Critique This Shootout Video...

This is a discussion on Critique This Shootout Video... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Remember this Video some years ago, from a civilian defensive Concealed Carry point of view (Not Police) what is your assessment, what do you see. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique This Shootout Video...

Critique This Shootout Video...

Remember this Video some years ago, from a civilian defensive Concealed Carry point of view (Not Police) what is your assessment, what do you see. What are the Pro's and Con's base on your opinion or training experience.

We use videos to examine tactics in order to learn and improve reactions/tactics to real life situations. At the expense of BRAVE officers who put their lives on the line each and everyday, and who's job it is to run towards danger when everyone else is running away, everyones synopsis should be respectful without disrespecting ANY Law Enforcement people.

With that said, what went right or wrong with this shootout, when i post shootout videos to review the responses are few, chamber or non-chamber carry will get fifty pages about being ready... like, don't carry if you don't keep your weapon chambered... or what a quick draw they are... but when it comes to reviewing the actions shown in a real life video, the lack of training inhibits an individuals ability critique.

I rather post a wrong answer and learn, than keep a wrong answer to myself, and sometimes answer/opinions aren't necessary wrong, but an individual may find a better way to react, or a better tactic to use.

For the sake of discussion the LE involvement is irrelevant, we want to use the tactics here which could happen with friends or family, take this scenario and put it in a public parking lot, or where ever you imagination takes you, could be road rage incident, you and your buddy get into a argument and the driver of the truck gets out followed by a series of events. ANY OPINIONS?

YouTube - Cops in shootout

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    As a CCW permit holder I have never ( and don't think I should) perform a traffic stop.

I don't understand what you want from the standpoint of a civilian conceal carry person point of view. LE officers can comment and critique, but civilians are not trained to make a traffic stop and react when TSHTF as shown in this video.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

people you have to read my post, this could be a road rage scenario, parking lot encounter, i'll spell it out...

if you approached the drive while exchanging words and the passenger exit the vehicle and drew a weapon like shown in the video, or if you want to review it from a LE point of view go ahead, and its probably simpler to just review/critique what you see.

If I recall correctly the Passenger was wearing body armor. The officer did hit him COM but the body armor saved him.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Well, it looks like the one officer did a good job of moving from the cover of the suburban to the patrol car.
    The second officer lost control of the unarmed suspect, but given the officer's safety concern, who can blame him/
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Well, it looks like the one officer did a good job of moving from the cover of the suburban to the patrol car.
    The second officer lost control of the unarmed suspect, but given the officer's safety concern, who can blame him/
    with gunfire happening in close proximity it is not a surprize that his attention was divided and losing control of the suspect a possibility...

the officer who returned fire did a good job of covering and following the shooter into a position where he could effectively fire on him and draw him away from the other officer who was wrestling a suspect...

the only thing i could see that might have helped with the suspect who fled was for one of the officers to sweep his legs instead of both trying to control him from his upper body...he needed to be taken down to be controlled...the fact that niether officer was shot in this scenario was a bonus...it was an nearly totally out of control situation that could have gone a lot worse had they not identified the threat and neutralized it...

I've seen the aftermath when they encountered the guy that took off in the suburban,he opened fire on the cop with a full auto firearm,IIRC both perps are still on the run,White Supremacist affiliation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Watching it again, very good situational awareness on the part of the cop who saw the passenger with the gun--listen to how soon he starts yelling "gun."
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Answer to previous thread

Gunsite:

If an unarmed person who is held at gunpoint by another person is able to open the car door, get in, and drive away while the armed person is hanging on to him, this might indicate that this tactic would be a good one to use for the scenario in a previous thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...carjacked.html

In summary, if you are at a red light and a person comes alongside and points a gun to your head, what do you do?

It appears from the video that the bad guy's tactics worked well.

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by gunsite View Post
    if you approached the drive while exchanging words
    At no point should you be getting out of your car to "exchange words" with another driver, especially while carrying. If you're the kind of person that feels the need to get out and yell at someone who cut you off or something, you probable should stop carrying until you learn some anger management.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    This is just a very poor example of a video to have CCW holders critique. If you look at it from the BG's point of view they seemed to have done better. They used cover ,they escaped what more could you want?

You need to go back and review your training approach if you believe this is somehow relevent.

From an LEO point of view this is a cluster and there are so many different ways to Monday Morning Quarterback this scenario. As for a post I read earlier about confronting someone during a road rage situation. The best advice is just don't do it. If the guy hasn't hit you then follow from a safe distance and call the police or just be the better person and go a different direction. Don't lose your cool or you might end up dead regardless of how prepared you are.

Are these the guys from Wisconsin that were never caught? Or were only yrs later? They are heroes in some of the more extreme milita circles. There are stories explaining how they went underground, off the grid, and lived new lives.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

For me, I think the only way I'd approach another car is if we'd been in an accident and I was inquiring about injuries. In a road rage incident, if I was stopped (which I'd avoid at all costs), I would never approach the other vehicle.

And if I was still in my vehicle and approached by one or 2 or more bgs....who the heck knows what I'd do? Drive off if at all possible, even over one or more of them.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links