Active Shooter Proofing our Kids

This is a discussion on Active Shooter Proofing our Kids within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Of course, getting some administrative people and school boards, with all their advanced degrees and what not, to make such an intelligent decision, has not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active Shooter Proofing our Kids

"Of course, getting some administrative people and school boards, with all their advanced degrees and what not, to make such an intelligent decision, has not been very easily accomplished."-miklcolt45

Yeah, many of these egg heads are educated above there level of understanding. PhD=piled, high and deep for sure. As long as they have the Gun Free Zone signs up I guess that will protect our kids.
    Last edited by ms121269; February 26th, 2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Carry gun Glock 22 modified by my friend Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat + Crimson Trace LG-417.

2nd Kahr PM40 or .32 NAA.

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My one school age child (9) has been instructed to not drink the koolaid on lockdowns. He is to run away in a zig zag fashion to a place of safety if he hears gunshots. I'm putting my money on that being safer than hiding in a corner. We will reconnect at a later time and I will take the heat for him doing it.

His school has a resource officer. I went to school with the guy. Not sure if he would be up to the task of an active shooter. Last year his teacher was a reserve Deputy. I can't tell if he is armed but I doubt it.

If I hear anything about a shooting on the scanner I will probably be the first armed person to arrive at the school it is at the end of the county least patrolled by the Sheriff's Dept.

I trust and hope that the SRO and the reserve Deputy realize I am a good guy when I go in as a one man army. Just in case I will give the dispatcher a heads up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Seriously consider homeschooling

I submit that the public school system is broken, an aberration historically, and is only really good at:
    • Creating sheeple (go along, fit in, you get a grade for showing up most days regardless of performance, nanny gummit will take care of you - "OK, kids, now let's all sing that nice hymn we just learned about health care", we know better than your folks; Christian parents should review Mt 22:21);
    • Educating kids in how to be like their peers (=filled to the gills with popular culture rather than content and morality - a hideous education!);
    • Babysitting while both parents work (which they likely do to keep up with the culture they were taught to value when they were in school); and
    • Providing unarmed victim zones (for shooters, bullies, gang-bangers, drug-pushers, and worst of all, the peer group).
    I was going to put only the last item in bold, but I consider the others to be far more dangerous considering that they apply to all kids in public schools (and many in private schools), and their effects last a lifetime. Note: I taught for 13 years in California and have subbed in Virginia occasionally. What I'm describing is worse in California, but the system itself is country-wide and is highly destructive whether or not an individual teacher might be moral, dedicated, and devoted to the kids (I've seen 'em - many are out there - but they're no match for the peer group).

WHY NOT HOMESCHOOL?

• Homeschooling protects your child (from a shooter, the idiots of their age group, the government-sponsored brainwashing, and many liberal teachers - note that for socialization you can always do what we did to give her the same advantages enjoyed by public school kids: every two weeks or so we would take our daughter into the bathroom, beat her up, and take her lunch money);
    • Homeschooling provides a much better education in practically every situation (I'm a trained and credentialed teacher saying this) and
    • Homeschooling strengthens the family (for starters, the kid gets to SEE the parents... and see them as imparting something of value).

Yes, I *do* recognize that many through their own bad choices or the evil done to them by others appear to have no other option but to put their kid in public school (and maybe they really don't have any other option) - my heart goes out to them. Still, one can think outside of the box: for example if you sold the house, boat and SUV and moved to a trailer in the middle of nowhere, stopped eating out and shopped first at the thrift store, your wife could certainly quit her job and become a full-time teacher (and you would probably have money left over). She already has what she needs credential-wise (she's a mom), and tons of help is available for curriculum and support. It's the deciding that's the hard part.

And you can teach what is important. My daughter got the best of literature from Aristotle and Augustine through Kierkegaard and Nietzsche (with a solid Biblical perspective on each)... and took her concealed carry class as part of her senior year's curriculum. Sure, she won't be able to get her permit 'til 21, but she's already a great shot and has tons more situational awareness than others of her age. And she sees popular culture for what it is.

