Incident on College Campus

This is a discussion on Incident on College Campus within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is actually happened or not, but even if it didn't, it's still something to think about. The other day, a friend ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Not sure if this is actually happened or not, but even if it didn't, it's still something to think about.

The other day, a friend of mine told me about something that supposedly happened in one of our freshman dorms on campus.

Apparently one of the freshmen there is a drug dealer (not really a surprise). Well I guess one night when he was in one of the lounges, a few guys piggybacked into the building, held him at gunpoint, robbed him, and proceeded to kick the snot out of him. All this was over before campus security was able to get there (If they were even informed about it).

FYI: Our residence halls are locked. People who live in them get in by swiping their ID cards. "Piggybacking" is when people who don't live in the building get in by coming in behind people who do, before the door locks. Basically, it renders the cards security system pretty useless.

Just makes you think what would be different about college life if concealed carry on campus was permitted.

On an unrelated note, I carried for the first time last week (Off campus, of course). Woo!
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

Well my immediate thought is that as a freshman he likely wouldn't be old enough to get a permit or purchase a handgun. Nor would any other freshman in the freshman dorms. Visiting upperclassmen, folks who got a late start or were academically challenged may be old enough to qualify for a permit and a a handgun purchase in a lot of states. Yeah I know there are some states that issue to 18yo and parents willing to gift handguns to 18yos as well. However, those are the exception and not the norm.

Security is up to everyone who lives there. It only takes a few careless people to cause problems for the rest of the residents. However, this is how dorms have always been, and likely always will be so long as we have dorms.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I strongly wish that all the sheep who run college campuses would wise up and see simple stuff as described above and more serious stuff like Virginia Tech. that BG's don't pay attention to laws at all.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

It's true that most of the freshmen probably wouldn't be old enough to have a permit anyway, but the RAs that live in the buildings are upperclassmen.

Also, this could have happened anywhere on campus. Even in the upperclassman dorms or on-campus apartments.

Security is up to everyone who lives there.
    That is true to an extent. But when it comes down to it, I'm not comfortable putting my life and security in the hands of a bunch of people I don't know.....just because they live in the same building.
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

Quote Originally Posted by BlackShadow0 View Post

The other day, a friend of mine told me about something that supposedly happened in one of our freshman dorms on campus.

Apparently one of the freshmen there is a drug dealer (not really a surprise). Well I guess one night when he was in one of the lounges, a few guys piggybacked into the building, held him at gunpoint, robbed him, and proceeded to kick the snot out of him. All this was over before campus security was able to get there (If they were even informed about it)...

Just makes you think what would be different about college life if concealed carry on campus was permitted.
    And if it was allowed...you'd do what?

Interfere in a drug rip?

You go ahead. I don't involve myself in other people's matters lightly...and dam sure don't get involved in the drug trade.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    And if it was allowed...you'd do what?

Interfere in a drug rip?

You go ahead. I don't involve myself in other people's matters lightly...and dam sure don't get involved in the drug trade.
    I'm not saying I sympathize with the drug dealer. But I am saying it could happen to anyone. Not just drug dealers. I'm not saying I would jump in and stop someone else from being robbed, either. But if I was ever the target, I wouldn't want to be defenseless.

If concealed carry was allowed on campus, people might be more hesitant to do this sort of thing.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Have a guard on the inside of the door armed with an M249. You would see dorm robberies plummet.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

In some states you can carry on college campus. You will not be breaking a law. Only a school rule (of course the consequences could get you kicked out)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackShadow0 View Post

If concealed carry was allowed on campus, people might be more hesitant to do this sort of thing.
    I deal with criminals all the time.

They aren't that forward thinking. The deterance effect is minimal at best. They know people carry guns. Legally and illegally.

They don't care. They care about the person carrying the weapon if they appear to be a threat.

A gun doesn't make you a threat. It's just a factor.

Some people walking around with guns are just a portable ATM & delivered firearm.
    Others walking around unarmed are dangerous people.

Gun Free Killing Zones

Isn't it sad that we have to hope that there are more people like the brave unarmed teacher in Colorado who tackled the rifle-armed student yesterday who was shooting at other students; rather than properly training and arming willing teachers to defend our students.

This would also apply to the Alabama campus where the professor shot three other professors in a meeting on campus over tenure.

We have finally armed the professional airline pilots so they can protect the passengers? Are students not as important?

Capt. Art

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    In some states you can carry on college campus. You will not be breaking a law. Only a school rule (of course the consequences could get you kicked out)
    Colorado is one of them.

See the article about the Sheriff who is fighting the College Admin

OUR VIEW: Sheriff says he'll undermine gun ban | state, gun, - Opinion - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Good for him!

