Carjacked!

Carjacked!

This is a discussion on Carjacked! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok this is a topic that me and a friend of mine debated for an hour about. Here in VA (atleast that I was told) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carjacked!

Carjacked!

Ok this is a topic that me and a friend of mine debated for an hour about. Here in VA (atleast that I was told) you can't protect your car. Now the scenario your driving home from work and you stop at a red light. You noticed that a couple of guys walking in front of your car. And one of them runs to your driver side window and pulls a gun. "Get the f$&k out the car or I'll blow your f@&$ing head off!" Would you go for you gun and shoot or would you try to drive off. And if you did get to shoot would you be justified?

VIP Member
    If I can drive off, I will do whatever I can to get away. I will not get out of the car and I will not attempt to go for my gun because he has the tactical advantage. But remember - a car is a weapon too. If I have to run him over to escape, that's his problem.

I would only pull my gun if I am cornered with no place to escape to.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Floor it!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Lots of variables...

1) Are you alone or do you have family in the car?

2) Where is your firearm? On your person? In the glovebox?

3) Gunman has a massive tactical advantage since his gun is in your face.

4) Do you have insurance that will replace your car?

Also, are you protecting your life/well-being, or your car? You really should figure that out before this situation might occur.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

A gun in the hand beats a gun in the holster 99 times out of 100.

Something you may not think of: this may depend on the type of vehicle you drive. Were I in my parents Impala I would probably chance gunning it since it's a pretty quick and agile mover. The chances of a gunman shooting after you are probably pretty low, but don't hold me to that.

My stick-shift, lifted Wrangler on the other hand is not so agile and definitely not so quick. However it has a pretty tight turning radius and turning into him might be a viable option. Knock him off balance and maybe nail him with one of my 33's.

In the end no situation is going to be the same. Sometimes running is a good idea, sometimes not. Another thing to think about is that you may be able to get out and take them down. Obviously they want you out of the vehicle, so do you trust yourself to - in one motion - exit the vehicle and quickly bat their gun down/away while you draw yours? Getting out of my Jeep is, at the moment, a pretty awkward affair since I do not have a step or nerf bar yet. Bracing my hand on the seat while getting out puts my hands within inches of my gun.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Any way you slice it, if a bad guy has a gun pulled on you, you have reasonable fear of imminent death. So, can you shoot? I'd say yes.

Should you shoot? As others have already stated--that is going to be an assessment that only you can make at the split second of decision.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    sigh... "i was in fear for my life". /end story

by your logic, if someone pulls a weapon on you and says "give me your shoes", you can't shoot because he wants your shoes.. think about what you're asking, then realize it's dumb.

The very reason to have a holster mounted in your vehicle within reach. We have a guy here in Texas that makes holsters that have a hard mount for screwing it to the seat brace or under the dash. A very verastile mounting system.

Me, I have been known to keep my handgun under my leg when not in my pickup. This way in a car jacking situation I will have it in my hand as I exit my vehicle. BG probably won't see it coming as I'll be whining and crying to keep his attention off my hand. If I can get a point blank shot off to his face or center mass, I'll take it.

But, hey, I live in Texas. It's legal here.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    A gun in the hand beats a gun in the holster 99 times out of 100.

Something you may not think of: this may depend on the type of vehicle you drive. Were I in my parents Impala I would probably chance gunning it since it's a pretty quick and agile mover. The chances of a gunman shooting after you are probably pretty low, but don't hold me to that.

My stick-shift, lifted Wrangler on the other hand is not so agile and definitely not so quick. However it has a pretty tight turning radius and turning into him might be a viable option. Knock him off balance and maybe nail him with one of my 33's.

In the end no situation is going to be the same. Sometimes running is a good idea, sometimes not. Another thing to think about is that you may be able to get out and take them down. Obviously they want you out of the vehicle, so do you trust yourself to - in one motion - exit the vehicle and quickly bat their gun down/away while you draw yours? Getting out of my Jeep is, at the moment, a pretty awkward affair since I do not have a step or nerf bar yet. Bracing my hand on the seat while getting out puts my hands within inches of my gun.
    Yes a lifted Jeep might hide your drawing motion if the BG can't see into the cab.. open the door and bang bang bang at the BG
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    Floor it and hope your able to take out both guys at once is the first choice. If it comes down to shooting, your defending yourself, not protecting your car. He made a death threat and you defended yourself.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm exiting the vehicle,then as he gets in and diverts his gun I pull mine and mess up the interior of my jeep.
    On the first 24 they had a scenario happened very similar to this in IIRC Dallas Tx,a guy was set up on craigs list to buy a car,the car owner had a buddy rob them before he showed up with car and then play it off like he wasn't involved it was just bad luck,The guy pulled a gun and tried to rob them,but the buyer had a CHL and was carrying,he pulled his gun and BG shot and killed him before he could get a shot off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

LLT
    Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    If I can drive off, I will do whatever I can to get away. I will not get out of the car and I will not attempt to go for my gun because he has the tactical advantage. But remember - a car is a weapon too. If I have to run him over to escape, that's his problem.

I would only pull my gun if I am cornered with no place to escape to.

Good response. +1

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If he is too close, pretend to be getting out and slam the door into him and drive off, if he is far enough away that he couldn't see, then draw. If you do draw and shoot, you are not protecting your car, you are in fear of your life because he has a gun on you and threatened to use it.
    Walk softly ...

lIf you cant drive off, and can't get a shot off without being shot, exit the vehicle using the door farthest from him.

If I have open road in front of me, I'm revving the engine to 2k rpm and dropping the clutch. If not, I'm going to be trying to figure out a way to get my gun into the fight. Under no circumstance will I be exiting the vehicle when I'm not in control of the situation. I don't want to be driven to my ATM and then shot in the back of the head.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links