Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

This is a discussion on Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, first let me start out by saying that i have been on several of these gun forums for a long time, and whenever ...

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Folks, it finally happened.....I pulled my gun this afternoon in self-defense!!!

Hey all,

first let me start out by saying that i have been on several of these gun forums for a long time, and whenever i see a post where someone says "i pulled my gun on somebody" i have to admit im a bit skeptical.....so let me assure everyone im not an "attention-whore", or a "troll" or somebody looking to brag about something they did not do......and i want to get this typed out while it is still fresh in my memory

its taken me several hours to settle down so i can type this but i wanted to share with you all because this is the ideal place....and hopefully calm my nerves a bit.....

here is what happened:

Saturdays are usually my "Range Day".....I go about twice a month, sometimes more.....I have two Glock 19's....one is my carry piece....and the other one is my so called "safe queen".......when i go to the range i usually do not wear my carry piece, just put it in my range bag and go.....leaving the safe-queen at home.....

well, today, for some reason, i decided to wear the safe queen CCW and throw my other glock in the bag and shoot it.....

fast forward.....got done at the range and headed back home......

we have had a lot of snow here and my truck is filthy with road-salt so i decided to find a car wash on my way home.......there is a small strip shop before you get into town and at the end of it there is a self-service car wash........

i pull into the car wash area and no one else is there, i pull into the bay and as soon as i get out of my truck this older model Dodge Ram pulls into the bay behind me......he does not pull in like he is waiting on the car wash but at a 90 degree angle to where i am.......I got back from getting change at the change machine and the truck is still sitting there......I notice this is kind of odd, this truck is sitting there and the the other four wash-bays are empty......the truck has tinted windows and i cannot see the driver.......

so i continue and spend about five minutes washing my truck......it is very cool out and my hands are about frozen and cant wait to get back in my truck to thaw my hands out with the heater......

i am on the passenger side of my truck putting the scrub-brush back in its little slot and i see the driver door of the Dodge open up.....out hops this guy......a very large man wearing an army jacket, black pants and boots......the first thing i notice is both his hands are in his pockets......a quick glance behind him and notice two more people in the truck.......

he walks towards me after he gets out and says "Hey there guy, i was wondering if you could help me out?".........I am definitely in code orange right now........i say "with what???"......he glances over to his truck and says "Im needing to change the tire out on my truck and want to know if you have a jack i can use"..........i am still at the passenger side of my truck and say "No i do not....sorry i cant help"....

he then says "I think you are lying to me, i hate when people lie to me...and i think you're gonna give me what i want"........code RED right here......my heart starts beating out of my chest.....

I come around the front of my truck making my way to the drivers side and he is a step away from the bay and a hand comes out of his pocket.....he has something in his hand, it looks like a set of keys.....i start backing away towasrs the front of the bay.......behind him the other two guys in the truck hop out behind him.......i then hear a click......he has a knife........

i don't even remember pulling my gun out.......the next thing i notice is the big white dot on the front of the Glock.......and the crazy thing is i thought "where did my gun come from"...........I am screaming "Get the F away from me with that knife or i will kill you".....

I don't even remember what he siad, i remember seeing his back to me and the big white dot of my gun on him.....my hands, were frozen and could hardly move them......

the three, i remember piling into the truck and taking off......my heart is beating so hard i can feel it in my throat......i make into my truck, i don't know what just happened.......I open up my door and throw-up.........this guy was about to kill me.......

I am so sick and nervous right now.........my hands were shaking in the truck so bad i could not even dial my phone......

something told me to carry today, i think God told me to.......

like i said, im not looking for attention or anything.......my sisiter and nephews are over here with me trying to calm me down, and typing thes out of what happened to me today is something i needed to do.........

Sounds like a good call on your part. The only thing I can wonder is? Did you get on the phone with 911?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Bruce:

Glad you are OK--other than the shakes and the probable nightmares. In my opinion, you did good You are OK, nobody got shot and you aren't sitting behind bars waiting for your attorney.

Glad you listened to that still small voice........

What did the LEO's have to say? (I'm sure that you called them)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Wow. I'm glad you're OK. Did you call 911?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I am waiting on the Police to come to my house right now.......I do not know ho i made it home, my hands werer shaking, my hands were frozen and i was scared out of my wits......I have just called the Police and am waiting for an officer to pull up at this moment

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    Hey all,

first let me start out by saying that i have been on several of these gun forums for a long time, and whenever i see a post where someone says "i pulled my gun on somebody" i have to admit im a bit skeptical.....so let me assure everyone im not an "attention-whore", or a "troll" or somebody looking to brag about something they did not do......and i want to get this typed out while it is still fresh in my memory

its taken me several hours to settle down so i can type this but i wanted to share with you all because this is the ideal place....and hopefully calm my nerves a bit.....

here is what happened:

Saturdays are usually my "Range Day".....I go about twice a month, sometimes more.....I have two Glock 19's....one is my carry piece....and the other one is my so called "safe queen".......when i go to the range i usually do not wear my carry piece, just put it in my range bag and go.....leaving the safe-queen at home.....