Capt. Art

I'm sorry but I am having some difficulty with getting warm fuzzies with allowing College Students to carry on Campus. No disrespect to you. Understand, I spent 9 years in college and worked my ass off, but I witnessed too many incidents of excessive public drunkenness on Campus and cannot imagine allowing many of the students I went to school with the ability to terminate life with extreme prejudice.
    In my humble opinion, too many lacked the maturity for that responsibility. And yes, I will agree that not everyone is like that, and there are exceptions. But, who's going to judge that? The Faculty, Campus Security, the Government?
    I understand and fully recognize a student’s right to defend themselves. I'm really having a dilemma with this ever since they started trying to arm Students on Campus. When I first started College, back in the 60’s, there was no way I was mature enough to deal with a concealed carry. I was still trying to establish who I was and where I was headed. I was easily influenced by many outsiders, much to my parent’s dismay.

But then again, the other side of the coin is the incident a few weeks ago in Seattle where the girl was beaten after asking for help from Security Officers at a Mall, who were not allowed "BY Policy" to get involved. So how different is a Campus Security going to be able to stop an attack with enough force to stop the danger. With all the Campus Shootings, College Campuses are obviously not a safe place to be!

Here in Texas a CHL owner must be at least 21 years of age, as in most States, so I guess that's the cards we are dealt as far as the earliest a Student could carry. That's as good an age to begin CC's I guess.

But, Like I said, no disrespect to the College Students here, but I'm not sure I can support CC on Campus. But, that's just me.

This is a tough subject and I'm glad I don't have the burden to determine the decision. I'm sure that with the changing environment having Licensed CC on Campus may be a good thing.

I remember during my days on Campus a movement that was attempted to allow alcohol sales on Campus. That was the dumbest idea I ever saw my Generation try to implement. We just weren't mature enough. Now students want to carry guns to class!
    I don’t have the Answer, I just have the fear.

OK, I must admit, I read the above article about the Co Sheriff and I have to agree with him. A College Campus is a Soft Target Environment and maybe my fears are unfounded giving that thought. I have been mugged/ attacked and robbed twice in my lifetime and I remember the helpless feeling I endured. I was young both times! So, maybe having Licensed CHL carriers on Campus may help deter these Nut Job like the other day at the Littleton Middle School.
    Perhaps once everyone is armed, these incidences will be a rarity. My son has been to Israel several times and he says it is a very secure place to visit even with the Palestinians so close.
    He's more afraid to go to Downtown Dallas than he is Tel Aviv. GO Figure!

Curt58:

I am more leaning toward taking baby steps and arming and training the willing professors rather than all of the students.

I agree with your recollections of your judgement in college, I suspect that my personal growth was similar; but I also remember many of my fellow students who were older and had served in the military. They certainly could have helped defend us in an armed encounter.

My biggest problem is the one size fits all approach taken by administrators especially when it creates a gun free killing zone.

Maybe a good approach would be to reinstall shooting ranges and gun safety courses in high school basements as we had years ago.

Capt. Art

Curt58: I'll admit I couldn't bare to read your whole post because your first and main point doesn't make any sense. What is so different about a college campus? The same people, students over 21 and faculty/staff, can carry almost anywhere but when they step foot on campus it is somehow no longer safe for them to be armed? Are you sure you're not a University administrator? ;-)

Your reasoning seems to be that college students are generally immature. In my experience those immature people would not be legally able to obtain a carry permit because the vast majority are underage.

We don't need every person on a campus armed, just the good guys. As a college student, I'd love to be able to carry on campus. I am emailed police incident reports of robberies committed on campus or just outside of campus almost weekly. Does this mean I think my campus is unsafe? No, actually I think it's just as safe as anywhere else I go. I often leave the library when it's dark and have about a 10min walk to my car in the parking garage. My campus has sworn, armed police officers but obviously they can't stop all crime or be everywhere at once.

As for the ever-so-common idea that "a gun will get pulled by a drunken student, who is carrying at a party, to settle an argument," I just can't see it being any more likely than if carrying was not allowed. Only a fool, likely already a criminal, would do something so dumb to begin with and would not qualify for a permit. Most college parties are held off campus anyway so anyone with a permit could carry there regardless. Obviously it wouldn't be a smart idea if they were drinking.

If you fear students, faculty, and staff legally carrying then you should consider staying inside your house at all times... never know when you might be standing next to one in line at the supermarket.

I read the police blotter for my campus, which mostly consists of underage drunken coeds 'fraternizing' in hallways, non-students coming on campus in search of weed, and lots of bike/electronics theft. I'm less concerned about random crime or drunken frats popping rounds into the air than an active shooter incident or terrorist incident.

The campus is very diverse -- which means the melting pot may at one point boil ove because of ethnic or religious slights (real or perceived) against one group or another, either at a local or international level.
    Last edited by HotGuns; March 1st, 2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: language workaround

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links