C'mon people, really? - Page 3

C'mon people, really?

This is a discussion on C'mon people, really? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My reply to the original thead: The gun is for my protection. In the given scenario I might have acted, but pulling the trigger is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My reply to the original thead:

The gun is for my protection. In the given scenario I might have acted, but pulling the trigger is the absolute last thing on the list, for the obvious reasons. Many things can be explained, but bullets once in flight are out of your control. Classic case of being right and wrong all at the same time. And trust me, if you had shot, when that bit of malodorous news hits the airwaves, you are screwed. "Man shoots father as daughter watches" is a no-winner.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    As far as I know the story I posted actually happened. It was part of an email I got from USCCA. The point of the article was that (obviously) the gun shouldn't always be our first choice.

Put yourself in dad's shoes for just a second, you're driving home W/ your disobediant brat of a child when someone you don't know points a gun at your car

How would you react?
    If I am in MY car, with MY daugther and someone pulls a gun on me and my family I would defend myself.
    A situation like the one described could get pretty ugly, pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I tried reading all the comments and excuse me if I am repeating but the young girl was NEVER in imminent danger of bodily harm or death. It might have been the outcome later on if the driver was indeed a pervert, but at the time you were there, nothing happened that can be construed as imminent danger--in your mind maybe, but not from the facts--your mind and your thinking do not count--yes your mind could be right and that would have been unfortunate, but it is not up to you under the circumstances presented.
    Question: What would have happened and what would you do if the father, instead of pushing child in car, grabbed the kid and started to "whip her ass". It is somewhat different in that you can at least approach and say something but at what point do you find this situation something that you will intervene in? Imminent danger of death or bodily injury is quite far down the line from a good "whip your ass"---I would hope that your firearm is not on your side as you go over to this situation.
    If it IS the parent and they are spanking a stubborn child, it is none of your business!! too many jerks, even in law enforcement that would get involved (as long as punishment is not excessive) that need their ___ whipped! that is some of what is wrong in this country.

let me add, if he is beating, intervene YES but spanking NO

Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    First, I'm going to get the make, model and license # and color and description of the man and girl and I'm going to get to my vehicle and try and keep the vehicle in sight if not, see which way the other kid rann and find her and see what she has to say (shed that light on this story) and either resolve it or confirm my fears.

If they pull up to a house, I'll inform the cops and let them handle the situation from there, I won't automatically assume that it's the kids house (you never know).
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Carrying a weapon does not always equate to drawing a weapon. Obtaining lic. plate number and calling 911 would be the proper course of action in my book. I always think of my CCW as the very last resort to personal or family protection
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Your Instructor obviously didn't do well in getting thru to you! As stated above by others,YOU have no Idea if this is a family member,your actions are all based on assumptions,and you could very well be sitting in Jail on murder charges not to mention tarnishing the reputation of other CC people.
    It's the people like this,that once they get a CC permit,they think all of a sudden it gives them the opportunity to be a off duty Cop that get's my goat.THINK before you ACT if you can't give up your CC permit. Carrying is a big responsibility,don't let the fact that you do make your head so big you forget that!

As I posted on the original thread: So many conceal carriers scare the hell out of me.

Anyone keeping their wits about them should handle this right. Many have said, as I did, from the start I was thinking father. Yes, I maybe went beyond with using the threat of force in finding out the situation. I'm happy to defend myself against a brandishing charge instead of murder charge in this aftermath. Many of you are right as to the wha ifs, if the father had a weapon. Another point I made is why wouldnt you be screaming at the othr girl, asking what's going on. She would have told you it was the father.

Anyone who thinks shooting is justified when witnessing this, with these facts or lack thereof, should be turning in their permit. These are the people who will get all our rights taken away!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i keep mine in a baby food jar...takes up less space in the wifes sock drawer...

Drawing down on this guy would not have been a bad...

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just what kind of reaction are you expecting? That every weapon-carrying, red-blooded, testosterone-soaked American boy would be running up to the dirty-jeans guy and shoving a gun up his nose???

Frankly, I'm impressed that the response has been as damped as it was. I want people who carry weapons to leave the brain engaged full time and not jump to rash conclusions about who needs to be drawn down on. Don't confuse this with apathy or lack of courage, think of it as slowing things down for a few seconds to avoid making an irreversible decision.
    Idea considering what was seen going down. I would have been running toward him, gun out shouting to let her go. I would not have been in trouble for that as my "perception" was of a child abduction. Anyone would have thought the same thing.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I would not have been in trouble for that as my "perception" was of a child abduction. Anyone would have thought the same thing.

That's really the point. A clear majority would not have seen this as a child abduction. The friend isn't acting up as if her friend was just nabbed off the street. Don't know if the child in the truck could be seen, how was she acting?

The OP of this thread talks about people losing their stones. What this really is about is all the people out there that have some cop mentality because they are permitted to conceal their handgun.

There wer a number of actions that a reasonable person would take within the few seconds of having to act here. As I said, yelling at the friend "who is that, what's going on", getting father to stop w/o brandishing, etc.

Simply put, some people here would have murdered the father due to not knowing or trying to find out what was going on. Just unbelievable.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
    The OP of this thread talks about people losing their stones.
    ... when it's really about retaining the ability to think, during situations.

There wer a number of actions that a reasonable person would take within the few seconds of having to act here.
    Yup.

Though, to be fair, consider how close to an abduction this type of situation really seems, and what our responses might be in something we 99% believed was a clear abduction. Now, imagine that abduction was of a 6yr old child.

In a civil world, our community (via the statutes) would recognize the sanity of stopping such a situation from resulting in the taking of the "child," instead first determining the nature of the situation before allowing the child to disappear. But given how our society dissuades people from interfering in the business of other citizens, such involvement can be extremely expensive. Given the knee-jerk response deemed appropriate by so many, today, it can get deadly dangerous at the drop of a hat. I'm sure that's what the poster was describing, when referencing "stones."

Simply put, some people here would have murdered the father due to not knowing or trying to find out what was going on. Just unbelievable.
    It is frightening.

Strapping on a life-saving defensive tool requires cinching up (sharpening and improving) one's mental capacities for the duration, not the opposite.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Originally posted by havegunjoeIdea considering what was seen going down. I would have been running toward him, gun out shouting to let her go. I would not have been in trouble for that as my "perception" was of a child abduction. Anyone would have thought the same thing.
    What do you think the father's "perception" is going to be when he sees an armed, strange man running at his vehicle ( the one W/ his child in it)? Any reasonable person would assume you were a car jacker

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just what kind of reaction are you expecting? That every weapon-carrying, red-blooded, testosterone-soaked American boy would be running up to the dirty-jeans guy and shoving a gun up his nose???

Frankly, I'm impressed that the response has been as damped as it was. I want people who carry weapons to leave the brain engaged full time and not jump to rash conclusions about who needs to be drawn down on. Don't confuse this with apathy or lack of courage, think of it as slowing things down for a few seconds to avoid making an irreversible decision.
    Thank you finally a voice of reason.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links