Active Shooter Proofing our Kids

This is a discussion on Active Shooter Proofing our Kids within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every parents worst nightmare is seeing their child's school on Fox News with the tape across the bottom saying "School Shooting". According to my research ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Every parents worst nightmare is seeing their child's school on Fox News with the tape across the bottom saying "School Shooting". According to my research from 1996 until present, there has been 44 school shootings in the US which one or more people were killed. This number is likely to rise. We need to teach our kids from an early age that they need to be aware of their surroundings and options to make them safer at all times.

Most schools have adopted similar plans that start with an announcement or other signal that there is an emergency. Teachers are instructed to quickly look into the hallway and get any students they see into their room, secure their room, take attendance of kids in the room, and add any other students or staff to the sheet, and slide it out into the hallway. Then they wait for further instructions. Depending on where you live, the plan may vary but this is what I have found to be most common.

This is an excellent strategy especially for younger children of grade school age. The problem however is that historically elementary schools are not the targets of active shooters. The vast majority of active shooters occurred in middle schools, high schools, and colleges. It also seems that the vast majority of casualties and fatalities were in gathering places like cafeterias, libraries, gyms, and school entrances. The age of school shooters in the US has ranged from 11 yrs of age up to the early 20's for college shooters. The median age seems to be around 15 yrs of age.

Research shows that the shooters were considered by many to be outcasts by their peers. Because of this, it was their peers that they targeted. Often the shooters plan was to target a particular group or person, but others became targets of opportunity. What makes school shooters so deadly is that not only do they know the physical layout and schedule of the school, but more importantly the know where and when to find large groups that provide for a target rich environment for their intended carnage.

With this information we know that-

* School shootings are most likely to occur in middle schools, high schools, and colleges.
    * The shooter is likely to be a student at the school they target.
    * The most dangerous place to be is in large common areas where students habitually gather.

The key to active shooter proofing our kids is teaching and modeling awareness, avoidance, and identifying their options.

Awareness- this is all encompassing. The goal is not only to be aware of your surroundings at all times, but where they fit into what is happening. Being the obvious target of aggression and being a bystander obviously allows and requires different actions.

Another part of awareness is learning to trust gut feelings about people and situations. When something is not right, kids need to be encouraged to act on it. This can range from reporting something that they overheard in conversation, to just knowing when things are not right.

Avoidance- All students are going to spend a large amount of time in kill zones such as cafeterias, libraries, and gyms. As a rule, they should avoid being near the main entrance to a space and the likely entrance for a shooter. Have them make a habit of positioning themselves near an exit that leads outside if possible. This is a basic principle whether they are at school or a restaurant. Caution them against leaving the area as soon as they hear gunfire, if they cannot tell where it is coming from. Leaving the area is best done when they can see the shooter, or there are obvious signs that he is close.

In my opinion, regardless of the school's rules about cell phones every student over the age of 13 should have one on their person in case of an emergency. During emergencies, they should only use texting since it does not overburden the phone lines and is usually available even with there is no cell coverage. Everyone, not just students, need to have a primary and secondary ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact. As soon as they feel safe to do so, they should be instructed to send a text to both ICE contacts to let them know what is happening and their location.

By now they have escaped the kill zone and established communications with their ICE contacts. This is where both you as a parent and the student will be flooded with options. Remind your student that they if they are thinking about options they are alive. This is where critical thinking needs to take over for both of you.

Once exiting the building, they should avoid open spaces like parking lots and sports fields that may be secondary kill zones. As soon as they exit the building, they need to identify a structure that they are going to move to and to keep moving no matter what. Once they are in that structure, tell them to only move if there is a good reason.

Historically shooters will seldom follow one or two targets to leave an area containing dozens.

Nothing about this subject is comfortable to even consider, but we still need to plan for it.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    good information here.

I don't have kids and I can't even imagine what it must be like for parents of kids that go to a public school targeted by some trigger happy psyco.

There should be a PSA or a video giving tips about this subject.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Annoying, but essential

While this subject is not discussed often or openly, it is essential to consider responses to these actions in order to show students and teachers how to respond to these events. Even though we prefer to believe that "it won't happen in my school".

My first thought is that we need to get off the dime and properly train and arm willing teachers. Just as we have finally done with airline pilots after so many years.

Each of us knows that defensive reactions to self defense situations put all of us at a disadvantage, and we need to teach prepartion and offensive tactics to keep everyone safe.