well, today, for some reason, i decided to wear the safe queen CCW and throw my other glock in the bag and shoot it.....

fast forward.....got done at the range and headed back home......

we have had a lot of snow here and my truck is filthy with road-salt so i decided to find a car wash on my way home.......there is a small strip shop before you get into town and at the end of it there is a self-service car wash........

i pull into the car wash area and no one else is there, i pull into the bay and as soon as i get out of my truck this older model Dodge Ram pulls into the bay behind me......he does not pull in like he is waiting on the car wash but at a 90 degree angle to where i am.......I got back from getting change at the change machine and the truck is still sitting there......I notice this is kind of odd, this truck is sitting there and the the other four wash-bays are empty......the truck has tinted windows and i cannot see the driver.......

so i continue and spend about five minutes washing my truck......it is very cool out and my hands are about frozen and cant wait to get back in my truck to thaw my hands out with the heater......

i am on the passenger side of my truck putting the scrub-brush back in its little slot and i see the driver door of the Dodge open up.....out hops this guy......a very large man wearing an army jacket, black pants and boots......the first thing i notice is both his hands are in his pockets......a quick glance behind him and notice two more people in the truck.......

he walks towards me after he gets out and says "Hey there guy, i was wondering if you could help me out?".........I am definitely in code orange right now........i say "with what???"......he glances over to his truck and says "Im needing to change the tire out on my truck and want to know if you have a jack i can use"..........i am still at the passenger side of my truck and say "No i do not....sorry i cant help"....

he then says "I think you are lying to me, i hate when people lie to me...and i think you're gonna give me what i want"........code RED right here......my heart starts beating out of my chest.....

I come around the front of my truck making my way to the drivers side and he is a step away from the bay and a hand comes out of his pocket.....he has something in his hand, it looks like a set of keys.....i start backing away towasrs the front of the bay.......behind him the other two guys in the truck hop out behind him.......i then hear a click......he has a knife........

i don't even remember pulling my gun out.......the next thing i notice is the big white dot on the front of the Glock.......and the crazy thing is i thought "where did my gun come from"...........I am screaming "Get the F away from me with that knife or i will kill you".....

I don't even remember what he siad, i remember seeing his back to me and the big white dot of my gun on him.....my hands, were frozen and could hardly move them......

the three, i remember piling into the truck and taking off......my heart is beating so hard i can feel it in my throat......i make into my truck, i don't know what just happened.......I open up my door and throw-up.........this guy was about to kill me.......

I am so sick and nervous right now.........my hands were shaking in the truck so bad i could not even dial my phone......

something told me to carry today, i think God told me to.......

like i said, im not looking for attention or anything.......my sisiter and nephews are over here with me trying to calm me down, and typing thes out of what happened to me today is something i needed to do.........
    Good on you. You did exactly the right thing.. I think the NRA has a section in the American Rifleman called Armed Citizen that relates exactly these kinds of events. You should let them know about it.

Glad you are safe.

edit: police just pulled up......

VIP Member
    Sounds like you handled things well under the circumstances.

Have you notified the police yet? If not, DO SO NOW. You want to be the first to report. You don't want them to report you as a "crazy who pulled your gun on them first with no reason". If they do this and you haven't reported it, who are the cops more likely to believe?

Edit, I was typing this while you were typing that you had called police.
    Last edited by GunnyBunny; February 13th, 2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Clarity
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Glad you were prepared and things turned out OK.

Glad you're ok. Sounds like you did good on picking up on them early. PLEASE make sure you call your local LEO's and inform them if you haven't already. This way they can hopefully nail these guys before they get someone that isn't prepared.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

You came home safe. You will be sound later.

VIP Member
    Hope all goes well with the discussion with the police and that these guys didn't phone in first--which seems unlikely as they probably are all wanted for one thing or another.

First hint of trouble was the way they pulled up 90 degrees. Can't blame you for not having that register, but that might have been a good time to get in the truck and drive off. You knew something wasn't right at that point.

Glad you heard the click on the knife. Now, I wonder what they were really after. It wasn't the jack and it may not have been your money. I think they wanted your truck.

Did you get a partial plate? I can see where you wouldn't have been able to see one---and maybe that's why they did the 90 degree thing. They got you partially blocked but not looking at their plates.

Sorry that you had to go through all of that. Glad you are sort of OK. And wow, I sure wish I could have seen the look on the guys face when he was looking down the barrel of you Glock. Surprise. Wrong guy.

As for the barf part, sounds like a moment to be proud of and I'm not being silly or sarcastic. Anyone with a conscience and a sense of decency would react that way after coming that close to a shoot out. Good for you that both your mind and body recoil at the very idea of what might have happened.

Great job... glad you're OK! Let us know what happens with the police.

This is exactly why they say carry everywhere, even in your house.

Great job. Seems like your instincts & training kicked into auto pilot. The adrenaline will wear off and your still alive....and of course we are all glad to hear that. Keep us posted if possible. Thanks for sharing.

Darn near text book good. Breath, think, write it down on paper, adrenaline accompanied memories fade fast. One thought, maybe call 911 before leaving the car wash just in case the wolves were waiting to follow.

Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links