My first line of defense

My first line of defense

This is a discussion on My first line of defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night around 2:30 in the morning I awoke to my dogs running out of the bedroom barking and growling like crazy. Anyway I jumped ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first line of defense

My first line of defense

Last night around 2:30 in the morning I awoke to my dogs running out of the bedroom barking and growling like crazy. Anyway I jumped out of bed grabbed the 1911 off the night stand and headed towards the front door where the dogs were going crazy, I looked out the window and there were wet footprints on the porch! Scary! So I am very happy to have a couple of 4 legged friends to sound the code red alarm, they may have saved someone from getting a few holes in them.
    Attached Images
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

I don't care if I am coming up to ask for help with a flat, I see those two coming at me and I'll walk back to Texas.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Yep, i got two American Bulldogs roaming and they only bark when there is a reason too......you should have fired off a shot in the air to let the guy know you are armed and maybe he will find him an easier target.......course it could have been kids playing or late night jehova witnesses??
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Good alert dogs are very effect as alarm systems.

Be sure to give them a extra treats.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    good.. i wish my dogs barked at strangers... they only bark at the mailman who they see everyday..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    course it could have been kids playing or late night jehova witnesses??
    My parent's neighbors had a group of kids come to their house around 2:30 in the morning and bang on their doors and windows until they woke up then the kids ran away. My dad said those kids were lucky, if they had been one house over, they would have gotten a scary surprise. Being a kid doesn't excuse coming to someone's house late at night/early in the morning.

Good dogs, give em a treat. When mine barks, somethings up, he's not a false alarm box. He can be laying on the bed snoring so loud the bed shakes but he is up and off to work when somethings ''off''.

BTW, the bed really shakes when he snores.....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    good.. i wish my dogs barked at strangers... they only bark at the mailman who they see everyday..
    That can be changed with very little effort, they've gotten lazy, it's in their nature. Go through some senarios with a friend or two, and reinforce good reactions to strangers.
    The mailman thing is an automatic win every day with little or no effort on their part. A dog should be part of the team, and not just something fed. JMO

Yep, i got two American Bulldogs roaming and they only bark when there is a reason too......you should have fired off a shot in the air to let the guy know you are armed and maybe he will find him an easier target.......course it could have been kids playing or late night jehova witnesses??
    Please don't advise people to fire a shot into the air.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Advising people to use warning shots is a really dumb idea. Most law enforcement/DA's look down on it. Especially if the guy was already hauling off and posed no threat.

NOTHING...beats a good 'dog alarm'...richly reward your pooches.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We have a morkie (half maltese half yorkie) He's about 2 pounds and cute as can be. One thing is for certain. NOBODY will be able to sneak up on our house with that yapper running around. All I need is the wake up call....I'll do the rest

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Give those babies some extra treats, they deserve it.

Good advice about not firing a shot in the air, plus it was inside the house (2:30 A.M.), those holes in the roof are really tricky to patch up, plus it would probably start to rain right after that..
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

So where do you think that round is going after you pop it off up in the air,If your in town you just commited a crime unlawful discharge of a weapon.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Good dogs, give em a treat. When mine barks, somethings up, he's not a false alarm box. He can be laying on the bed snoring so loud the bed shakes but he is up and off to work when somethings ''off''.

BTW, the bed really shakes when he snores.....
    I have 2 Rotties who are out all night (we live in the sticks with fence and gate) and sleep inside most of the day. I am quickly aware when I have visitors, and those who have not been introduced find it better to ring the bell at the gate.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links