Capt. Art

Note to twocan I did not mean to parrot you I was working on this and when I finally finished and posted I seen we had a similar post. I guess great minds think alike, lol.

These shootings are going to keep happening and will only be minimized when some common sense happens in our school and colleges. We have to go beyond what we have changed since Columbine. Now we do not wait till SWAT arrives; the first arriving officers go in dynamically to take the active shooter out ASAP. Waiting for SWAT is 30 minutes to over an hour has shortened to under 10 minutes for police officers to arrive. That is still a lot of time for the shooter to massacre many lives. School Resource Officers are a good step but they need to be armed and well trained but they are often not and are spread to thin. We need very well trained first responders inside the school made of up teachers, coaches and administrators. They need to be trained in Active Shooter Techniques and coordinated with the local police that will be responding. This is just a fantasy it probably will never happen. We know most in academia are very anti-gun and getting the laws changed to allow this would be hard because of all the anti-gun politicians and anti-gun media. So I guess we will just get used to more massacres at our schools and people saying "we never thought it could have happened here."
    Last edited by ms121269; February 26th, 2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Carry gun Glock 22 modified by my friend Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat + Crimson Trace LG-417.

2nd Kahr PM40 or .32 NAA.

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I like the idea of training and arming teachers who are able and willing.

But in such a liberally skewed job, you're not likely to find many.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    We had them at our school! I used to shoot with two of my coaches and my many of my other teachers loved to hunt. I know many that had a firearm in their vehicle along with some others that probably shouldn't have but enjoyed hunting before class. Plus I only graduated with 21 kids in my class. Very small school but it can happen anywhere and I think teachers should be allowed to carry even people knowing that might deter some shootings and provide a quicker response in others. I'm all for it.

We do training at our local schools and have had many teachers say they wish they could carry inside. There are some and some is all you would need of teachers that are pro-gun and many of them are ex-military or in the Reserves or Guard. One thing we have wondered on the legality of a teacher who is also a Reserve Police Officer if that would get around some of the problems, but that is above my pay grade on seeing if that can happen.
    We need to look at how Israel protects there schools.
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Carry gun Glock 22 modified by my friend Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat + Crimson Trace LG-417.

NRA Life Member

ms121269:

You, sir, have a great mind!

Quote Originally Posted by twocan View Post
    ma121269:

You, sir, have a great mind!
    Can I give you my wife's email??????

NRA Life Member

Glad to help

Quote Originally Posted by ms121269 View Post
    Can I give you my wife's email??????
    Certainly, but I cannot guarantee success.

She knows you much better than I do.

Great things to be thinking about. I always enjoy reading your posts. My kids are 8,6, and 5. Not too young to start getting them trained.

My sister has been a grade school teacher for almost ten years. Just last month while talking about my CCP, she mentioned that not too long ago (last few years?) the state offered to pay for any teacher's CCP that wanted to get their permit. I have never heard anything like this outside of her comments. But she'd have a far better understanding of the ins and outs on the school level than the CCP'ers in the neighborhood... If that makes sense..

I fully support outfitting teachers and administrators with consealed permits. What would be interesting is to see where shooters then decide to slaughter.. A school that allows teachers to CC, or the ones that don't.. That statistic would pave more of the road to proving that 'gun free zones' do nothing to prevent violence.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    My sister has been a grade school teacher for almost ten years. Just last month while talking about my CCP, she mentioned that not too long ago (last few years?) the state offered to pay for any teacher's CCP that wanted to get their permit. I have never heard anything like this outside of her comments. But she'd have a far better understanding of the ins and outs on the school level than the CCP'ers in the neighborhood... If that makes sense..

I fully support outfitting teachers and administrators with consealed permits. What would be interesting is to see where shooters then decide to slaughter.. A school that allows teachers to CC, or the ones that don't.. That statistic would pave more of the road to proving that 'gun free zones' do nothing to prevent violence.
    Sam:

That would be a great idea to publish. Would you contact your sister and find out more about it.

I'm sure that many posters here or their spouses would apply if they knew it was available.

Capt. Art

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm for arming some of the teachers and school officials. I'm so sick of these gun free zones where the only unarmed people are the victims, just sick of it.

Sorry Mercop - Darn good article also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

My son (ex-military police) has taught at a public high school. He and several others were very willing to do the equivalent of the Fed Flight Deck Officer program at school. They were martial artists, other former military, even some former LE, if I remember correctly.

Of course, getting some administrative people and school boards, with all their advanced degrees and what not, to make such an intelligent decision, has not been very easily accomplished.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links