you were smart. It will get better.
    Glock 36, 20, 30, 29, PX4 Storm SC 9mm, Colt Delta Elite, Colt Agent, Sig C3, Kimber CDP 2, Firestar 40

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth" - George Washington
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun." - Jeff Cooper

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Links