Man with a knife.......

This is a discussion on Man with a knife....... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This did happen to me .............Sunny day in vegas in a large apt. complex where i live . I was walking inbetween 2 buildings with ...

Thread: Man with a knife.......

Man with a knife.......

This did happen to me .............Sunny day in vegas in a large apt. complex where i live . I was walking inbetween 2 buildings with my wife and our son ( had my gun in a fanny pack which i have CCW for "glock 19 " ) on our way to work out. I notice a man yelling at another man who is inside a car ...i'm about 60 yards away at this point. I send my wife and kid into the house and just stay where i am and watch if its something i need to call the police over or not , they have not seen me and i have plenty of cover. the heat turns up and the male half outside the car throws a bottle at the male in the car i hear it break and also see the glass shatter. DID NOT hit the male in the car, the male who threw the bottle ran back inbetween 2 other buildings where i could not see him . the male half in the car picked up his phone " and i asume was calling police still sitting in his car at the same spot. So still im just watching ......as im watching the male who ran away pop from inbetween the buildings he ran into running with a Very large Knife now i have taken my Glock out and am slowly walking towards then keeping cover at all times....the car pulls off and the male falls to the ground about the same time a girl comes out and picks him up and drags him out of sight , My gun is out the male in the car sees me and pulls towards me , i ask him to show me his hands to make sure he doesnt have a weapon and tell him to pull over away from the area where i can see him and the area where the suspect came from .and i work myself into a postion of cover again to see them both and call police.....the suspect was not caught .

Comments are welcome or questions ? I've got tuff skin

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't know what the specific law is in Nevada, but in Fla, the moment the guy in the car pulled off, you'd be guilty of illegally displaying your weapon specially if trhe guy in the car decided to really call the cops and let them know that a freak interrupted a conversation he was having with a buddy and waved a gun at him.
    Sorry, but the way I read it, you injected yourself into a situation.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

erh
    Glockguy - What ^ Miggy ^ said is basically the same everywhere, as far as I know.
    I have 2 -3 main points of observation from my end :
    (a.) What happened to calling the cops; that was the initial idea.., & you didn't do it...
    (b.) You, your wife & your daughter would be far better off w/ you around a while, instead of "Stickin' yer neck out..!
    LEO's should deal with that particular type of situation.
    I'll give you this: You started out OK on the premise of "observing w/ the intent to provide (if necessary) dire needed assistance, &/ or, calling in the Copper's..."
    Next time (and we all likely hope it'll be never...), follow through w/ your initial thoughts or you may end up unintentionally & magically being the "BG.", or far worse; end up yourself being the guy w/ the "Big A_S knife stickin' out'ta him..!
    "Observe & dial 911," unless someone's about to immediately die or you are an LEO & it's what you do daily..!" My personal .02 cents...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

If I had noticed a couple of people yelling at each other from 60 yards away and it did not immediately involve me I would have gone about my business. I may have called the police and told them there was some kind of disturbance. If I felt something was about to go down I would have retreated back to my home till after the police have arrived.
    The only reason I have a CCW is to protect my life and that of my family. For all I know this could be two drug dealers having a beef. In any event it is not worth me getting involved in at all.

Lightbulb Maintaining Cover also "Prowling?"

Quote Originally Posted by calireserve
    If I had noticed a couple of people yelling at each other from 60 yards away and it did not immediately involve me I would have gone about my business. I may have called the police and told them there was some kind of disturbance. If I felt something was about to go down I would have retreated back to my home till after the police have arrived.
    The only reason I have a CCW is to protect my life and that of my family. For all I know this could be two drug dealers having a beef. In any event it is not worth me getting involved in at all.
    I agree with you 100%! In addition, in order to snoop and poop while maintaining cover so one can get a closer look might be considered "prowling" and doing that can land one in a lockup. Very unpleasant.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I have heard that in some states one is expected to intervene if witnessing something of this sort. Anybody vouch for that, or am I making stuff up???
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lightbulb Doubt it...

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    I have heard that in some states one is expected to intervene if witnessing something of this sort. Anybody vouch for that, or am I making stuff up???
    I can think of no situation where there is a duty to act where you're not part of the event. Okay, suppose you walk into a store and you see a man holding a gun on the clerk. Do you jerk your own and take command of the situation? What happens if the guy holding the gun is an undercover cop who is arresting the clerk for dealing crack to elementary school kids. What happens when this guys partners see you and don't know the situation. Suppose it's NOT a cop...suppose it's another dealer trying to cut down on the competition? No. Too many variables for the state to try and legislate any sort of direct action. Not even indirect action. Walking away and not telling a soul might be morally reprehensible, but it's not against the law.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    In some states you have the Good Samaritan Law which is basically that if you intervene in good faith in an event, you cannot be blamed for a negative outcome. But I wouldn't want to test that law when guns and you get involved.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    In my concealed carry class, some fellow was asking the instructor about various scenarios in which it would be "the right thing" to intervene.

