My first line of defense

This is a discussion on My first line of defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is a good-looking pair of scouts, there. They done good. The footprints confirm everything. Next step, some retina-scalding perimeter lighting and IR/night capable cameras ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first line of defense

Thumbs up

That is a good-looking pair of scouts, there. They done good.

The footprints confirm everything. Next step, some retina-scalding perimeter lighting and IR/night capable cameras to get the criminal(s) on film.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Not to pick on you, but rather to give you some food for thought:

First, don't follow the poor advice of the forum ninjas and shoot a round in the air to scare off possible nefarious individuals. That would be in poor taste.

Second, you admit to grabbing your handgun, but what about an illumination device to identify the possible threat and a communication device to summon help if the reason for your dogs barking was one of those so called "nefarious individuals"?

Third, if said "nefarious individuals" were a bit more on the felonious side and had already gained entry, dogs or not, if you had to wrestle with one or two of them were you wearing clothing and shoes up to such a task? It takes minimal time to throw on a pair of pants and shoes, but also allows you the time to clear the cobwebs from your head and helps you to "suit up" for a possible battle by getting ready mentally. On the subject of shoes, it is a rare individual that can withstand having his or her bare foot stepped on by a boot wearing fighter. I wear boots and I use my feet. Take that as a hint.

OK, it's late, I'm going back to bed, and I've said all I'm going to say. Take care, stay safe and learn what you can from this. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes. We all do that from time to time. The trajedy is refusing to learn from the mistakes and repeating them.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    ... if you had to wrestle with one or two of them were you wearing clothing and shoes up to such a task?

It takes minimal time to throw on a pair of pants and shoes, but also allows you the time to clear the cobwebs from your head and helps you to "suit up" for a possible battle by getting ready mentally.
    All depends on the speed and ferocity of entry, of course, and that's time we might well not be given. In a swift-moving, violent entry, there is going to be little time to put on appropriate shoes/clothing. Worth attempting, either way.

On the subject of shoes, it is a rare individual that can withstand having his or her bare foot stepped on by a boot wearing fighter.
    If for no other reason than to clear the "cobwebs," I am all for taking 30sec to put on suitable clothing and shoes. I'll need to think clearly. I might well need to head outside, where there be stones and thorns on the ground. But the choice will be up to the quality of the perimeter defenses and violence of the attack.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I would (have) take (n) pictures of the prints and called LEO to document. Maybe over reacting, but it does not take much time.

Someone on your poarch at that time of night and leaving after dogs bark. Doubtful someone you know.

Most likely, your first line did the trick. However, if you are being targeted for some reason, you can't be sure what the reason is, and you can't be sure what is an attempt or just a test.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I would (have) take (n) pictures of the prints and called LEO to document. Maybe over reacting, but it does not take much time.

Someone on your poarch at that time of night and leaving after dogs bark. Doubtful someone you know.

Most likely, your first line did the trick. However, if you are being targeted for some reason, you can't be sure what the reason is, and you can't be sure what is an attempt or just a test.
    great advice...beats firing a shot in the air....

Quote Originally Posted by noonan View Post
    Last night around 2:30 in the morning I awoke to my dogs running out of the bedroom barking and growling like crazy. Anyway I jumped out of bed grabbed the 1911 off the night stand and headed towards the front door where the dogs were going crazy, I looked out the window and there were wet footprints on the porch! Scary! So I am very happy to have a couple of 4 legged friends to sound the code red alarm, they may have saved someone from getting a few holes in them.
    Good dog, good dog!

Dogs are great aren't they.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Awesome pictures of your dogs, they look like handfuls!

Give them the best doggie treats and pet toys you can afford

your friends deserve lot's of treats!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Pits are AWESOME dogs!!

OD*
    Yep, they deserve some extra goodies.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Dogs sure can be great. Mine likes to bark at anyone and everyone when there are outside near the house. He even barks at me when i come in until he realizes who it is.

This is my boy right here....

After mine alerts me to someone being around.... and every time she lets me know.. there is... she goes and sits down by the table, waiting for her treat. LOL.

I've learned to "always" trust her, as she's never been wrong..... especially the time she jumped into the middle of my chest (she's not small) to wake me up about 2 a.m.... and then growled real low towards the back door. I got up to discover... someone was trying to break in thru the back door. They would have met me with gun in hand, all due to my dog. I thought it was interesting she growled to tell me, but did not bark and let them know she was on to them. LOL.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Her nickname is "Big Sleeper" but she should be called "Big Light-Sleeper". She hears everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Please don't advise people to fire a shot into the air.
    I second that!!! A big NO-NO!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links