Please PM me if you want more info on homeschooling.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

We home schooled before I retired in MD and moved to PA. Two out of my three kids are learning disabled and the youngest is severely disabled. I cannot speak for every school district but I have three kids in three different schools and have had very few issues. They are great with my little one, and my son has excelled.- George

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    My one school age child (9) has been instructed to not drink the koolaid on lockdowns. He is to run away in a zig zag fashion to a place of safety if he hears gunshots. I'm putting my money on that being safer than hiding in a corner. We will reconnect at a later time and I will take the heat for him doing it.

His school has a resource officer. I went to school with the guy. Not sure if he would be up to the task of an active shooter. Last year his teacher was a reserve Deputy. I can't tell if he is armed but I doubt it.

If I hear anything about a shooting on the scanner I will probably be the first armed person to arrive at the school it is at the end of the county least patrolled by the Sheriff's Dept.

I trust and hope that the SRO and the reserve Deputy realize I am a good guy when I go in as a one man army. Just in case I will give the dispatcher a heads up.
    Good for you, Paramedic:

I have two nieces who are teachers, and I just finished corresponding with one who has been "trained" to be a first responder to restrain "unruly" students. The administration's plan is ridiculous.

She cannot use any more force than the student uses. She cannot use a knife for defense against his drawn knife. She cannot restrain him against a wall.

Sounds like Vietnam: do not shoot unless you are shot (at).

We need more parents like you to protect the students.

Capt. Art

Something that should not be forgotten is that all that use of force BS the schools talk about has nothing to do with your rights to defend yourself as a citizen. I would imagine your nieces were looking for jobs when they found these. If they are assaulted and protect themselves and are fired for it they can look for another job.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Something that should not be forgotten is that all that use of force BS the schools talk about has nothing to do with your rights to defend yourself as a citizen. I would imagine your nieces were looking for jobs when they found these. If they are assaulted and protect themselves and are fired for it they can look for another job.- George
    You are correct, George. That is just what I told her.

VIP Member
    Regarding this topic, "Active Shooter Proofing our Kids," as important as it is, the fact is school shootings are still relatively rare events. Generally they are targeted and involve an angry parent going after staff or a stalking bf going after his ex. The Columbine thing and similar just are rare events. I'd say they are quite rare in comparison with things like stranger abductions. Both mass shootings and targeted shootings being quite rare in comparison with parental or other relative "kidnapping" over family issues; and sometimes these can be very dangerous situations as well.

There are just so many things we can tell our kids without turning them into fearful beings who are emotionally paralyzed and unable to be kids.

Young kids especially have vivid and creative imaginations which don't always differentiate between reality and what is actually going on. I'd not lay this stuff on any kid under the Junior High age. You can't warn them and train them against every possible danger, and you need to deal with the only the most common dangers, not the most uncommon.

Bullies, molesters, abductors, are all higher on my list of things likely to affect your kid than active shooters randomly doing their thing.

Younger than 9-10, just tell them they are safe in school and their teachers will look after them. Warn them about dangers on the way home, and about adults who make them feel uncomfortable or do things they think are not right.

I'd leave it right there with young kids.

The most important thing you can teach them is to GET OUT OF THE SCHOOL. I don't care what the teacher says, go out the window or emergency exit and keep running until you are well away.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Regarding this topic, "Active Shooter Proofing our Kids," as important as it is, the fact is school shootings are still relatively rare events. Generally they are targeted and involve an angry parent going after staff or a stalking bf going after his ex. The Columbine thing and similar just are rare events. I'd say they are quite rare in comparison with things like stranger abductions. Both mass shootings and targeted shootings being quite rare in comparison with parental or other relative "kidnapping" over family issues; and sometimes these can be very dangerous situations as well.

There are just so many things we can tell our kids without turning them into fearful beings who are emotionally paralyzed and unable to be kids.

Young kids especially have vivid and creative imaginations which don't always differentiate between reality and what is actually going on. I'd not lay this stuff on any kid under the Junior High age. You can't warn them and train them against every possible danger, and you need to deal with the only the most common dangers, not the most uncommon.

Bullies, molesters, abductors, are all higher on my list of things likely to affect your kid than active shooters randomly doing their thing.

Younger than 9-10, just tell them they are safe in school and their teachers will look after them. Warn them about dangers on the way home, and about adults who make them feel uncomfortable or do things they think are not right.

I'd leave it right there with young kids.
    Realistic Self-Defense for Kids | Modern Combative Systems Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links