First scare at home...

This is a discussion on First scare at home... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, last night I had my first Heart pounding, nerve racking experience. I will try to keep this short.... ... Ok, went to bed about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First scare at home...

First scare at home...

Well, last night I had my first Heart pounding, nerve racking experience. I will try to keep this short....

... Ok, went to bed about 1:30am, took my Witness 10MM off of my persons and put it in the holster I have nailed to the side of the nightstand. I was laying there awake ( Usually I toss and Turn for about 30 minutes before I fall asleep. ), about 15-20 minutes after laying down I hear this LOUD CRASH! My wife wakes up and tries to wake me up ( Im already sat up, grabbing my gun ). My heart starts beating a mile per minute. I pick up my cell phone ( To use as a flashlight + have ready to call 911 ). I slowly, and quietly ( which was hard, because my adrenaline had me wanting to RUN and YELL at the would be robber lol ) make my way through the house checking every room thoroughly. Well, after I check the rooms and the garage, I turn the lights on and look around to inspect what the loud crash was... Well I discovered it was just my Iguana! He had tried to climb on one of his nighttime heating lamps, and knocked it off its mount, and it fell to the ground ( his cage, is a closet converted into a habitat, and the lights were a good 6ft off the ground lol ). After all this happened, I went back to bed, and laid there, although my heart was beating so fast it took me an hour to calm down enough to go back to sleep. I'm actually thankful for the experience. It helped me know that even though my adrenaline was racing through my veins, I could still keep my composure enough to effectively, and calmly inspect my home, while 100% ready for an encounter with a BG.

2. Remove Ads

Gotta love pets. Is he a guard Igauna?

On a side note, I would recommend getting a flashlight to keep beside you for bed duty as well.

VIP Member
    Pets are usually the culprits, but we love them anyway.

I'll second the flashlight, it works a lot better than your phone too.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, I've got flashlights in the closet.. But it just slipped my mind lol.

I have a 185lb bullmastiff, but he cant hear anything over his snoring.

VIP Member
    Not to hijack your thread, but I LOVE bullmastiffs, got a picture to share?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    had a similar about 6 months ago...a picture frame came off the wall in our spare room in the middle of the night...a joint just gave out, it came apart and hit the floor making a heck of a racket...it was a relief to find it...

Sigmanluke, it's fine. I've got a picture of Hank ( my Bullmastiff ), sitting next to my 4 year old, and a pic of him playing with my cousins 70lb Black Lab. also, I included a picture of my English Bulldog, not a guard dog... The only thing he guards is the dog food bowl.

Had to throw this in there.. This is my English Bull Terrier ( DUKE ). He passed away when we had a bad windstorm here, and he ate and got choked on some fallen tree branches

VIP Member
    Thanks for the pics!

Sorry to hear about Duke, but your Hank is beautiful!
    Thomas Jefferson

Several years ago, we had a similiar experience, while living in Nebraska. We had a pet raccoon, whose living quarters/pen was on the main floor. She had gotten out of her cage, and was walking along the plate rail that ran around the dining room, knocking off old trophies, one by one. Seemed to be enjoying herself, but scared the crap out of the whole family.
    Last edited by Old Sarge; February 16th, 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling

For me it was a cat who had knocked over a glass hamster enclosure. Dead hamster.

Sweet mastiff, they are real awesome dogs. I would keep a flashlight right next to the bed instead of the closet, the handier the better.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    +whatever now on the light.

Iguana's are neat critters. I had one when I was a kid, but I had to give it up when I joined the Army. When I got him he was around 6" or so, and was 3.5-4' when I gave him to a friend who owned a local pet shop. As far as I know, he still lives in a banana tree that hangs over an indoor koi pond in that shop. Then again, its probably dead by now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had myself a scare a while back, before I was old enough to buy/carry a handgun. Never did find out what made the house alarm beep as if a door were opening. That was one of my main motivators for getting my gun the day I turned 21.

As for the iguana, it's probably still alive if it's been taken care of. I've heard they can live pretty long.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

They live for 20+ years. I also have a 15ft reticulate python, and a 10ft burmese python. Among with 2 snake racks with about 30 ball pythons.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only good lizard is a dead lizard, especially one that scares the crap out of me!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links