The instructor got a real tired look on his face and said something to the effect that "the law says you *may*, it does not say you *must*" use deadly force in this-or-that-situation.

I got the feeling he was sick of questions from people who seemed like they were just looking for a "chance" to shoot someone; or who though having a CHL made them some kind of crime-fighting quasi-deputy.

Anyway, I know of no law that requires you to intervene in a fight between two other people. You can try to protect the one you think is innocent, but I don't think the law requires it.

Regards,
    Andrew
    Retractable claws... the original concealed carry
    http://www.bayourifles.org

Thumbs down Grade 'F'

Glockguy--sorry to give you an F on this situation, but that is the grade I would award.

First you were 60 yards--180 feet away. Why approach??

If you thought there was a problem, why not call the police immediatly??

Why did you draw the gun?? Were you or yours in jeopardy?? What did you plan to do with the gun??

Why did you interfere with the the person leaving?? You could very well have spent the night in jail, and had considerable expense just to lose your permit.

Suggest you take a good course in lethal threat management.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Nope not even gonna go there , ill just get me a bag of peanuts ( dont care for popcorn ) and watch this one lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Here' a free "critique" sinced you asked...

I notice a man yelling at another man who is inside a car ...i'm about 60 yards away at this point. I send my wife and kid into the house and just stay where i am and watch if its something i need to call the police over or not , they have not seen me and i have plenty of cover.
    So far so good...at this point you are a "concerned citizen".Nothing wrong with that...

the heat turns up and the male half outside the car throws a bottle at the male in the car i hear it break and also see the glass shatter. DID NOT hit the male in the car, the male who threw the bottle ran back inbetween 2 other buildings where i could not see him . the male half in the car picked up his phone " and i asume was calling police still sitting in his car at the same spot. So still im just watching ......as im watching the male who ran away pop from inbetween the buildings he ran into running with a Very large Knife
    You witness a situation that is escalating and realize the danger. Still no problem.

now i have taken my Glock out and am slowly walking towards then keeping cover at all times....the car pulls off and the male falls to the ground about the same time a girl comes out and picks him up and drags him out of sight , My gun is out the male in the car sees me and pulls towards me , i ask him to show me his hands to make sure he doesnt have a weapon and tell him to pull over away from the area where i can see him and the area where the suspect came from
    Heres the thing...did you honestly feel your life was in danger ? Did you have the ability to retreat ? Does your state allow legal defense of a third person ? Some do and some dont.

You commanded the driver to show you his hands.You then commanded him to get away from you. If he had not, what then ? If he had presented a weapon, in a court of law it could be argued that he was defending himself from YOU...as you had the gun out already.As already mentioned, you injected yourself into the situation and depending on where you live, that could be taken very seriously in court and dimly viewed by the legal craft.

In the worse case scenario, where you had to shoot to keep yourself from getting killed, it could be twisted and turned to make you look like the aggressor...and stranger things than that have happened in court.

In the long run, would it have been worth it? Even with a successful defense, it would have cost you tens of thousands of dollars for legal counsel...if you won. If you lost, it could have cost you your freedoms, your rights and eventually your family....

and for what ?
    A couple of low life idiots getting into a fight..in an event where society would likely be better of if they had both killed themselves fighting each other.

In the words of a famous singer...

you gotta know when to hold em,
    know wehn to fold em,
    know when to walk away,
    know when to run....

thats kinda what i though was coming , im open to other ideas, Here's what i was thinking , i was watching until it turned bad, at that time i thought someone was going to die if i didn't get involved. So I choose to get involved.

Senior Moderator
    So I choose to get involved.
    Gotta respect that...

The big question is...is it worth it ? Only you can make that desicion and its one that not only YOU but your family must live with...

hmm written funny or its late. So the guy that threw the bottle left and came back with a knife and the guy on the phone saw it and drove away. The guy w/ knife fell down or got knocked down by car and dragged away by lady?
    So the non aggressor drives toward you and you yell at him to show you his hands. ( fine if your'e a cop) then you have him drive over somewhere else.(not good if your a cop, if i were a bg i would drive off.)
    Bottom line....Are you a cop?
    If so then thank you for doing you job when your off the clock.
    If not, you should really take a close look at your local laws and spend alot of time on this forum, before you try to fight crime in Gotham city again.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Links